• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How would reducing the length of field of play from 100m to 93m affect Rugby?

The value of PG should be decreased from 3 to 2--but in the case from team's own half the value should be 3.
And under the current rule in the case of FK, scoring by kicking is not allowed. But it should be allowed--the value should be 1, and 2 in the case from team's own half.

And the time should be changed to the playing-time system (20mins half).

Are you trying to invent a new game? Why not a triangular pitch and have 3 teams play at the same time?

i get you, but the beauty of rugby union is that it's a game of tactics and that is a genuine tactical consideration as to whether they take the 3 or go for the 5.

On the flip side. If you were to increase a pen in league to 3 points. They would still more than likely go for touch. The restart is essentially uncontested. So reduces the risk of a turnover.

Don't give him ideas, Kenny!

I'm pretty sure the new Australian NRC is going to be implementing the 2-point penalty.
So we will finally be able to see what impact it has on a game.

They haven't announced exactly what they are doing - but they do plan on implementing various experimental rules.

They haven't announced exactly what they are doing - but they do plan on implementing various experimental rules.

I've a good rule. If you catch the ball on the full in your own 22 you essentially have an advantage play until you pass or cross halfway.
Help encourage running rugby and punish rubbish kicks and kick chases.
It needs a little refinement, but it could work.

The value of DG should be 2 points from the opponents' half, and 3 points from the own half.
And the scoring system should be same in RU and RL.

Why should it be the same? They're completely different sports.
Why don't golf and snooker have the same scoring system too?

I think if you manage to hit the uprights when kicking you should get 10 points. If you manage to knock yourself out during the game, your team gets a bonus point. Players who get a yellow card should wear a dunces hat for the duration. A streaker should come on after each try and you can choose to kick for goal or try to tackle the streaker. You have 20 seconds and if you get the streaker, you get 4 points but lose 4 if you don't. A priest should control the scrum.

I think if you manage to hit the uprights when kicking you should get 10 points. If you manage to knock yourself out during the game, your team gets a bonus point. Players who get a yellow card should wear a dunces hat for the duration. A streaker should come on after each try and you can choose to kick for goal or try to tackle the streaker. You have 20 seconds and if you get the streaker, you get 4 points but lose 4 if you don't. A priest should control the scrum.

I would love this rule. Love it.

When you say priest can it be a religious preacher in general. Or do they have to be Christian? And if so, you never specified when denomination.

If anything, with players now bulked up more than ever and space becoming a premium, the width of the field should be increased. The length could well be shortened to increase scoring.

Random point, who made the French "metre" the system of measurement in Rugby anyway?. Other British sports (football, cricket, tennis, golf) measure by yards and feet.

I say why stop at the size of the field? Why not get rid of the halves, make each match four quarters of 15 minutes each (reducing the time played to 60 minutes, making it better for both tv programming and advertisers), and in the event of a tie game there should be a 'kick off' in which each team is allowed three penalty kicks each, and whichever side makes the most goals, wins. If, after the penalty kicks, the game still remains tied, then each team is reduced down to 7 men and they play a 'sudden death' rugby 7s-style game until someone scores.

Also, I'm all for ragerancher's yellow card-dunce cap idea. :lol:

das

I'd enjoy a rule where it's 2 points if Australia get a penalty and 3 for everyone else.

I don't see why they wouldn't be - it's a stand-alone competition with no bearing on anything so there isn't any real reason for them to object.

The SA Varsity cup already implements experimental rules every year - they are currently trialling:
- Propping shirts
- New scoring system: 3 point conversion - 2 point penalty/DG
- "Free catch rule" - basically if you catch a kick from an opposition player anywhere on the pitch before it lands on the ground then you have a free kick advantage.
- 2 referees

Last edited:
I don't see why they wouldn't be - it's a stand-alone competition with no bearing on anything so there isn't any real reason for them to object.

The SA Varsity cup already implements experimental rules every year.

Yeah I guess. I just assumed that the scoring system was something fairly immutable without wider consent from the IRB or somone.

I say why stop at the size of the field? Why not get rid of the halves, make each match four quarters of 15 minutes each (reducing the time played to 60 minutes, making it better for both tv programming and advertisers), and in the event of a tie game there should be a 'kick off' in which each team is allowed three penalty kicks each, and whichever side makes the most goals, wins. If, after the penalty kicks, the game still remains tied, then each team is reduced down to 7 men and they play a 'sudden death' rugby 7s-style game until someone scores.

Also, I'm all for ragerancher's yellow card-dunce cap idea. :lol:

das

As for time, I advocate the change from the current running-time system to the playing-time system.
According to this article, the average playing time is 35:25. So, I advocate the change to the 20mins-half playing-time system.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/09/03/how-long-is-a-rugby-match-really/
http://megalodon.jp/2013-0608-2247-.../2012/09/03/how-long-is-a-rugby-match-really/

And I am strongly opposed to the golden score extra-time of 7s, because this system is very unfair. In Rugby kick-off plays an important role, particularly in 7s. So the current extra-time system should be abolished.

I advocate that extra-time of 15-player Rugby should be played by 10-player teams.

if they reduce it to 93m then morne steyn and dan carter would be able to kick it from everywhere :|

Latest posts