• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interesting Figures

Well I think that the numbers might be right but are not recent. It is surprising for example that as far as France is concerned that the biggest team Toulouse ranks third. From play offs the stadiums are full and in Toulouse this means 35 000.

That the Stade Français, the Paris team is not mentioned. Their usual stadium (14000) is always full, and from the play off they play in the Stade des Princes (45000) not mentioning the final match of the French Top16 (national championship) is attended by more than 80 000 persons in the Stade de France.

Anyway, I know and recognize that Rugby League is very popular in England and Australia and that in these two countries it is quite well marketed.

In France it has some fame in some regions (in the South very close to the Spanish border) but it has radically declined. In the 50's League was as strong as Union.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Aug 10 2004, 03:05 PM
Well I think that the numbers might be right but are not recent. It is surprising for example that as far as France is concerned that the biggest team Toulouse ranks third. From play offs the stadiums are full and in Toulouse this means 35 000.

That the Stade Français, the Paris team is not mentioned. Their usual stadium (14000) is always full, and from the play off they play in the Stade des Princes (45000) not mentioning the final match of the French Top16 (national championship) is attended by more than 80 000 persons in the Stade de France.

Anyway, I know and recognize that Rugby League is very popular in England and Australia and that in these two countries it is quite well marketed.

In France it has some fame in some regions (in the South very close to the Spanish border) but it has radically declined. In the 50's League was as strong as Union.
I have just been to French Rugby League Country.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Aug 10 2004, 03:05 PM
In the 30's it looked as though it was going to become much stronger than Union.

Yes but RL was forbidden by the Vichy regime. Anyway, after WWII most of the RL club that had been oblidged to switch top RU returned to RL.

Then RL was very popular and the national side was quite good, in the 50's they defeated GB and Aus a couple of times at home and away.

I don't know why, but in the 60's all that fell apart, apparently the FRL had not organised well enough the clubs, academies, etc.

The worst was in the 80's, the final of the French championship, broadcasted on the French Tv, was stopped after 6 minutes. All the players were figthing. If the referee had not stopped the game there would heve been several dead players.

From that RL, was almost forbideen on TV, no more sponsoring, etc. The FRL may have nowadays 40000 liceencees, almost 1/8 of the FRU.

I know that the Perpignan's club will play the SL in a couple of years this may be the opportunity to give this game the visibility it lacks.

BTW I guess that the Carcassone logo and the French RL coq (your avatar) comes from your recent sejour in the south.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Aug 20 2004, 03:37 PM
Yes but RL was forbidden by the Vichy regime. Anyway, after WWII most of the RL club that had been oblidged to switch top RU returned to RL.

Then RL was very popular and the national side was quite good, in the 50's they defeated GB and Aus a couple of times at home and away.

I don't know why, but in the 60's all that fell apart, apparently the FRL had not organised well enough the clubs, academies, etc.

The worst was in the 80's, the final of the French championship, broadcasted on the French Tv, was stopped after 6 minutes. All the players were figthing. If the referee had not stopped the game there would heve been several dead players.

From that RL, was almost forbideen on TV, no more sponsoring, etc. The FRL may have nowadays 40000 liceencees, almost 1/8 of the FRU.

I know that the Perpignan's club will play the SL in a couple of years this may be the opportunity to give this game the visibility it lacks.

BTW I guess that the Carcassone logo and the French RL coq (your avatar) comes from your recent sejour in the south.
The French organised the first Rugby League World Cup in 1954 and have been finalists twice.

You are right about my sig and avatar. In my vain attempt to find a French national side shirt (I found Australia and Papua New Guinea shirts) the Carcassonne club gave me a club badge and my dad has been to Carcassonne a few times plus he once met Puig-Aubert (the most famous ever French player who also played for Carcassonne) thats why I have chosen them to grace my signature.

BTW, you seem to be very knowledgable about French Rugby League DonBilly.

yuck you went to france, i can smell the arogance and rudeness from over here

I stayed with about 15 French university students at Carnarvon Gorge last week. Good people but yes a little arrogant. They love their wine.

I think in the south they are less arrogant, as they don't have as much money.

Wigan what is it with you and people with with money... or lack of

He seems too have sort of thing for the more poorer people

Ripper must be rich then
<

Hell Yeah, Im fully loaded.

Just another Rich, Latte Drinking, Sexually and Economically Superior Aucklander

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Aug 24 2004, 01:14 AM
There is more chance of a richer person being arrogant than a poorer person.
*challenges you to justify such an outlandish statement*

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Aug 24 2004, 03:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Aug 24 2004, 03:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Aug 24 2004, 01:14 AM
There is more chance of a richer person being arrogant than a poorer person.
*challenges you to justify such an outlandish statement* [/b]
Money can cause arrogance, (not in all cases though)

Originally posted by incredible_holc@Aug 21 2004, 03:24 PM
yuck you went to france, i can smell the arrogance and rudeness from over here
<
<
<
He went to Southern France... not the USA.

Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 24 2004, 09:51 PM
Hell Yeah, Im fully loaded.

Just another Rich, Latte Drinking, Sexually and Economically Superior Aucklander
Yes and Auckland is a city apparently....
<
<
<
well more like a suberb of Sydney with 2 or 3 high rise buildings
<
<
<

Latest posts