• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland name three day training squad

F

feicarsinn

So this is basically the equivalent of England's Elite player squad I guess, pretty much the panel of players the November international squad will come from.
Props
Tony Buckley
Tom Court
Cian Healy
John Hayes
Marcus Horan
Brett Wilkinson
Hookers
Sean Cronin
Jerry Flannery
Rory Best
Second Rows
Leo Cullen
Donnacha O'Callaghan
Paul O'Connell
Mick O'Driscoll
Donnacha Ryan
Devin Toner
Back Rows
Neil Best
Stephen Ferris
Jamie Heasilp
Shane Jennings
Denis Leamy
David Wallace
Scrum Halves
Peter Stringer
Tomas O'Leary
Out-halves
Ronan O'Gara
Paddy Wallace
Johnny Sexton
Centres
Brian O'Driscoll
Gordon D'arcy
Keith Earls
Andrew Trimble
Fergus McFadden
Wings
Shane Horgan
Luke Fitzgerald
Tommy Bowe
Ian Dowling
Fullbacks
Geordan Murphy
Robert Kearney

Strong enough I guess. Surprised to see no Reddan, two scrumhalves is a bit on the light side to be honest. A few uncapped lads in there and plenty of experiance. A good mix.

Healy
Flannery
Hayes
O'Callaghan
O'Connell
Ferris
Wallace
Heaslip
O'Leary
Sexton
Fitzgerald
D'arcy
O'Drsicoll
Bowe
JesusKearney

We won't lose until at least the summer tests next year. All hail Kidney.

I'm glad someone else did this because I was dreading the thought of doing this later.

It's a good squad in that it clears up some of the odditys of selection for the summer squad like Keatley ahead of Sexton and such.

Brett Wilkinson yet no Mike Ross? Strange though I'm sure it'll change by November, all things going well. Glad to see cian Healy making the squad.

Pleasant surprise of Cronin getting promoted to the full squad. One of the most impressive players in the Summer tour and Churchill Cup by far. I can't think of anything he did wrong.

Leo Cullen and Mick O'Driscoll I don't think should be there. Both as old as POC and DOC and I'd rather see Donnocha Ryan or Dev Toner being developed before either of them come anywhere a matchday 22 for Ireland. Perhaps it's a way of showing thaty effort will be rewarded because in fairness Mick worked his ass off at Munster last year and same goes for Cullen at Leinster.

Back Rows, well we havee a sickening amount of talent hanging around at the moment. Disappointed that Jennings is still there and not Niall Ronan or maybe one of the younger ones....i.e Sean O'Brien. But that's another thing that can be fixed by November.

Eoin Reddan was at Wasps last year so it makes no sense for him to be in the squad and it's a shame that the English squad can't use that kind of reasoning. If anyone is missing out it's Frank Murphy.

Well good for Jonny Sexton and I still think Keatley should be in the squad because Wallace is a centre and Keatley was the best player for Connacht last year.

I like that you put Trimble down as a centre where he bloody well belomgs and I'd like to see him play there again. Loads of young talent in the centre now so no worries. Will be interesting to see where Earls settles.

Not so happy yo see Dowling there. Fionn Carr and Jonny Murphy were both better than him in the Summer.

Seems Girv has been retired from international rugby. It'll be interesting to see if Felix Jones brings his summer form to Munster and drags himself kicking and screaming into November squad.

Fairly good squad. Will be interesting to see the final summer training camp squad.

I think Reddan not being included at this point is a good thing, I think he needs to build himself back up at club level and earn his stripes again. I think he's still got what it takes to play international rugby.

My only real critisism of Ireland from the past few years is the lack of young players, especially in the pack. It's good to see a few new faces in the training squad but I don't know how many of them are likely to make a 22 any time soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 10 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Reddan not being included at this point is a good thing, I think he needs to build himself back up at club level and earn his stripes again. I think he's still got what it takes to play international rugby.

My only real critisism of Ireland from the past few years is the lack of young players, especially in the pack. It's good to see a few new faces in the training squad but I don't know how many of them are likely to make a 22 any time soon.[/b]

Well Ferris is 23 and Heaslip is 25.

