• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hypothetical Question - The Seven Nations

Can you imagine the Yanks seriously investing in rugby? Especially in the hypothetical situation of rugby replacing the NFL. I'd give them 5 years and they'd be competing with NZ for the top spot. For them, rugby is just some arbitrary sport at the moment, like netball or hockey (Not ice hockey). If they put the might of their huge population and their financial strength into rugby....watch out the rest of the world!

Can you imagine the Yanks seriously investing in rugby? Especially in the hypothetical situation of rugby replacing the NFL. I'd give them 5 years and they'd be competing with NZ for the top spot. For them, rugby is just some arbitrary sport at the moment, like netball or hockey (Not ice hockey). If they put the might of their huge population and their financial strength into rugby....watch out the rest of the world!

We'll see what happens with football in America. I do believe that educational institutions like colleges and high school will start to drop it over the next decade or two.

For rugby to replace it, the sport will really need to show that it is safer. Much safer. Otherwise schools just won't bother.

Can you imagine the Yanks seriously investing in rugby?
i disagree. u still need to understand the philosophy of rugby. that doesnt come from money or quantity of people. its a slow process that requires a national identity and effort to create their "style". i think NZ has shown that it takes a lot more than just money and numbers to come up with a winning formula.
US runs rugby like they run their gridiron. the coaches have complete control from the sidelines and dont let the players develop leadership skills on field. if the coach doesnt know what theyre doing then the teams screwed.
eg in NZ, the coach is in charge until kick off, then it comes down to the players and the captain. the coaches here arent constantly in the players ears calling plays. in the US there are audible plays called through out the entire game from the sidelines. US coaches need to learn to butt out and let the players develop their leadership skills.

also NFL players arent that much better physically than rugby players. theyre about as big and fast as league players. once they get the fitness aspect down they'll trim down and be just as mortal as international rugby players are now.

Ditto China, Brazil and probably a few others.

i disagree. u still need to understand the philosophy of rugby. that doesnt come from money or quantity of people. its a slow process that requires a national identity and effort to create their "style". i think NZ has shown that it takes a lot more than just money and numbers to come up with a winning formula.
US runs rugby like they run their gridiron. the coaches have complete control from the sidelines and dont let the players develop leadership skills on field. if the coach doesnt know what theyre doing then the teams screwed.
eg in NZ, the coach is in charge until kick off, then it comes down to the players and the captain. the coaches here arent constantly in the players ears calling plays. in the US there are audible plays called through out the entire game from the sidelines. US coaches need to learn to butt out and let the players develop their leadership skills.

also NFL players arent that much better physically than rugby players. theyre about as big and fast as league players. once they get the fitness aspect down they'll trim down and be just as mortal as international rugby players are now.

It is a sad reality in the professional era. Money in sport basically equals success. Yes, there are exceptions, but money buys the best coaches, best players (They'd simply poach the best from the other rugby nations), best nutrition, best training facilities etc etc. The end result is invariably success. Give the Yanks an Eddie Jones or a Steve Hansen or a Warren Gatland and tell me they would not see a massive improvement. Take Manchester City, they couldn't beat an egg, they get a billionaire owner, toil about for a couple of seasons...and now they are almost untouchable. It is ugly, I don't like it, but it is the way of the world.

Latest posts