• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IMO - This game is so much better than Rugby06

T

thomashenry

In response to AirBen - I would have stated the reasons why RC2006 is infinitely better than R06, but Ripper locked the thread - sorry about that.

1. Game engine - RC2006 is smooth and tight , R06 is jerky and all over the place. RC 2006 runs at 60Hz the whole time (as any good game should), whereas R06 goes at 25/30Hz - IMO this is unacceptable for a PS2 game.

2. Responsiveness - RC2006 responds instantly to your control - R06 is sluggish and lags behind, often not even picking up your input. Passing movements on RC2006 are slick and fast - you FEEL IN CONTROL. In Rugby 06 you constantly feel like the games is not keeping up with what you are trying to tell it to do.

3. Player intelligence - in RC2006 your team mates play like sensible rugby players - in R06 they run around like headless chickens. Just look what happens what you take a tap penaluty - every player on the pitch rushes in to the ball and nails you before you've even finished the tap!

4. Cameras - RC2006 has the best camera ever seen in a rugby game - far spinning end. The cameras in r06 are very poor.

Rugby06 is only a marginal improvement on Rugby 05, which I thought was a terrible, terrible game. RC2006 is a significant improvement on WCR, which was flawed but good fun.

Still - if you prefer R06 to RC2006, then that's fine - you just have a VERY different idea about what a good game is to me. I tend to go for playability over number of (superfluous) features.

Much better thread ;)

Although it could have been said elsewhere...

Anyway, I haven't played Rugby 06, but all of that I agree with in comparison to Rugby 2005.

...Except far spinning end. I've been having a great time with near spinning end. Wonderful seeing your offloads leading up to tries...

Originally posted by thomashenry@Feb 12 2006, 02:05 PM

Still - if you prefer R06 to RC2006, then that's fine - you just have a VERY different idea about what a good game is to me. I tend to go for playability over number of (superfluous) features.
You're stating your opinion very aggressively mate. What's your problem with people who prefer Rugby 06? I haven't played Rugby 06 yet, but I personally don't like RC much at all... it just feels like a game of crash and bash arcade rugby, with unrealistic player movement and shallow set-peices, and also looks too toony for my liking, but I don't go around starting threads in an effort to criticise those who like the game.

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 12 2006, 06:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-thomashenry
@Feb 12 2006, 02:05 PM

You're stating your opinion very aggressively mate. What's your problem with people who prefer Rugby 06? I haven't played Rugby 06 yet, but I personally don't like RC much at all... it just feels like a game of crash and bash arcade rugby, with unrealistic player movement and shallow set-peices, and also looks too toony for my liking, but I don't go around starting threads in an effort to criticise those who like the game. [/b]
Funny how you quoted one of his least aggressive sentences.

But yeah, to each their own.

Neither game will be perfect, and it will all come down to opinion.

Thing with RC for me is that if you give it time, you will discover more and more things... Little things... which all add depth to a seemingly simple game.

From the start I was holding my finger down on the sprint button and shifting it out to the wings. Left right left right left right, until I scored a try. Now though, now I've spent time working the game out, I have scored some great tries, conceded great tries, and almost mastered offloading and sprinting. It's become more of a game of tactics rather than speed.

This never happened with Rugby 05, I played it and played it and then got bored, Went back to it every now and then, but still the same result. Boredom.
Which is the reason I remain neutral until I see it for myself.
The same was for RC. I found WCR to be very simple crap.

Yours sincerely,

Richard Kopf.

Get it! Richard Kopf! hahaha. Update ur German if u dont get it :p

As for the game, i agree with kaftka, BUT i would prefer Rugby 06 because i like sim games. But i would invest in hiring out RC2006

Originally posted by maddog79@Feb 12 2006, 07:16 PM
Get it! Richard Kopf! hahaha. Update ur German if u dont get it :p
;)

[edit] This was my 4,000th post.

What a waste.

well I haven't played R2006 either but i'm desperate for it to come out so i can get my hands on it. r2005 was great on the surface but too flawed under the hood, if they have fixed those flaws i will enjoy it.

i used to play WCR on sideview but now use spinning far end and sometimes near end on rc2006. for me it's the most realistic union game at the moment because the players keep their positions and don't all face the ball.

i'm finding the game quite more of a challenge int he scoring department. my main problem is that normal mode is still a challenge to score against top teams but that the AI isn't doing enough to challenge my defence and score tries. this is much improved on IC mode but it's even harder to score there.

rc2006 is so slick and smooth it's pretty awesome once you get into the game. i really wish you could swap player positions on the field though instead of just subbing and also customise the teams in game (hopefully the editor will fix the later).

I want r2006 to be better for the only reason that rc2006 has set the standard quite high. rc2006 does not play out like WCR, it has a great kicking system, it has the an almost perfect kick at goal system (the best i've ever seen) and only really silly passes ever end up not going to the right man. i havent thrown it 60m down the field yet.

all that's really missing is some cool set play features, a better lineout (i hate the sucky lineout :%#%#: ) and an improved AI attack in normal mode.