Cian Healy is 22 and he'll be pushing to start at loosehead in the near future we hope. No point in fighting Poc-Doc for a place at the moment. Sean Cronin is 22 at the moment and if Best or Flannery get injured he'll be in the 22 aswell (we hope).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 11 2009, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

My only real critisism of Ireland from the past few years is the lack of young players, especially in the pack. It's good to see a few new faces in the training squad but I don't know how many of them are likely to make a 22 any time soon.[/b]

dgsgsgfsdgsgdg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Aug 12 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 11 2009, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dgsgsgfsdgsgdg
[/b][/quote]

Not sure what happened with my last post, anyway If this team is picked for the Autumn Internationals(I hope it will be)

Cian Healy - 21
Jerry Flannery - 30(Cronin looks to be a good prospect)
John Hayes - 36(we really need to find a replacement for hayes, no one seems to stand out, Buckley can't scrummage)
Donncha O'Callaghan - 30(luckily second rowers seem to have a long shelf life)
Paul O'Connell - 30
Stephen Ferris - 23
David Wallace - 33(Have decent replacements in Leamy, Best, O'Brien)
Jamie Heaslip - 25
Tomas O'Leary - 25
Johnny Sexton - 24
Luke Fitzgerald - 22
Gordon D'Arcy - 29(Maybe Earls, Trimble(god I hope not), Mcfadden?)
Brian O'Driscoll - 30(I'm pretty sure he's immortal so no worries there)
Tommy Bowe - 25
Rob Kearney - 23

That's 8 players 25 or under, good mix of youth and experience. I reckon Kidney will try to mould Earls to be BOD's succesor. BOD's getting on a bit now and probably won't play every game leading up to the WC so hopefully Earls will be handed the less important games eg Fiji, Scotland ,Italy etc.

I did say this was usually in the pack, usually the 8 that start games are older...that's something I've noticed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Aug 12 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Aug 12 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 11 2009, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dgsgsgfsdgsgdg
[/b][/quote]

Not sure what happened with my last post, anyway If this team is picked for the Autumn Internationals(I hope it will be)

Cian Healy - 21
Jerry Flannery - 30(Cronin looks to be a good prospect)
John Hayes - 36(we really need to find a replacement for hayes, no one seems to stand out, Buckley can't scrummage)
Donncha O'Callaghan - 30(luckily second rowers seem to have a long shelf life)
Paul O'Connell - 30
Stephen Ferris - 23
David Wallace - 33(Have decent replacements in Leamy, Best, O'Brien)
Jamie Heaslip - 25
Tomas O'Leary - 25
Johnny Sexton - 24
Luke Fitzgerald - 22
Gordon D'Arcy - 29(Maybe Earls, Trimble(god I hope not), Mcfadden?)
Brian O'Driscoll - 30(I'm pretty sure he's immortal so no worries there)
Tommy Bowe - 25
Rob Kearney - 23

That's 8 players 25 or under, good mix of youth and experience. I reckon Kidney will try to mould Earls to be BOD's succesor. BOD's getting on a bit now and probably won't play every game leading up to the WC so hopefully Earls will be handed the less important games eg Fiji, Scotland ,Italy etc.
[/b][/quote]

Totally agree with the need for a bit of experimenting. Though I don't know what you've got against Trimble as a centre. He's always played well for Ireland at centre and I think it's a shame he doesn't get more chances there with Ulster. Chuck Paddy Wallace I say and give Trimbe-Cave combo a chance.

Toner and Donnocha Ryan can cover second row so I'm not worried there.

Big worry is still tight head cover for Hayes. Hopefully Mike Ross is given a chance.

And Sean O'Brien is almost an identical replacement of Wally so all will be good there and Pollock up in Ulster is quality aswell so no worries.

A few Ulster faces missing, but hardly surprising with the pro-Munster leanings of Kidney.

Training squad for September 14/15 training camp.

The squad is split into 20 forwards and 14 backs, contains six uncapped players and sees Leinster duo Bernard Jackman and Eoin Reddan included for the first time this season. There are are six uncapped players named in the squad - Leinster tyros Cian Healy, Devin Toner, Jonathan Sexton and Fergus McFadden and Connacht front rowers Brett Wilkinson and Sean Cronin.

Commenting on the training camp, Ireland coach Declan Kidney said: "The two camps that we have had have been hugely beneficial in terms of continuing the work from last season and preparing for the year ahead in what will certainly be a big challenge for the squad.

"We set out to maintain the building process of a panel based on the summer tours as well as that already knew about the players.

