• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interpretation

Olliekooga

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
First up let me say that England were AWFUL. What I go on to say isnt a "oh everyone hates England" thing but a genuine question.

During the England game and todays Wales, Scotland game I noticed that there seemed to be a lot more of the players trying to regain their feet after they had been tackled. If referees are asking tacklers to let go of the tackled player immediately then it surely must be understood that the tackled player shouldnt be able to regain his feet or continue forward which seemed to be happening in both games for both sides.

Am I just getting picky in my old age or do I have a point?

ATB
Ollie

First up let me say that England were AWFUL. What I go on to say isnt a "oh everyone hates England" thing but a genuine question.

During the England game and todays Wales, Scotland game I noticed that there seemed to be a lot more of the players trying to regain their feet after they had been tackled. If referees are asking tacklers to let go of the tackled player immediately then it surely must be understood that the tackled player shouldnt be able to regain his feet or continue forward which seemed to be happening in both games for both sides.

ATB
Ollie

I think you may have a point to a degree but aren't the tackling players supposed to roll away (altho ipossible with two players sitting on top of them but the ref still awards a penalty for not rolling away) and then get back to their feet to rejoin the attack of defense.

ATB
Ollie

It always gets me as well. It's kind of contradictory. If a player isn't held he can place the ball and then continue to run. If a player holds in the tackle without rolling away it's a penalty. I never get exactly where when rule ends and another begins.

It always gets me as well. It's kind of contradictory. If a player isn't held he can place the ball and then continue to run. If a player holds in the tackle without rolling away it's a penalty. I never get exactly where when rule ends and another begins.

Anyone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the tackler is obliged to release as soon as a ruck is formed?

Anyone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the tackler is obliged to release as soon as a ruck is formed?

That could well be it, but that would mean that if you were the tackler and you were hoping to contest the ball on your feet before arriving players, the tackled player would also be able to get up.

ATB
Ollie

The laws state that the ball carrier must release the ball when the tackle is made, The reason players are being able to return to there feet is because when the referee and commentators say the player "wasn't held" what they actually mean is the tackle is not complete and therefore the ball carriers is able and allowed to return to his feet and continue.

Now this like you say can contradict the law that requires the tackler and tackler assist to release but the main problem is consistency as different referees will see the ball carriers as being held in different ways but the laws are made to be interpreted and like most other laws different referees have different views as long as they uphold that view for both teams and throughout the match then the teams just have to adjust during the game.

Latest posts