• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In Argentina: The working class hates Rugby

I didn't say you'd become the best in the world, I just that they'd get out there and play, regardless of size and body type.

I think his point was more that there's zero chance of them waking up tomorrow and wanting to play rugby.

Conrad/Dan - Does the UAR make any attempts to promote the game amongst the working classes?

Guys I appreciate the passion but can we try to keep the thread mainly in English, as that is the de facto language of the forum, I'm willing to let Spanish(or other language) posts in from time to time but there are now large parts of the thread that 98% of the membership would have to translate in order to keep up with the conversation.

Cheers Guys.

It's funny, Spanish-speakers have consistently just allowed themselves to comment in their own language out of my personal experience online, altogether.

Wow... I was just giving an example, right? Of course we´re not discussing how good Argentina is playing Rugby. By the way, here in Brazil everyone who is involved with Rugby support Los Pumas! Every good game you make against a strong side is important for the whole South American Rugby comunity, which is getting bigger and better.

Well, my point is not this. I just can´t agree with your arguments about the "poor people" in Argentina, about why they hate Rugby....

It´s pretty similar to the speech that use to I hear from some rugbiers here n Brazil, but I thought that you in Argentina, once you´re at least 100 years ahead of us in Rugby, had passed through this questions a long time ago... As our friend from Georgia said, it just stops the growth of Rugby.. There´s no reason to war against footbal and its fans. They"re different sports, they can live happy together.

You don't understand my message, again the same discussion:

1- The discussion between the Georgian and me is a discussion between a basketball supporter (Georgian) and a rugby supporter (Me). He has never played rugby, then there are many things he will never understand, because one thing is talk about rugby and quite another thing to live and feel the hits inside of a rugby field, OK?

2- Genetic between Brazil and Argentina is also very different. Here we don't have black people, all our blacks have died in past wars long ago. The few black slaves who had been in Argentina are all dead. You have a lot of black people, especially in the "Favelas" (Brazil's ghettos) then isn't the same poor people between both countries, Argentina's working class and Brazil's working class are different, OK?

3- I know that all supporters of rugby in South America support the Pumas, I met some players Chileans, Uruguayans and Paraguayans and they are all Pumas fans because we are the only team from South America involved in all WCs. Uruguay has participated 2 times (1999 and 2003) and I desire with passion that they may qualify for the next WC. I'm a Teros supporter, I celebrated the wonderful equalizer against USA they managed last week.

4- Are you a true rugby supporter? Have you ever played rugby? Or you're just a soccer supporter a bit interested in rugby? Because so far, you've only talked about The Pumas and Argentina's Rugby. When I was new here, many users made me feel the hardness. I had to prove that I'm a true rugby supporter. If you read this whole thread, you'll notice that some users here say things like: "Finally Conrad made ​​an interesting thread". I wonder what you know about rugby, or else you're like basketball supporter who has never played the game and likes to talk about what he doesn't know. "The youngs Georgian backs are very good," he's very funny.

Guys I appreciate the passion but can we try to keep the thread mainly in English, as that is the de facto language of the forum, I'm willing to let Spanish(or other language) posts in from time to time but there are now large parts of the thread that 98% of the membership would have to translate in order to keep up with the conversation.

Cheers Guys.

Sorry, bud. Do you want me to translate all the posts I wrote in Spanish?

Last edited:
A Brazilian supporting Argentina in Rugby?. Seriously?. In football they want to kill each other (oh how I'd love an Argentina-Brazil final at the World Cup).

Argies and Uruguayans dont like each other either..intense rivalry. Surely it's the same in Rugby?

Never knew anyone in Uruguay played Rugby until that film Alive came out about the plane crash of the rugby team in the Andes

It's funny, Spanish-speakers have consistently just allowed themselves to comment in their own language out of my personal experience online, altogether.

Thanks God Portuguese speakers doesn´t do the same :p

"Does the UAR make any attempts to promote the game amongst the working classes? "
Well... probably Conrad think that if it happens, it´s worthless.

