TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Hurricanes_General3.jpg

With five members of last year's wider training group earning full squad contracts, Mark Hammett notes the importance these players have in the team.
http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=32961

Wider training group: Michael Coman (Hawke's Bay), Scott Fuglistaller (Wellington), Whetu Henry (Wellington), Serge Lilo (Wellington), James Marshall (Tasman), Jackson Ormond (Taranaki), Blade Thomson (Taranaki), Frae Wilson (Wellington)

A few interesting names there. Not sure about Whetu Henry, but to be honest there really aren't any other props left in the Canes region to choose from - all the good ones are either playing for the Canes, other franchises (notably the Chiefs and Highlanders) or have left overseas. I think the choice probably came down to the likes Henry, Te Moana, Carmichael, or Poson - none of them are overly attractive options.

Good to see Blade Thomson get a contract. He still needs to bulk up a bit before he is ready for Super Rugby, but he certainly has the potential. I'm not sure about the necessity of two openside flankers in the squad. Fugistaller is a good NPC player, but I would have found room for Trent Boswell-Wakefield, who I rate very highly. I would have actually found room for either him or Ben Souness ahead of Mike Coman too, as I think the Canes could really do with high work-rate players such as Boswell-Wakefield or Souness. I am wondering whether Souness is injured, as I would have thought he should be with the Sevens squad given he didn't get a wider training squad contract.

Happy to see Frae Wilson their - he's got some good potential, but seems to have stalled a bit over the last year or so. James Marshall was always going to be picked due to the fact he was promised a wider training spot when he transferred to Taranaki, and his form over recent seasons does warrant him a spot. The big omission for me is that of Gillies Kaka - he should have made a main Super Rugby squad, so I have no idea why how he missed out on this squad (and the NZ Sevens squad). I'm happy Ormond made the squad, but Kaka is still a better player in my opinion. It explains why Ormond isn't with the NZ Sevens team (though does beg the question: why is James Marshall with the Sevens team?),

Last edited:

Latest posts