• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Introducing TV Time outs to Professional Rugby

To an extent this occurs on Channel 7's coverage of international games here in Australia. There is nothing more frustrating than the "powers that be" deciding there is enough time to pop an ad or two in while a scrum is packing or lineout is being set, then coming back from the ad break and the ball is already at the 5/8. The same happens directly after a try is scored or while it's being sent to the TMO.

The lack of breaks in 15's will prevent it from ever taking hold in America. Sporting and entertainment wise, the game has everything to compete with the other American sports. But, it doesn't have the commercial viability to drive the game into millions of homes.

I'd prefer that rugby be left as it is. The lack of stoppages is something special about the game and presents it's own set of physical challenges to the players. Then again, if they're going to start toying with rolling substitutions, perhaps nothing is sacred in the chase of the almight dollar.

However, don't be surprised if 7's takes off like a rocket in America. If one didn't know it's origins, you'd think the game was made specifically for TV. American networks are beginning to take notice. While 15's struggles to get games on TV, 7's is getting airtime on major networks.

7's from what I gather from the touring US Navy Academy side said that 7's is where it is at in America with them pointing out the Las Vegas 7's as being big but they did mention 15's was on the rise but 7's is what will probably take off in America.

The lack of breaks in 15's will prevent it from ever taking hold in America. Sporting and entertainment wise, the game has everything to compete with the other American sports. But, it doesn't have the commercial viability to drive the game into millions of homes.

I'd prefer that rugby be left as it is. The lack of stoppages is something special about the game and presents it's own set of physical challenges to the players. Then again, if they're going to start toying with rolling substitutions, perhaps nothing is sacred in the chase of the almight dollar.

However, don't be surprised if 7's takes off like a rocket in America. If one didn't know it's origins, you'd think the game was made specifically for TV. American networks are beginning to take notice. While 15's struggles to get games on TV, 7's is getting airtime on major networks.

Yes I think 7's is going to take off in North America, especially with its inclusion as an olympic sport, it seems that USA Rugby is quite keen on pushing the sevens agenda as well and developing the sport.

7's from what I gather from the touring US Navy Academy side said that 7's is where it is at in America with them pointing out the Las Vegas 7's as being big but they did mention 15's was on the rise but 7's is what will probably take off in America.

The Las Vegas 7's had better attendance than the last 6-8 Eagles matches combined. Not that it was a tough feat to accomplish, but it matters to sponsors and networks. It's a more palatable version of the game for the casual American sports fan and a great introduction to the sport to young athletes. There's every reason to believe that 15's can benefit greatly as a byproduct of 7's in many growing rugby nations, not just America.

Boooooooo! No TV Timeouts are any more Americanisms for Rugby. They didn't do it for Soccer here in the US and Soccer is fastly becoming a major sport (we still have a way to go, but it's on tv).
Setanta is now a moot point as they don't exist in the US since 28 March 2010. They had a great selection of coverage, but it's all over now.
If enough American Ruggers gave a toss about their own sport and had shelled out the measly $15 a month for the Setanta Subscription, the sport would still be around on television. ...and I swear no one mention that FOX Soccer Plus has like 2 games a week or whatever as a left over from the buyout.
Back to the main point. Adding commercial breaks is pointless. Rugby still doesn't have the viewership within it's own community. I play with a club of 50+ ruggers and only like 3 of us had Setanta. Of those 3, I was probably the only one that could talk about the proffessional game (as in naming players, talking about recent controversies, big matches, etc...).
Rugby is not going to win over the public here as they have American Football. Rugby to them is archaic and doesn't make a lot of sense. For the sport to get popular and eventually get televised we're going to have to grow new young ruggers, just like soccer did in the states. We all want this to happen within the next 5-10 years, but that's not going to happen.
Let's be patient with Rugby, let's nuture the sport, let's develop the game, let's spread the word to our friends and neighbors. When we have children let's start up mini-rugby for them and the community. Then in 30 years lets see if Rugby gets a piece of the pie that is television coverage.
Let's not whore rugby up, put her in a slutty more appealing dress and toss her at the tv execs. They aren't ready, and we'll just embarrass the game.

Reckon rugby in the US will have a boom like NFL has had in the UK ... but its the question of when.

He is currently working as an Investment Advisor for RBC Dominion Securites in Vancouver, British Columbia. Brain and brawn. He's a winner if I've ever seen one.

He is currently working as an Investment Advisor for RBC Dominion Securites in Vancouver, British Columbia. Brain and brawn. He's a winner if I've ever seen one.

This comment was supposed to be posted in a different thread... I really dunno why it poset here. it was regarding Ed Fairhurst, but you probably all know that naturally.... Very weird. Was it really worth the negative rep Cymro?

This comment was supposed to be posted in a different thread... I really dunno why it poset here. it was regarding Ed Fairhurst, but you probably all know that naturally.... Very weird. Was it really worth the negative rep Cymro?

I had no earthly idea what you were pralling on about :lol:

Don't take the neg rep to heart King D'Arce. The forum is encouraging the use of the rep system, so negative repping has gotta come with that too.

I'm going to copy and paste the offending post into the right topic so we can all enjoy it for it's intended purposes

How come there's no option in this thread for editing your posts? All the other threads, the option's there, just not this one. Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is that the creator selected some kind of option that diables editing, possibly by mistake.

I don't follow 7s much and my memory may be playing tricks on me but I recall watching a tournament many years ago and not being that impressed because it looked like Rugby League Lite.

Having seen some more recent 7s games it now appears that the game is developing more Union like traits with small scale but genuine rucking competitions, teams being able to steal the ball at the breakdown because the tackled players are not being hidden by a load of fat men piling on top so they have to release the ball early. Simple stuff that fans seem to know is wrong with 15s but which the IRB apparently has a complete blind spot for while it screws around with ELVs, points systems and sensors on the goals when there is little or no controversy about points having been awarded for missed kicks!

I have to say that I was more entertained by 7s as a result.

Why is the IRB not picking up that 7s becomes more entertaining when it is played like Union. Perhaps if 15s was played more like Union it would also become more entertaining!!!!

I think a sneaky ad break could be added into the programme, but in nz anyway, free to air matches are dead. i think they are on prime now, but most people have sky (pay tv) and watch it live with no ads.

Bars are also getting more people in to watch games (Especially thursday games, and sunday games (well league anyway) if their teams are going well) by bar was in the drinksbiz mag about having MYSKI HDI in bars, and we can record games then play them back at a normal time (ie a 3am ab's game getting replayed at 3pm) - however it is currently used to tape police 10-7 on thursdays, and shortie for the girls to watch after work.....

But for pay tv to work, they just need to ad sponsors to everything. have a sponsored scoreboard. sponsored comentators when their on screen, also stats, mesurements can all have a logo stuck on them by some company wanting to get out there.

but in short. no. tv timeouts will slow the game down (to some even more) its a very physical game, where if youve got the wood on a team, you dont want to let up for a silly 2min ad break, so they can catch their breath

Latest posts