• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Consistency and interpretation of the referees

Don't know what 'Irish loosing glasses' are but if want to address the point i'll gladly debate it with you. Barnes reffed one way in the first half (absolute zero tolerance of interfering in the ruck) and a completely different way in the second. He allowed Wales get away with murder close to their line.

Watch the passages back and refute what i'm saying instead of calling me a sore loser please. I've no problem with the result.

think he meant Irish Losing Glasses...

Imagine a World Cup final and a referee makes wrong calls like some of the ones we've seen this six nations. It would be crazy.

Imagine a World Cup final and a referee makes wrong calls like some of the ones we've seen this six nations. It would be crazy.

The calls aren't necessarily wrong, just open to interpretation. The question remains of how you make refereeing more consistent, whilst allowing for the fact that it can never be 100% consistent.

Might it be useful to have the 3rd official have a live link with the referee to prompt the referee to certain aspects of the game?

Just for the record I thought Barnes had a great game. Apart from the scrum at the end which I was surprised to see go to Wales, I thought he was consistent throughout.

In communication with the players and didn't take any crap.

Just for the record I thought Barnes had a great game. Apart from the scrum at the end which I was surprised to see go to Wales, I thought he was consistent throughout.

In communication with the players and didn't take any crap.

Consistently awful?

this is all karma for when Rolland sent Warbs off. Damn karma. ;)

To be fair, rolland was (pedantically) playing to the rules of the game. Barnes was just sh*t.

Just curious, how would you rate the referees in terms of consistency out of the current panel? Current panel consists of; Romaine Poite, Jerome Garces, Mathieu Raynal, Pascal Gauzere, Wayne Barnes, JP Doyle, George Clancy, John Lacey, Craig Joubert, Jaco Peyper, Nigel Owens, Chris Pollock, Steve Walsh.

Nigel Owens is hands down my favourite. He is always fair, and was the one to point out Pape's knee on Heaslip's back even though he was a touch judge. He's not afraid to tell it like it is. I'll always love that moment when he told Mike Brown and some french player they were immature.
I like Craig Joubert. He can be very good. He was disappointing in the RWC final 2011. Didn't penalise NZ for about 4 infringements and thought he should have gone to the TMO for the forward pass in the last passage of play in the Ireland/England match two weeks ago. It was forward but think he shouldve confirmed with the TMO.
Thought Jaco Peyper was good but not too sold on him after the Wales/France game 2 weeks ago. Made a couple of dodgy decisions.
Wayne Barnes is either extremely good (example when he spotted a double movement Ireland/Wales 2014 - just picking out what I remember), or he can be pretty awful, like that time he missed a forward pass in the world cup 2007 (pretty sure it was france and NZ again).
Steve Walsh is my least favourite. Makes some awful decisions and personal opinion but don't like the way he refs the choke tackle.

As for George Clancy, I'd love to know what people make of him who aren't Irish. I never thought he was great but he impressed me awarding that penalty try 2 weeks ago.

Just curious, how would you rate the referees in terms of consistency out of the current panel? Current panel consists of; Romaine Poite, Jerome Garces, Mathieu Raynal, Pascal Gauzere, Wayne Barnes, JP Doyle, George Clancy, John Lacey, Craig Joubert, Jaco Peyper, Nigel Owens, Chris Pollock, Steve Walsh.

Nigel Owens is hands down my favourite. He is always fair, and was the one to point out Pape's knee on Heaslip's back even though he was a touch judge. He's not afraid to tell it like it is. I'll always love that moment when he told Mike Brown and some french player they were immature.
I like Craig Joubert. He can be very good. He was disappointing in the RWC final 2011. Didn't penalise NZ for about 4 infringements and thought he should have gone to the TMO for the forward pass in the last passage of play in the Ireland/England match two weeks ago. It was forward but think he shouldve confirmed with the TMO.
Thought Jaco Peyper was good but not too sold on him after the Wales/France game 2 weeks ago. Made a couple of dodgy decisions.
Wayne Barnes is either extremely good (example when he spotted a double movement Ireland/Wales 2014 - just picking out what I remember), or he can be pretty awful, like that time he missed a forward pass in the world cup 2007 (pretty sure it was france and NZ again).
Steve Walsh is my least favourite. Makes some awful decisions and personal opinion but don't like the way he refs the choke tackle.

As for George Clancy, I'd love to know what people make of him who aren't Irish. I never thought he was great but he impressed me awarding that penalty try 2 weeks ago.

Particularly poor panel at the minute. Owens is the only good ref.

Walsh gets a lot of stick but he's actually decent. Never a fan of Joubert. He's respected because he communicates well with the players but gets decisions wrong constantly from what i see.

I absolutely couldn't agree more !!

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely agree - he is either incapable and an self important despot or consciously or subconsciously a cheat

His behaviour and decisons sugges he is probably both

Owens whilst gets a lot deserved praise was pretty poor when he reffed us against NZ both times last year. Which was shocking as he's usually solid.

Joubet Is usually pretty good.

Garces quite frustrating and it feels like he likes the sound of the whistle. Just feels like he gets people for minor infractions but refuses to make big calls as he gets them wrong. Should never allowed Wales' try and should not of been allowed to disallow England's (too many phases back). Even then the obstruction would of not stopped the try back to minor infractions.

Walsh had a good game the last time he reffed England but he has no bloody clue usually feel like he horribly biased towards us, refuses to explain his decisions, is completely inconsistent and hate his mug....We have him v France and it does not make me happy. He's the one ref I have actual issues with...still as said he had a good game out last so maybe he learnt His lesson.

I don't care for the rating of the refs, as long as they all ref the same way we wouldn't need to rate them.

The panel must take ownership of the way the breakdown is reffed completely differently all the time

Alain Rolland for me was the best ref. He was not afraid to make calls, was bilingual, and was respectful to players. Numerous times he has stopped a game because he worried about a certain player, and always checked with the medics. I still believe his call against Warburton was excellent. I remember watching the pundits afterwards, and their comments were crazy. "His legs just happened to go above his head", "these things happen". I don't believe for a second that Sam had malicious intent, he's one of my favourite Welsh players, but it was a dangerous tackle and Rolland was right. He had to abide by the rules which he did, and others probably wouldn't have done. Rolland was criticised because other tackles like Warbs hadnt gotten a red, but that's why Rolland was good, cause he wasn't afraid. (Still think Wales deserved to win that match, they were unlucky).

Speaking of bilingual refs, should there be more of them? I speak italian and a bit of french as well and always feel for the Italians and French when they're reffed in english. I'm not the biggest Barnes fan but the fact he made the effort to speak French in the ireland France game was great.

Latest posts