Talking about what we have here in Brazil, as everyone knows, we haven´t ANY tradition in this sport but it´s growing really fast in the last years and one of the focus of our Confederation is to promote the game with the working classes. Of course there´ll be a lot to do in therms of fitness development if you think in high level world class competition, but to close the eyes for this amount of people who loves sports (here, of course football above the others all together) is a mistake. Of course there´ll be some talents identified with rugby and its values!
I dare someone to tell to a kid who is interested in learn about rugby "oh, come on, you cannot play cause you´re too tiny, you´ll get hurt if you play agaisnt na All Black professional player... sorry".

"Does the UAR make any attempts to promote the game amongst the working classes? "
Well... probably Conrad think that if it happens, it´s worthless.

Talking about what we have here in Brazil, as everyone knows, we haven´t ANY tradition in this sport but it´s growing really fast in the last years and one of the focus of our Confederation is to promote the game with the working classes. Of course there´ll be a lot to do in therms of fitness development if you think in high level world class competition, but to close the eyes for this amount of people who loves sports (here, of course football above the others all together) is a mistake. Of course there´ll be some talents identified with rugby and its values!
I dare someone to tell to a kid who is interested in learn about rugby "oh, come on, you cannot play cause you´re too tiny, you´ll get hurt if you play agaisnt na All Black professional player... sorry".

As everyone else has said, that would be the wrong decision - the game needs its grass roots players and talentless supporters just as much as it needs superstars. Rugby isn't always inclusive, there are areas of elitism in some people's views, but that's not the majority culture.

If the nutritional gap is really so pronounced, then take a leaf out of NZ's book and have kids play by weight category instead of age. Where there's a will there's a way. And yes, they mightn't provide many elite rugby players - but there's still space for guys like Christian Wade, Shane Williams, Gio Aplon, small guys with big hearts and tons of speed and agility. As athletes, they aren't too different to the likes of Robinho - or Aguero.

Not that you didn't know this - just saying I agree - and maybe Conrad needs to hear it ^_^.

Conrad/Dan - Does the UAR make any attempts to promote the game amongst the working classes?

Of course! All doors from ALL rugby clubs are open to the working class, here there is no Apartheid or something like that. The UAR has made many campaigns to popularize the sport in the working class. They 've been to many ghettos, they give rugby balls in the ghettos. I also know many rugby clubs having kids from the ghettos in their clubs and teach rugby for them.

But there are 2 important things here:

1- The UAR hasn't enough money to put a personal rugby coach for each Ghetto kid. The UAR does what they can with the money they have. The UAR isn't a bank with unlimited money.

2- In relation to football supporters from the working class. It's much easier to criticize the Pumas, is very easy to talk about rugby. It's very easy to hate rugby players. What is really difficult is to join a field and play rugby, put on shorts, suffering the blows of our sport and hold out ALL rugby injuries. Ask to Tom Croft or David Pocock, they know about rugby injuries. Here, football supporters like to talk but don't like playing rugby. They are afraid they join a rugby field, I saw many football players behave as cowards inside a rugby field. They say: "Rugby isn't competitive ," is very easy talk. Take the hits on a rugby field is much more difficult.

I personally would like all those football supporters, who during the Rugby World Cups, talking about rugby like experts. I would like them to stop talking about rugby and playing rugby. It's very easy to say:

"That Pumas player from the Upper Middle Class can't stop to Israel Folau",
"That Pumas player from the Upper Middle Class can't stop to Julian Savea",
"That Pumas player from the Upper Middle Class can't stop to Bryan Habana".

I would like to see them all Argentina's football supporters inside a rugby field, training hard, receiving the hits, being victims of rugby injuries. And once they have experienced the pain and suffering of a rugby player on the field. So I like to hear them say: "Rugby isn't competitive", "Anyone can excel in rugby, it's just a sport for stupid hooligans". Watch a rugby game on TV and play rugby on the field, ISN'T THE SAME. It's very easy to talk about rugby. Those who have played rugby, thank God on this forum are many, they know what I'm talking about.

