• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland A v Scotland A

Ireland A: 15. Duffy (Connacht), 14. Trimble (Ulster), 13. Cave (Ulster), 12. Matthews (Connacht), 11. McCrea (Ulster), 10. Sexton (Leinster), 9. Reddan (Wasps), 1. Healy (Leinster), 2. Cronin (Connacht), 3. Ross (Harlequins), 4. Casey © (London Irish), 5. Caldwell (Ulster), 6. Ryan (Munster), 7. Jennings (Leinster), 8. Muldoon (Connacht)

Replacements: 16. Fogarty (Leinster), 17. Andress (Exeter), 18. O'Donoghue (Ulster), 19. O'Brien (Leinster), 20. Boss (Ulster), 21. Humphreys (Ulster), 22. Murphy (Munster)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Feb 9 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many is the time O'Gara has folded too under pressure at international level.

But mostly at international level .. Paterson is the best place kicker in europe..who's better?[/b]

Under severe pressure I'd back O'Gara more than I would Paterson, same with Hook and Jones to land crucial kicks.
[/b][/quote]

Paterson had one bad game, every week, O'Gara,Jones and Hook miss several kicks. Paterson simply never does, also he takes them from everywhere unless they are over 45metres.

As for the game it wont be shown here as usual, BBC scotland air no rugby unfortunately, just football all the time. I went to the game last year in Perth when we won 67-7, that certainly wont happen again, probably a pretty tight game.

Paterson's had more than one bad games and there's been plenty of times where he's offered nothing in a match but his place kicks, certainly the same can't be said of Jones or O'Gara.

I'd love to see his kicking stats in terms of numbers of attempts compared to other kickers.

Feel sorry for Neil Best, missed his chance last week when the mighty Saxons wussed out. Still At least Ryan is getting a game.

would imagine he'll play for Saints this weekend, either way game time for both.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 11 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Paterson's had more than one bad games and there's been plenty of times where he's offered nothing in a match but his place kicks, certainly the same can't be said of Jones or O'Gara.

I'd love to see his kicking stats in terms of numbers of attempts compared to other kickers.[/b]

I mean hes barely ever had a bad game with the boot, also O'Gara and Jones have been ineffective in loads of matches. Ok but the day they slot 36 consecutive kicks is the day is the day Italy have better backs than forwards.

ROBINSON SELECTS 11 HOME-BASED PLAYERS FOR AWAY CONTEST

Scotland ‘A’ coach Andy Robinson has named his side to face Ireland ‘A’ at the RDS on Friday night (13 February, kick off 7.30pm) with 11 home-based players included in the starting line-up.

Six members of Glasgow Warriors’ squad have been selected alongside a quintet of Edinburgh Rugby players while the exiles are represented by Steve Jones (Newcastle Falcons), Sean Lamont (Northampton Saints), Rob Dewey (Ulster) and David Young (Gloucester).

In the pack, Johnnie Beattie will start at the base of the scrum in a back row containing Scott Newlands and Alan MacDonald. Up front, Glasgow pair Ed Kalman and Fergus Thomson will pack down at the coalface alongside Young.

Centre Ben Cairns has been chosen to captain the team in a back-line containing three full internationalists.

Ruaridh Jackson will make his first-ever start at stand-off at ‘A’ level and the young playmaker admits he is excited about taking the next step in his career.

Jackson said: “I’ve played one ‘A’ game so far this season, but that was at full-back. Now I’m at 10, so it will be another step up on the organisational front and I’m really looking forward to it.

“From my perspective, it is going to be another learning curve during what has been a pretty good year so far.

“It is going to be a massive step for me because I’ve only had two starts for Glasgow, so it will be another chance to get some game-time under my belt at a very high level.

“It will definitely help that there are so many other Glasgow players in the team because they are faces that I know.â€

When the teams met 12 months ago at McDiarmid Park, Scotland ran in an impressive 10 tries during a 67-7, but Jackson believes it will be a closer game this time around.

