• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I want to play rugby

H

hellblazes

Hello, I am a boy of 21 years. I live in Spain and next year I would like to play rugby in my university´s team. I have been measuring 180 cm and weight 98 kgs and have been going to the gym for years. In what positions could play with my height and weight?
Bye!

What you mean Bye! Obviously you don't want your question answered. :lol:

Anyways, your weight and height will definitely be suitable somewhere in the backs rather than the fowards. Maybe if you could be a little more descriptive then it would give me a more clearer understanding of which position you belong to. eg if your fast=winger; strong ball runner=centre etc. :p

Bye!

Welcome!

Captain Birdseye (i.e. Eddit O'Sullivan, Ireland manager) says:

Eddie_osullivan_200.jpg

ARRRRR ME'HEARTIES WELCOME ABOARD!

Anyway,

Yeah, you sound like you'd be better suited as a back. As Welly said though, it depends on how fast you are, do you have quick reactions and if you like to kick around with the ball allot. Stuff like that really!

Thanks to both to answer! :D

Good, the truth is that I am not very fast, but this summer, after the exams, I want to train hard to improve my physical training conditions, but mainly my speed. Before already had thought that it could play in backs, watching heights and weights of players of other leagues. Although the position that I will play already depends on as it sees the trainer me.

Really I have played very little rugby, and has been with friends of my university. For that reason, this summer, in addition I want to train with my town´s team, and thus to initiate to me better actually of rugby. I do not want to arrive at university´s team without having nor idea to play!

By the way, do you know any page where can find exercises to improve my speed? It would be to me of much utility.

Thanks for everything! ;)

You could possibly be a blindside (#6). As you're not the heaviest so could be lifted easily in lineouts. Also it may be easier to learn the game from there. Otherwise maybe a 2nd five (#12) if you're an ok tackler/passer and don't mind running the ball up every now and then, with the odd kick down field.

Basically short and sharp sprints would help develop your short twitch muscles (that control acceleration). Try sprinting from try line to 10m line then jog to 22, sprint to 40m line jog to half way etc. Also check out the above with googling will help :)

Let us know what you prefer doing, some love the physical confrontation, others running around people, some kicking. That will help narrow down where you are best suited. Other than that, try out a few positions and see which one you enjoy the most. Good luck :D

Understanding the dynamics of what happens at a ruck will help you immensely....otherwise it will be all a bit confusing as well as painful.

Greeting Hellblazers, and welcome to TRF.

Wrt your question, which other sports have you played before, and in which position? This can also help to understand which position will be more suited to you.

For example, if you played football/soccer, and played as a defender/goalkeeper, you might be suited to fullback, being good under the high ball and having a decent boot. Also, if you are good with the physical stuff like for example wrestling, you might just make a good inside centre or openside flanker(12 or 7).

Hey i reckon with your height and weight i would say a great inside centre. Or possibly somewhere in the forwards- maybe second row

Goodluck

Hey i reckon with your height and weight i would say a great inside centre. Or possibly somewhere in the forwards- maybe second row

Goodluck
[/b]

Playing lock in a university team would be a bit too short at 1.80m, generally. But how would I know :p hellblazes if you're the tallest in your team than I recommend you to try out the lock position.

Hello, I am a boy of 21 years. I live in Spain and next year I would like to play rugby in my university´s team. I have been measuring 180 cm and weight 98 kgs and have been going to the gym for years. In what positions could play with my height and weight?
Bye! [/b]

mmm you sound like a strong young man..mm

seriosuly though, probbly too short for anywhere in the forwards if you wanted to play long term or at a decent level... you're a back, you could be a good crash and bash centre (number 13) i'd say.

it also depends if you have any skills. if you're freaking quick then perhaps on the wings (number 11 or 13) or good under the high ball/tackling/kick then fullback (number 15), great passer then halfback (number 9) or spot on kicker then first five (number 10) or that also opens up the door for second five (12) or fullback again too (15).

mm strong...

Its not that simple really, basically any player can play any position no matter what size (well, with limitations of course :D ). Just because someone is 125kg doesn't mean he will be destined to be a prop forward, a good example of this is Jonah Lomu. 120kg-ish but could still run 100m in 11 seconds. I'm 70 kg/156lbs and only 170cm/5'7 tall but I play in the back row in U17s, and i'd like to say I play well there. Most people say I should play wing because i'm on the short side, but, I personally don't think I could play in the backline (I used to play halfback, but was dead boring and I wasn't that great), I like to think I play well in the forward pack. You could be 98kg and play in the backline, meanwhile another 98kg player could play in the second row even though both the same weight, its all down to technique really. Only you could choose the position you play, so you have to be honest in yourself and decide what you're good at, and what your not.

Like are you quick, or a good defender, have a good kicking game, light on your feet (agility) etc., then use your strengths and weaknesses into deciding a good position for yourself.

Welcome!
Try Fartlek Training. I know the name sounds funny, but click that link to learn more. It will help with endurance and speed burst.
[/b]

Gee is that link Spanish or something similar....could only get the gist of words like "aeróbicos" or "anaeróbicos" which are probably the "término" for aerobic and anaroebic.....I also think I understood "Historial" and "Discusión" and probably "Categorías" as well as "Artículo" and "Editar".......hell I think I can speaka da Espanol!

<div class='quotemain'> Welcome!
Try Fartlek Training. I know the name sounds funny, but click that link to learn more. It will help with endurance and speed burst.
[/b]

Gee is that link Spanish or something similar....could only get the gist of words like "aeróbicos" or "anaeróbicos" which are probably the "término" for aerobic and anaroebic.....I also think I understood "Historial" and "Discusión" and probably "Categorías" as well as "Artículo" and "Editar".......hell I think I can speaka da Espanol!

[/b][/quote]
Well, our friend is Spanish, so I thought I'd be polite and give him a link in his own language...but for everyone else click here: Fartlek Training
But, yeah...all those words make a lot of sense.

What you mean Bye! Obviously you don't want your question answered. :lol:

Anyways, your weight and height will definitely be suitable somewhere in the backs rather than the fowards. Maybe if you could be a little more descriptive then it would give me a more clearer understanding of which position you belong to. eg if your fast=winger; strong ball runner=centre etc. :p

Bye! [/b]

Why? After all Rafael Ibanez, the France hooker, is 1m80 and 96 kg. Szarzewski is a bit taller and weights 95 kg...

I think you should play somewhere in the fowards. Its more physical but it will imo give you a better understanding of the game. You can always go to the backs afterwards if you prefer to play there.

I'd say a centre or a back-row forward. They're some of the most fun and busy positions, so it will help pick up the game quicker in theory

Latest posts