• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Improving my fitness

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
So im trying to get fit again. Im running shuttles try line to try line(100m) and getting 24 shuttles in 11min 11 second so thats 2.4km. (1.5miles)

This short run is taking everything out of me so if i try to do more running after a rest my legs are just heavy and i dont do well.

Should i shart with 50m shuttles to get me accelerating or stopping more to get my legs used to it the load or just do laps of the field for constant running without the start stop.

Any help with this sort of training would ve helpful and i train on my own and havnt get anyone to train with

So I'm unsure on shuttle training but I know a small amount running. Essentially you are trying running 7:30min/mile that for most people is some serious effort regardless of the distance (my 5k PB (3.1 miles) is at 7:08 min/miles).

Things I can recommend,
Longer, slower easy runs if your just blasting 1.5 miles you'll never train your body to beyond that or get quicker, aim for about 45mins. Should do one of these a week.

Shorter Threshold run this should be below your shuttle pace (an 8/10 effort) but above your longer pace 20-30 mins.
Intervals, your probably just looking at 400 meters at shuttle pace with 90 second to 2 minute rest between reps (depending on fitness these can be jogging or standing), 800meter/1k intervals are also an option but your looking at mid-distance running.
Hills, Find something like a 400meter to 600 meter loop up and down a hill. Push up, on top and down the hill and take steady pace/jog/walk at the bottom, 20 mins.
Get one of these in per week. and do a 1KM easy pace warm up and cool down.

You probably don't need to do all that as the rugby training in general will help but its how I go about improving aerobic fitness and speed.

I should have added im not good at distance running i get bored and stop very easily( and enjoy a nice walkg) where as a shuttle i have a set 12 shuttles there and back had im done. Also been doing the old try line back, 5m line back, 22 line back ect.

Ive always stuggled with the motivation to do longer training hense the short 10 - 15 min exercises rest and do something else. My aim has been to up the about of shuttles by 1 to 13 there and back but keep under 12min and push on.

I might try do add longer slower laps of the pitch.

For now im looking to train at the rugby pitch.

How long have you been training for?
With training though especially if you're lacking condition you legs will always going to get heavy, the idea of conditioning is that your body should get used to it.

I've always been more of a fan of HIIT for getting into rugby shape especially on my own.
For me I used to do it on the pitch for about 1 min on 1 min rest which would be walking and stretching when I was coming back into stuff.
So 1 min of shuttles regardless of where I finished and as soon as the timer stopped I would do 1 min of rest.

Repeat for about 10 times.

If you're looking to start middle/long distance running I'd definitely listen to ncurd over me but if not here's what I was doing up until the start of my rugby pre season which probably got me both as aerobically and anaerobically fit as I've ever been. (It's exclusively anaerobic fitness but I had to do a charity 5k in work and ran it in 24mins which I think is fairly good for my first and only 5k)

It's a similar idea to what you're doing but varying the distances you run. What I worked up to was max effort shuttle runs starting at 50m and working my way up to 250m in 50m increments and back down again with 40 second rests in between each run so it looked like this.

50m - rest - 100m - rest - 150m - r - 200m - r - 250m - r - 200m... 50m.
I then took a 1 min 30 rest and repeated it and finished with 100m runs every minute on the minute to bring it up to 3k in around 25 minutes if I remember correctly.

That was my end point, my starting point was definitely with 1min rests and minus the EMOM running at the end.

I definitely got quicker and fitter doing this, fairly hard going but it feels good to finish!

This is what we got sent to do over the lockdown period. It's not too intense as we were focusing more on gaining weight/strength over that period and are focusing more on fitness in the preseason which we started 2 weeks ago. Should still build a good running/fitness base. If you're finding it too easy/hard than adjust rest times. Try not to fiddle at all with the working times.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 3F985A0A-8488-4B1D-95F7-5C16F5316C9A.jpeg
    3F985A0A-8488-4B1D-95F7-5C16F5316C9A.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 8
If you're looking to start middle/long distance running I'd definitely listen to ncurd over me but if not here's what I was doing up
Definitely I'm nowhere near having any knowledge of rugby fitness, I know how to build up running fitness and speed for middle/long distances. Some of that can be reapplied to other sports.

Incidentally 24mins is pretty good regardless of where you are is going well at a typical parkrun with 500 runners you'd be looking at the top 100. Of course as first 5k your doing from a far higher fitness base than most people do ;)

So im trying to get fit again. Im running shuttles try line to try line(100m) and getting 24 shuttles in 11min 11 second so thats 2.4km. (1.5miles)

This short run is taking everything out of me so if i try to do more running after a rest my legs are just heavy and i dont do well.

