• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Howley the worst coach in my lifetime

GarethEWilliams

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
I always try to be positive about all things Welsh rugby and try not to just laden blame on people or bemoan bad luck, but I can't think of a worse coach in the last 20 years (for Wales!)

1 Poor team selections, picking people who haven't played and not picking people in form.
2 For someone who was supposed to be an attack coach I see very little invention apart from give it to a big guy and run hard.
3 I know you shouldn't have to get people up for international rugby but I don't see much in him that would get players fired up (I could be wrong).
4 Scared to change things. Good coaches can see when things are not right and change it sooner.
5 No plan B.

When I heard Gatland was going to the Lions I was so gutted and could see us losing our way, and at the time I said why not give it to Edwards, at least he wouldn't take any Sh.....

Ron Waldron might have something to say :lol:

Interestingly Gwyn Jones on Scrum V last night argued that under Howley Wales arn't playing any differently to under Gatland, they're just not executing as well.

Can you really shoulder blame execution/mistakes on Howley?

Selection, different matter. Tipuric needs to be playing, as does Paul James. And in my opinion, Cuthbert needs replacing until he can cut out defensive errors. But again, Gwyn pointed out that under Gatland Wales selections have always been very persistent and consistent, trusting players to grow into the shirt and not making them worry about being dropped. Arguably, whats different now?

Steve Hansen made even worse selection errors and led Wales to an even worse losing streak. And only came across some better players due to fluke of them playing really well against New Zealand in 2003.

He has gone on to become the current IRB coach of the year (although I think New Zealand could have had the year they had without him anyway tbh), but that doesn't change the fact that Wales were awful under him for a period. In 2003 we lost all the 6 Nations matches. And 55-3 to New Zealand in the summer, and then lost 43-9 to an England reserve team in a World Cup warm up and went on a 10 match record losing streak. Nearly lost to Tonga at the RWC as well.

Also he famously selected a players like Craig Morgan and even Matthew Watkins (a centre out of position) ahead of the legendary Shane Williams who was taken to Australia in 2003 as third choice scrum half. And also he destroyed Adam Jones' morale by making him a laughing stock by subbing him off for 30 minutes, and Adam has had to work hard to recover his reputation from that. Also went into a World Cup with Ceri Sweeney initially preferred as first choice fly half ahead of Stephen Jones.

Andy-Robinson-001.jpg

How many matches have you enjoyed under his tenure as head coach? (with anyone)

How many matches have you enjoyed under his tenure as head coach? (with anyone)

Wales vs Scotland 2010.

Anyway, that's not the point, Wales under Gareth Jenkins had quite a few exciting matches like Fiji in 2007, but he still didn't do well with Wales.. The fact is, that Robinson did better with Scotland than Frank Hadden or Matt Williams did, and I would put my money on that he will have a better record than Scott Johnson will have.

He beat Australia twice, and South Africa once, as well as undefeated tour to Argentina, with a side that Lions contenders you can count on one hand, and with players like Nick de Luca for his tenure as coach. I don't think he many would have done a better job with Scotland considering the players he had, and predict they could slide down under Scott Johnson.

He also notably got Edinburgh to finish second in the Magners League one year, and also beat Leicester and Leinster in the Heineken Cup one season. Good achievements considering the circumstances he got that job in.

To be fair Howley never asked to be made the Wales head coach. - I think he's a good coach, just not everyone is suitable to be a number 1 head coach.

He also doesn't strike me as being very motivating - at least not when he's being interviewed.

Ok so are we saying that Howley is just trying to do what Gatland done and not be himself? I have just never been impressed with him, and feel Shaun Edwards would have been a more positive move. Maybe I was trying to be sensationalist with him being the worst I have even seen, but I fail to see any positives in what he has done.

Would love to know what he is introducing/doing in training and tactics wise, or is he just saying "Do what Warren said you should do"?

To be fair Howley never asked to be made the Wales head coach. - I think he's a good coach, just not everyone is suitable to be a number 1 head coach.

He also doesn't strike me as being very motivating - at least not when he's being interviewed.

Yeah this is very true, to be fair I can't really comment on he basic coaching abilities, I am sure he wouldn't have got to where he is today if he was rubbish, just not a head coach.

An Englishman in charge of Wales not in a million years.

How has Howley got 14%? I thought he's lost every game?

Latest posts