TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_48068234_hugoellis-huw.jpg

England's former under-20 Junior World Championship captain Hugo Ellis has joined the Newport Gwent Dragons - as he bids to play senior rugby for Wales.

The 22-year-old back-row forward, who had represented Wales under-16s before switching nations to play for England, has signed from English giants Wasps.

"It's a boost to have a player of Hugo's potential joining the Dragons," said Dragons team manager Robert Beale.

Ellis is Dragons coach Paul Turner's fourth signing already this summer.

He is set to replace Grant Webb as the Rodney Parade's region number eight as Webb is one of three New Zealanders, along with James Arlidge and Hoani MacDonald, to leave the Dragons.

Ellis joins Canada full-back Matt Evans, scrum-half Nicky Griffiths from Doncaster and former Wales fly-half Matthew Jones at the Dragons over the summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ng_dragons/8738910.stm

Paul Turner is doing a brilliant job building a competitive Dragons squad on a shoe string budget. A decent showing in Europe for his charges could bring about a move to a big club for the Dragons coach.

This could be interesting. I remember being impressed with the guy during the U20 world cup a couple of years ago. Will add yet more depth to the Dragons squad which is shaping up quite nicely tbh. Good to see another young backrow player interested in playing for Wales, we certainly need them. Didn't realise he represented Wales at U16 level, so obviously got some Welsh blood in him, and were not just poaching an English player.

One thing is certain, Paul Turner will get the best out of the lad, and he'll probably see alot of gametime.

Turner and Dai Young could form a very good coaching team for Wales in the future when Gatland moves on.

Last edited:
Be interesting to here if he can play 8. From what I have seen he looks good. He has stated that he would like to play for Wales so its a good move for all.

snoopy snoopy dog dog, i really hope Paul Turner stays put, hes a quality coach, but then again dullonien what you say about Turner and Young coaching Wales would be good

Has Ellis had much gametime with Wasps in the last few seasons? I haven't heard all that much about him to be honest.

Dragons' signings really haven't impressed me yet. None of the new acquisitions really cause much excitement and seem to be squad players at best. While admittedly strength in depth has to be built, you'd really want some bigger names operating out of Newport to help build on last season's impressive display. Then again, there haven't been that many big signings by Celtic teams this year.

They really haven't got the money, resources or stadium (or attractive location) to bring in quality players. I think Turner's doing a brilliant job with what he has available to him, and I guess he is, as people are saying, trying to get a greater squad depth whilst also promoting younger Welsh players into better quality matches.

Latest posts