And when they have the experience of playing rugby, then, only then they will understand what Argentina made in the Rugby's World. Only there, they will understand the true value of that glorious victory against Ireland in WC 1999, only then they will understand the magnificent victory against England in Twickenham in 2006, only there, they will understand the value of third place in the WC 2007. Only there, they will understand the true value of which Argentina has been invited to play the Tri Nations Tournament against the 3 most powerful teams in this sport. Only then, they will understand the value that SANZAR are thinking (and is almost certain) that Argentina should have a Super Rugby franchise, because Argentina is making merits to have your own franchise in the Best Tournament in the world. (IMO)

And then, they'll stop criticizing the team and they will be fans of their national rugby team, they will be proud of their national rugby team. But for that to happen, they have to overcome the fear, they have to stop being like cowards inside a rugby field. And that day has not yet arrived.

Cheers

Last edited:
A Brazilian supporting Argentina in Rugby?. Seriously?. In football they want to kill each other (oh how I'd love an Argentina-Brazil final at the World Cup).

Argies and Uruguayans dont like each other either..intense rivalry. Surely it's the same in Rugby?

Never knew anyone in Uruguay played Rugby until that film Alive came out about the plane crash of the rugby team in the Andes

Most South American's cheer for Argentina in rugby(though not in head to head match ups), this is really well known.

Uruguay dosen't have a massive rivalry with Argentina due to the disparity in team strengths, Uruguay have only been competetive with the Pumas in a handful of matches.

Montevideo C.C. was the first Rugby Union side founded outside of Europe in 1861.

Sorry, bud. Do you want me to translate all the posts I wrote in Spanish?

Only if you want to Conrad.

Last edited:
You don't understand my message, again the same discussion:

1- The discussion between the Georgian and me is a discussion between a basketball supporter (Georgian) and a rugby supporter (Me). He has never played rugby, then there are many things he will never understand, because one thing is talk about rugby and quite another thing to live and feel the hits inside of a rugby field, OK?

2- Genetic between Brazil and Argentina is also very different. Here we don't have black people, all our blacks have died in past wars long ago. The few black slaves who had been in Argentina are all dead. You have a lot of black people, especially in the "Favelas" (Brazil's ghettos) then isn't the same poor people between both countries, Argentina's working class and Brazil's working class are different, OK?

3- I know that all supporters of rugby in South America support the Pumas, I met some players Chileans, Uruguayans and Paraguayans and they are all Pumas fans because we are the only team from South America involved in all WCs. Uruguay has participated 2 times (1999 and 2003) and I desire with passion that they may qualify for the next WC. I'm a Teros supporter, I celebrated the wonderful equalizer against USA they managed last week.

4- Are you a true rugby supporter? Have you ever played rugby? Or you're just a soccer supporter a bit interested in rugby? Because so far, you've only talked about The Pumas and Argentina's Rugby. When I was new here, many users made me feel the hardness. I had to prove that I'm a true rugby supporter. If you read this whole thread, you'll notice that some users here say things like: "Finally Conrad made ​​an interesting thread". I wonder what you know about rugby, or else you're like basketball supporter who has never played the game and likes to talk about what he doesn't know. "The youngs Georgian backs are very good," he's very funny.

Conrad,

1- Well, the Georgian sounds coeherent for me. In any case, I don´t think someone need to play an sport to talk about it. Otherwise how many of us would support/talk about F-1 ?
2- You´re right. We have black people and we´re are a much more “mixed†community as well. But I doubt that is impossible to find a talent to play rugby in the Argentinian “ghettosâ€. I think it would only make the Pumas stronger.
3- Yeah! It was fantastic! Would be wonderful if los Teros qualified! It will be really tough for them to win USA in Atlanta, but who knows?
4- I´m afraid I don’t get your point here, but ok, let me introduce myself…
I watch and follow rugby since WC 2007. Since 2012 I play in amateur level.
Nowadays I play the “Série C Paulistaâ€, which is the 3rd division local championship. I play for Portuguesa Rugby, which is the rugby team of the traditional football team “Portuguesa†(I think Portuguesa never was in a big contest in Libertadores, so I don´t know if you know them… they´re like, I don´t know, a Chacaritas Jr. or something from Argentina).
So, I train 4 days a week on the pitch and I´m always trying to learn more and more about rugby. Of course I´m a beginner comparing with you or people who has born in countries such as NZ, AU, UK, IR or others, and that´s why I joined the forum, I need to learn a lot yet. BUT, I still not getting your point with your question, have I talked some bull**** so far?