Should i shart with 50m shuttles to get me accelerating or stopping more to get my legs used to it the load or just do laps of the field for constant running without the start stop.

Any help with this sort of training would ve helpful and i train on my own and havnt get anyone to train with

If you are doing the training on the road, then try this, using the street's lampposts as a guide:
1. sprint the length from one lamppost, to the next
2. jog the next length
3. walk the next length
repeat a couple of times

then increase the distance of each set.

If the lampposts are the same distance as the ones here in SA, then it's a 20m sprint, jog, walk. Then 40m, then 60m, then 80m, then 100m.

I've used this method since the school days, and it's still one of the best methods to increase fitness, no matter which position on the pitch you play.

Definitely I'm nowhere near having any knowledge of rugby fitness, I know how to build up running fitness and speed for middle/long distances. Some of that can be reapplied to other sports.

Incidentally 24mins is pretty good regardless of where you are is going well at a typical parkrun with 500 runners you'd be looking at the top 100. Of course as first 5k your doing from a far higher fitness base than most people do ;)
Oh I know, I looked up how impressive I was at the time! :p

Never miss a chance for a sneaky gloat!

Incidentally I can't do road running at all consistently, between a bad Achilles, heel spurs, and a dodgy hip flexor and groin all on my right side it's asking for more injuries!

Thanks for the suggestions and i am going to stick to a rugby field rather than the road but i will seitch it up with more HIIT training.

Im not looking to be a distance runner but more able to do alot of short bursts of pace and be able to run for 10 to 20 min at a good pace rather than long 40min + distance runs.
How long have you been training for?
With training though especially if you're lacking condition you legs will always going to get heavy, the idea of conditioning is that your body should get used to it.

I've always been more of a fan of HIIT for getting into rugby shape especially on my own.
For me I used to do it on the pitch for about 1 min on 1 min rest which would be walking and stretching when I was coming back into stuff.
So 1 min of shuttles regardless of where I finished and as soon as the timer stopped I would do 1 min of rest.

Repeat for about 10 times.

Only been training about 2 weeks and been 6 times, aiming for 3 times this week.

If i do 1min of 22 line and back at a quick pace 1 min off to start with i think that could be good to condition my legs to the accellorating and change of direction.

Then do the 100m shuttles at the end to fail or at a slow place.

Its do need to add more body weight things in there like burpees and squat jumps to condition my legs too.

But thanks alot for the help.

Also might have to do a 5k run to see what my time is. But i think i will drop of or have to run a much slower pace than my 2.4km

I'm reading with interest and every post is making me feel like 'I'm too old for this ...'

Here is a test used in New Zealand for fitness testing 1200 meter "Bronco" test. It obviously is a mixture of distance and short sprints, but continuous. Beauden Barrett posted a 4 min. 12 second time whlle Richie McCaw, when he was playing, posted a 4 min 55 seconds.

I would have posted "shoot me" after about 1/2 way through.

TD

Tried to enter a link for the fitness test. Here is another try go to topendsports and look up the 1200 meter shuttle test on their site.

I'm reading with interest and every post is making me feel like 'I'm too old for this ...'
I do physical exercise every day for at least 40 min (just a habit), but when I read some posts on this forum.. people here are crazy fans of sport o_O I'm jealous, I must admit,too lazy to train that hard

Here is a test used in New Zealand for fitness testing 1200 meter "Bronco" test. It obviously is a mixture of distance and short sprints, but continuous. Beauden Barrett posted a 4 min. 12 second time whlle Richie McCaw, when he was playing, posted a 4 min 55 seconds.

I would have posted "shoot me" after about 1/2 way through.

TD

To be fair, I did a Bronco recently and didn't find it as bad as I thought I might. My time was nothing like Beauden Barrett's, but not that bad either for an old boy - 5.52. I was pacing myself at the beginning out of fear that I would run out of steam. I think in future, I could easily shave 10+ seconds off.

I'm still undecided on playing next season but just keeping myself ticking over with a short daily run. I'm definitely a LOT weaker now though - I haven't lifted heavy in almost 6mths now!

I ran five miles today and the only time I stopped was for 15 seconds when the traffic light changed, and another 15 seconds when I came back around. Not bad for a 60 year old.

Latest posts