Originally posted by Inertia@Feb 12 2006, 10:31 PM

i used to play WCR on sideview but now use spinning far end and sometimes near end on rc2006. for me it's the most realistic union game at the moment because the players keep their positions and don't all face the ball.
Yeah - lots of people seem to have this idea that R06 is a 'sim', while RC2006 is arcadey and lacks depth. There is a huge amount of depth to RC2006, and it is far more like a game of real rugby than R06 is - so im my book RC2006 is more of a sim than R06.

Having got both games, I would say that (as much as I hate EA) R06 is the better game.

I was actually pretty disappointed in RC2006 to be honest but I've heard it's a grower so maybe I'll give it more time. I haven't played it since I got R06!!

One of the things that annoys me most in RC is that if you've got a weak team you end up going from side to side before eventually scoring and in the xbox version doing miss-passes just doesn't seem to work. Anyone else found that?

miss passes do work but i have trouble double clicking the xbox controller buttons for it.

i'm using the standard controller on my pc and i can cut out left quite well now but not right.

the wirless controller i have is much easy to cut out, so i think it's a calibration problem.

as for heaving it from wing to wing....well that no longer really works outside of fun mode very well. i play a more forward and centre contolled moves and then try to make gaps to exploit with faster players.

i also kick from inside the 22 a lot to gain meters.

the AI obviously cheats like f*** at line outs, i lost naerly every lineout against samoa and then when I pressed the button for front jumper and accidentally threw it to the back both front jumpers went up missing the ball :cheers:

You know, Thomashenry might well be right - RC2006 is more responsive by far. If only the rucks were a little quicker, with better offloads.

Originally posted by thomashenry+Feb 12 2006, 11:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia
@Feb 12 2006, 10:31 PM

i used to play WCR on sideview but now use spinning far end and sometimes near end on rc2006.  for me it's the most realistic union game at the moment because the players keep their positions and don't all face the ball.
Yeah - lots of people seem to have this idea that R06 is a 'sim', while RC2006 is arcadey and lacks depth. There is a huge amount of depth to RC2006, and it is far more like a game of real rugby than R06 is - so im my book RC2006 is more of a sim than R06. [/b]
Doesn't R06 have set plays, more in deapth set peices (seriously, scrums and line outs in RC are VERY basic considering how big a part of the game they are in real life) more moves from the ruck base and a better kicking system (according to locks) than RC though? I've got RC mate, and I hate to tell you, but it's no sim... In fact it's about as far from being a sim as you could get!

I haven't been on RC2006 since I got 06 (in fact, it's on Ebay right now!) - there is simply no comparision for me.

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 13 2006, 08:12 AM-->
Originally posted by thomashenry@Feb 12 2006, 11:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia

i used to play WCR on sideview but now use spinning far end and sometimes near end on rc2006.  for me it's the most realistic union game at the moment because the players keep their positions and don't all face the ball.

Yeah - lots of people seem to have this idea that R06 is a 'sim', while RC2006 is arcadey and lacks depth. There is a huge amount of depth to RC2006, and it is far more like a game of real rugby than R06 is - so im my book RC2006 is more of a sim than R06.
Doesn't R06 have set plays, more in deapth set peices (seriously, scrums and line outs in RC are VERY basic considering how big a part of the game they are in real life) more moves from the ruck base and a better kicking system (according to locks) than RC though? I've got RC mate, and I hate to tell you, but it's no sim... In fact it's about as far from being a sim as you could get! [/b]
RC2006 plays more like real Rugby than R06 does, and therefore simulates Rugby better.

Originally posted by thomashenry+Feb 13 2006, 09:44 AM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 13 2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by thomashenry@Feb 12 2006, 11:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia

Doesn't R06 have set plays, more in deapth set peices (seriously, scrums and line outs in RC are VERY basic considering how big a part of the game they are in real life) more moves from the ruck base and a better kicking system (according to locks) than RC though? I've got RC mate, and I hate to tell you, but it's no sim... In fact it's about as far from being a sim as you could get!
RC2006 plays more like real Rugby than R06 does, and therefore simulates Rugby better. [/b]
In your opinion... almost everyone else seems to think otherwise.

Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 13 2006, 11:29 AM

What about your opinion though, have you played both for a good amount of time?

I have, and that qualifies me to have an opnion.

indeed he should have. you are entitled to your opinion thomashenry and so are many others that have played both games. most if not all think that rugby 06 is a better simulation of rugby. and most that are saying this are respected members of the forum. ultimately you have to make your own mind up but just going out slagging rugby 06 is not the way to do it.

Originally posted by thomashenry+Feb 13 2006, 10:45 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Feb 13 2006, 11:29 AM

What about your opinion though, have you played both for a good amount of time?

I have, and that qualifies me to have an opnion. [/b]
No I haven't. But I have played RC 06, and I can honestly say that I think it isn't as fun as EA Rugby 05.

Latest posts