SimonG

Yes, Simon! That is what happens…
Of course there´s some rugby guys from here who still with the rivalry and will never support Argentina in any case, but the truth is: Rugby is a territory where we´re not rivals. We actually use to play against a Team C of them and still we lose by 80 points!
In history we have won only one game against them in a minor 7´s championship by 7 x 0… So, people here actually admires the Pumas. And we think that if they become stronger in the world of Rugby, it´ll be good for the neighbors…
Well, I don´t know, if in 20 or 30 years we had a team to face them, of course it´ll be a whole new scenario and, then, it´ll be time for the old rivalry!

I read your post, which is why I noticed that you have never played rugby, you're not a rugby player. So this is a discussion between a basketball player/supporter (you) and a rugby player/supporter (Me). You say that right now Georgia has good young backs, OK, is your thought. Until I see those guys against the best backs internationally like Israel Folau or Mike Brown, I'm not sure if they are as good as you say they are, you understand?

I want to see the Georgian kids against the Argentinian kids, they are very very good, really. In this thread you can meet some:

http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...ntina-A)-won-the-Pacific-Cup-2014-(Undefeated)

I think Italy has been good in the 6N, they have beaten Scotland, Wales and France not long ago. So they definitely are better than Georgia. You just want the IRB gives a lot of money to Georgia, so it would be very easy. You have to get to Tier 1, as Argentina did, without support and then there you can add conditions.

You can't compare rugby with other sports like football or basketball because we have already explained 200 times in this thread the reasons why sports like football are much cheaper than rugby. Football is just easier in poor developing countries, which is why countries like Brazil and Argentina, despite being in developing countries, are powers in those sports. While Brazil and Argentina could NEVER be powers in the Olympic Swimming or Ice Hockey, because they are sports much more expensive than football and need a very huge infrastructure and a lot money, ok?

I repeat, and this isn't racist. Not all countries have the same genetic, the blacks are faster than whites. The Pacific Islanders are bigger and stronger than the Japanese. That is the reality, the average European is larger than the average Latino. So maybe in your country, the boys from the working class can be competitive in rugby. In Argentina it isn't because our boys from the working class are too weak and lack resources, ok?

Cheers

Conrad,

In Georgia, I have spoken about this issues supposedly with better rugby players than you are (I believe you are not top 14 or prod 2 level player).
We always agreed that rugby is much cheaper sport than football (thats why we also agreed that Georgian Goverment shall grant priority funding to rugby and do not waste money on football). Do you want to persuade me that Boca Khuniors or River Plate have less budget than any rugby club in Argentina (I am not talking about European football clubs).
Quick example: Georgian football Championship ranks 33th in Europe. Georgian rugby Championship may be considered as 10th or 11th in Europe.
Georgian football championship has 5 times more funding from government than rugby, plus bigger private support.
I know rugby players in Georgian championship who also work as a taxi drivers to maintain their family. David Zirakishvili, one of the best props of top 14 for a decade also had a parallel job to maintain his family.

Just want to share this example of how genetics aren't a factor, but training is. This is a picture someone just sent me of actor Tom Hardy (Bane from Batman) before getting in shape, and after...

So, if a dorky li'l squirt like Hardy could get all huge and buff, I'm sure anyone can. Sorry for taking the discussion back to body type, but this discussion is the first thing I thought of when I saw this picture.

das

Conrad,

In Georgia, I have spoken about this issues supposedly with better rugby players than you are (I believe you are not top 14 or prod 2 level player).
We always agreed that rugby is much cheaper sport than football (thats why we also agreed that Georgian Goverment shall grant priority funding to rugby and do not waste money on football). Do you want to persuade me that Boca Khuniors or River Plate have less budget than any rugby club in Argentina (I am not talking about European football clubs).
Quick example: Georgian football Championship ranks 33th in Europe. Georgian rugby Championship may be considered as 10th or 11th in Europe.
Georgian football championship has 5 times more funding from government than rugby, plus bigger private support.
I know rugby players in Georgian championship who also work as a taxi drivers to maintain their family. David Zirakishvili, one of the best props of top 14 for a decade also had a parallel job to maintain his family.

