Hugo Ellis signs for ambitious Newport Gwent Dragons

Discussion in 'Guinness Pro12' started by TRF_Cymro, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TRF_Cymro

TRF_Cymro Cymro The White

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

[​IMG]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ng_dragons/8738910.stm

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Paul Turner is doing a brilliant job building a competitive Dragons squad on a shoe string budget. A decent showing in Europe for his charges could bring about a move to a big club for the Dragons coach.

4. dullonien

dullonien Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

This could be interesting. I remember being impressed with the guy during the U20 world cup a couple of years ago. Will add yet more depth to the Dragons squad which is shaping up quite nicely tbh. Good to see another young backrow player interested in playing for Wales, we certainly need them. Didn't realise he represented Wales at U16 level, so obviously got some Welsh blood in him, and were not just poaching an English player.

One thing is certain, Paul Turner will get the best out of the lad, and he'll probably see alot of gametime.

Turner and Dai Young could form a very good coaching team for Wales in the future when Gatland moves on.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. TRF_Cymro

TRF_Cymro Cymro The White

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

Be interesting to here if he can play 8. From what I have seen he looks good. He has stated that he would like to play for Wales so its a good move for all.

6. MichaelBoard

MichaelBoard Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

snoopy snoopy dog dog, i really hope Paul Turner stays put, hes a quality coach, but then again dullonien what you say about Turner and Young coaching Wales would be good

7. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Has Ellis had much gametime with Wasps in the last few seasons? I haven't heard all that much about him to be honest.

Dragons' signings really haven't impressed me yet. None of the new acquisitions really cause much excitement and seem to be squad players at best. While admittedly strength in depth has to be built, you'd really want some bigger names operating out of Newport to help build on last season's impressive display. Then again, there haven't been that many big signings by Celtic teams this year.

8. cyRil

cyRil Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Ospreys

They really haven't got the money, resources or stadium (or attractive location) to bring in quality players. I think Turner's doing a brilliant job with what he has available to him, and I guess he is, as people are saying, trying to get a greater squad depth whilst also promoting younger Welsh players into better quality matches.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!