He added: “We got a good result last year, so this time we are expecting them to come out with all guns blazing.â€

Robinson, working alongside Sean Lineen and Shade Munro, says he is aiming to maintain the standards set by the team last year; both in terms of results and in the brand of rugby employed.

Robinson said: “We are keen to pick up where we left off. We achieved some good results with a positive brand of expansive rugby last season and the plan is for the players to replicate those performances against Ireland ‘A’ and Italy ‘A’.

“Ireland ‘A’ have a strong squad with some real quality; Eoin Reddan, Shane Jennings and Andrew Trimble are all players with Test experience.â€

On the injury front, centre John Houston has been ruled out of action after fracturing his hand during Edinburgh’s back-up match against Crawshay’s Welsh on Saturday evening.

Wing Andrew Turnbull returns back from Scotland 7’s duty to take his place on the bench alongside Scott MacLeod, who could experience his first taste of international rugby since the summer.

Scotland ‘A’ squad to play Ireland ‘A’ at RDS, Dublin (Friday 13 February, kick-off 7.30pm)

15 Steve Jones (Newcastle Falcons), 14 Jim Thompson (Edinburgh Rugby), 13 Ben Cairns (Edinburgh Rugby) CAPTAIN, 12 Rob Dewey (Ulster), 11 Sean Lamont (Northampton Saints), 10 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors), 9 Mark McMillan (Glasgow Warriors), 1 Ed Kalman (Glasgow Warriors), 2 Fergus Thomson (Glasgow Warriors), 3 David Young (Gloucester), 4 Craig Hamilton (Edinburgh Rugby), 5 Dan Turner (Glasgow Warriors), 6 Scott Newlands (Edinburgh Rugby), 7 Alan MacDonald (Edinburgh Rugby), 8 Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors)

Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson (Gloucester), 17 Stuart Corsar (Rotherham ***ans), 18 Scott MacLeod (Edinburgh Rugby), 19 Steve Swindall (Glasgow Warriors), 20 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), 21 Gordon Ross (Saracens), 22 Andrew Turnbull (Edinburgh Rugby)

From - Scottish Rugby

Shane Jennings has pulled out and as far as I know O'Brien moves into the first XV with Niall Ronan onto the bench.

Oh for f*** sake James f***ing Jones is the referee :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Two penalties kicked against the Scots so far offside, and not realising. And another missed kicked could have made it 9-0 to Ireland.

Very impressed with the front row. Scottish Tight Head is on his last warning already. Donnacha Ryan is playing very well too.

9-0 to Ireland know as Sexton slots another in the 22nd minute (Sexton is 3/4 now).

I'm glad Jennings and Best pulled out. O'Brien and Ryan are having a fantastic match.

Try to Ireland, not converted. Ball squirted out of the ruck and an Irish player went down on it, popped it out to runner, who took it past a man before giving it out to Sexton.

Sexton scores a try after good work from Caldwell and particularly O'Brien. Misses the conversion so it's 14-0. Ryan and O'Brien are indeed playing very well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 13 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm glad Jennings and Best pulled out. O'Brien and Ryan are having a fantastic match.[/b]
Agreed. I think O'Brien is having a better season than Jennings and should be the primary 7 for Leinster (and Ireland A) anyway.

Half time and Scotland clawed three points back after nearly 15 minutes in the Irish half. Some Scottish mistakes made them lose yards when they were in the Irish 22 but they didn't look dangerous anyway according to Brent Pope. I'd disagree slightly, I think they took the wrong option on occasion, going wide when there was space out blind, and taking it to the midfield when there was space outside but they had a good few minutes of retention. Still, Ireland look the better side if they could just hang on to the ball.

I don't actually see any issue with the try, to me it looks like it popped out of his hands after he was over the line.

don't know how he played in the first half but disappointing for Cave not to get the 80 minutes, with Murphy coming on for the second half.

scrum absolutely decimating the Scots there. Penalty try even though Muldoon was over as Jones was whistling for the penalty. Made the conversion easier even if it is harsh on Muldoon.

quality break from Murphy, I've no problem with him being on, would have just preferred for Cave to get a full 80. Shame nobody had the nous to support him though.

Latest posts