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

Can you show on what message I wrote: "I'm the best rugby player around the world, I'm better than Ben Smith, Willie Le Roux and Quade Cooper together"

Nonsense, nonsense and more nonsense

1- I never said: "I'm the best player" I haven't even told that I'm a professional, I'm just an amateur rugby player. I have to clarify because your brain isn't working well

2- What kind of argument is: "My friends are better rugby players than you, they know more about rugby than you and my friends think I have reason". Jesus Christ!!! Then I can say: "Julian Savea is my friend, and he says that I have the right." Bring your friends and give their opininon here. That isn't an argument

3- Money and infrastructure is very important in Rugby but isn't everything, there are other details that I repeated 245 times in this thread but you can't understand: "RUGBY IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN FOOTBALL". For example do you know David Pocock injuries?? He has played 5 games in the last 3 years, he still couldn't play in the Rugby Championships (that began in 2012) because has had many injuries and few weeks ago Brumbies lost him for ALL the season. Another similar case, ask an English rugby supporter how many injuries had Tom Croft in the last years.

The number of injuries in rugby is greater than football, besides rugby injuries are more serious. That means 2 things: Rugby clubs have to spend more money on injuries (Physiotherapist, massages, surgeries, and so on) and it's a much riskier than football sport therefore rugby NEVER have more players than football because rugby is considered a high-risk sport.

Another example??? Last year All Blacks had to use Tom Taylor because ALL their fly-halves were injured. Their first choices were injuries: Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden and Beauden Barrett, then they were forced to use an inexperienced player as Tom Taylor, for the kiwis he's the fourth or fifth option. Another example? With the same team, Stephen Donald was the NZ kicker in the RWC final against France because ALL kiwis fly-halves were injured.

That is something that would never happen in football, and believe me, I played football and I know about football injuries.

Then, repeat after me:

"RUGBY IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN FOOTBALL"

Now, repeat after me:

"RUGBY CAUSES MORE INJURIES THAN FOOTBALL"

And last, repeat after me:

"RUGBY INJURIES ARE MORE SERIOUS THAN FOOTBALL INJURIES"

I hope I have been clear. To be honest, I prefer to talk about rugby with an Aussie, with a Kiwi, with a English, with a Irish, with a Welsh, with an Afrikaner, with a French. They know a lot about rugby, then I don't have to waste time explaining basic things of our sport.

Last edited:
By that logic Conrad - rugby would be unpopular amongst all people from all socio-economic groups. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji aren't famous for their health care yet have many great rugby players. In New Zealand rugby would be 100x more popular amongst the lower socio-economic groups than soccer for instance - which is more popular amongst the middle class. I agree that rugby physicality stops many players from playing - but I'd be suprised if that stopped the working class from playing...

By that logic Conrad - rugby would be unpopular amongst all people from all socio-economic groups. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji aren't famous for their health care yet have many great rugby players. In New Zealand rugby would be 100x more popular amongst the lower socio-economic groups than soccer for instance - which is more popular amongst the middle class. I agree that rugby physicality stops many players from playing - but I'd be suprised if that stopped the working class from playing...

If you read all my posts in this thread, you know that I always said that Pacific Islanders have a wonderful genetics for this sport, and that means that despite their difficulties they can make great players. But as the structure and money are very important, they can't achieve big wins with their national teams.

For that reason players such as Jonah Lomu (Tongan) or Digby Ioane (Samoan), were world famous. Because they had the opportunity to play in national teams with infrastructure and money. If Jonah Lomu had played for Tonga's national team, he would never have achieved the success he achieved with ABs. The same is true for Digby Ioane and the Samoa's national team, and for ALL Pacific Islanders who play for ABs and Wallabies (Even to Toby Faletau who plays for Wales)

Another example: American Samoa only has 55,000 citizens but they make more NFL players than some USA states like Florida (19,317,568 citizens). The reason? They have better genetics.

Cheers

Last edited:
STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

Can you show on what message I wrote: "I'm the best rugby player around the world, I'm better than Ben Smith, Willie Le Roux and Quade Cooper together"

Nonsense, nonsense and more nonsense

1- I never said: "I'm the best player" I haven't even told that I'm a professional, I'm just an amateur rugby player. I have to clarify because your brain isn't working well

2- What kind of argument is: "My friends are better rugby players than you, they know more about rugby than you and my friends think I have reason". Jesus Christ!!! Then I can say: "Julian Savea is my friend, and he says that I have the right." Bring your friends and give their opininon here. That isn't an argument

3- Money and infrastructure is very important in Rugby but isn't everything, there are other details that I repeated 245 times in this thread but you can't understand: "RUGBY IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN FOOTBALL". For example do you know David Pocock injuries?? He has played 5 games in the last 3 years, he still couldn't play in the Rugby Championships (that began in 2012) because has had many injuries and few weeks ago Brumbies lost him for ALL the season. Another similar case, ask an English rugby supporter how many injuries had Tom Croft in the last years.

The number of injuries in rugby is greater than football, besides rugby injuries are more serious. That means 2 things: Rugby clubs have to spend more money on injuries (Physiotherapist, massages, surgeries, and so on) and it's a much riskier than football sport therefore rugby NEVER have more players than football because rugby is considered a high-risk sport.

Another example??? Last year All Blacks had to use Tom Taylor because ALL their fly-halves were injured. Their first choices were injuries: Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden and Beauden Barrett, then they were forced to use an inexperienced player as Tom Taylor, for the kiwis he's the fourth or fifth option. Another example? With the same team, Stephen Donald was the NZ kicker in the RWC final against France because ALL kiwis fly-halves were injured.

That is something that would never happen in football, and believe me, I played football and I know about football injuries.

Then, repeat after me:

Now, repeat after me:

And last, repeat after me:

I hope I have been clear. To be honest, I prefer to talk about rugby with an Aussie, with a Kiwi, with a English, with a Irish, with a Welsh, with an Afrikaner, with a French. They know a lot about rugby, then I don't have to waste time explaining basic things of our sport.

I do not know what to respond on this ****ty post.
Its a pitty that its virtual forum. Otherwise I would teach you the good manners.. stupid idiot.

Not even close to Slavik:)

well you could actually give me details ! I read here "Kartvelians", a nomadic ethnicity from the Caucasus area. Now that I think about it, it's true, you guys don't look Slavic at all, I just assumed without any thought you were...at least partially. I see a few sources mentioning the Armenians along with the Georgians, anything you can tell me on that ?

well you could actually give me details ! I read here "Kartvelians", a nomadic ethnicity from the Caucasus area. Now that I think about it, it's true, you guys don't look Slavic at all, I just assumed without any thought you were...at least partially. I see a few sources mentioning the Armenians along with the Georgians, anything you can tell me on that ?

Yes, indeed Georgians are indigenous population of Caucasus region (South Caucasus).
Georgian language is a part of Caucasian Language group. We also have own alphabet. Georgians are orthodox Christians (since 337 a.d.).
Here you can find comprehensive info about Georgia and Georgians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Georgia_(country)

Yes, indeed Georgians are indigenous population of Caucasus region (South Caucasus).
Georgian language is a part of Caucasian Language group. We also have own alphabet. Georgians are orthodox Christians (since 337 a.d.).
Here you can find comprehensive info about Georgia and Georgians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Georgia_(country)

Right. I'm sure the Orthodoxy creates ties with Russia then. You have a very interesting country and culture Dato...I really should know more.
Oh and to make this comment just a little rugby related, Gorgodze rules all.

Right. I'm sure the Orthodoxy creates ties with Russia then. You have a very interesting country and culture Dato...I really should know more.
Oh and to make this comment just a little rugby related, Gorgodze rules all.
Thank you!
We were part of Russian empire for 2 centuries. even now we have big problems with them (just had war few years ago). But relations between ordinary people is more or less ok due to historic ties.

Latest posts