"The next time we meet as a squad will be November, so hopefully the players can produce good form so that the foundations laid now will benefit us at that point."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/ireland-t...ced-422038.html

Props
Tony Buckley
Tom Court
Cian Healy
John Hayes
Marcus Horan
Brett Wilkinson
Hookers
Sean Cronin
Jerry Flannery
Bernard Jackman
Second Rows
Leo Cullen
Donnacha O'Callaghan
Paul O'Connell
Mick O'Driscoll
Donnacha Ryan
Devin Toner
Back Rows
Stephen Ferris
Jamie Heasilp
Shane Jennings
Denis Leamy
David Wallace
Scrum Halves
Peter Stringer
Tomas O'Leary
Eoin Reddan (in)
Out-halves
Ronan O'Gara
Paddy Wallace
Johnny Sexton
Centres
Brian O'Driscoll
Gordon D'arcy
Keith Earls
Andrew Trimble
Fergus McFadden
Wings
Shane Horgan
Luke Fitzgerald
Tommy Bowe
Fullbacks
Robert Kearney

Out:
Neil Best
Rory Best
Ian Dowling
Geordan Murphy,

so basically the two England based fellers and the injured 2 are out. Though in fairness shouldn't have had Dowling in there anyway.

Good to see that they're keeping Cronin in the camp. Quality player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The squad is split into 20 forwards and 14 backs, contains six uncapped players and sees Leinster duo Bernard Jackman and Eoin Reddan included for the first time this season.

There are are six uncapped players named in the squad - Leinster tyros Cian Healy, Devin Toner, Jonathan Sexton and Fergus McFadden and Connacht front rowers Brett Wilkinson and Sean Cronin.

Commenting on the training camp, Ireland coach Declan Kidney said: "The two camps that we have had have been hugely beneficial in terms of continuing the work from last season and preparing for the year ahead in what will certainly be a big challenge for the squad.

"We set out to maintain the building process of a panel based on the summer tours as well as that already knew about the players.

"The next time we meet as a squad will be November, so hopefully the players can produce good form so that the foundations laid now will benefit us at that point."

IRELAND Squad (Training Camp, Dublin, September 2009):

http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_18253.php[/b]

IRFU disagrees with you kid.

Props:

Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)*
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)*
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)

Hookers:

Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
Bernard Jackman (Clontarf/Leinster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)*

Second Row:

Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)

Back Row:

Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

Scrum Halves:

Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Old Crescent/Leinster)

Fly Halves:

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)*

Centres:

Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (UCD/Leinster)*
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)

Wingers:

Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) ;)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)

Fullbacks:

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 8 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
The squad is split into 20 forwards and 14 backs, contains six uncapped players and sees Leinster duo Bernard Jackman and Eoin Reddan included for the first time this season.

There are are six uncapped players named in the squad - Leinster tyros Cian Healy, Devin Toner, Jonathan Sexton and Fergus McFadden and Connacht front rowers Brett Wilkinson and Sean Cronin.

IRELAND Squad (Training Camp, Dublin, September 2009):

http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_18253.php[/b]

IRFU disagrees with you kid.

Props:

Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)*
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)*
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)

Hookers:

Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
Bernard Jackman (Clontarf/Leinster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)*

Second Row:

Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)

Back Row:

Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

Scrum Halves:

Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Old Crescent/Leinster)

Fly Halves:

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)*

Centres:

Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (UCD/Leinster)*
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)

Wingers:

Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) ;)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)

Fullbacks:

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I sorry, No Tommy Bowe...but you seem to have put Andrew Trimble who has played all off his competative rugby at centre this year on the wing.

I agree, Keith should indeed be at fullback

Seems Girv is finished in the Ireland Jersey. Not even in the 35 man squad..

And I put a wink next to it, because I was doing just to see if I could get a reaction ;)

Ulster's first choice Centre partnership is still Wallace and Cave, who both started on the bench against NGD. Trimble may have played "all his pro rugby this year" :)lol:) at centre, but if he wants to play in the first team it's likely it will be on the wing.

And Buckley ahead of Ross? Mick'O ahead of Caldwell/anybody? Jack<strike>ass</strike>man ahead of Fogarty?

Obviously DK is a god and every decision he makes is 110% correct but these are still almost questionable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 8 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And Buckley ahead of Ross? Mick'O ahead of Caldwell/anybody? Jack<strike>ass</strike>man ahead of Fogarty?[/b]
Buckley ahead of Ross is a decision I can understand. He's (marginally) younger and has more experience at test level. Until Ross solidifies his place in the Leinster setup, he can have no complaints about being behind Buckley. Buckley needs to sharpen up though.

I agree that Caldwell should be ahead of O'Driscoll. O'Driscoll is an honest pro who's made the most of his ability but he's never going to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag his teammates along. Caldwell has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head but is worth persevering with.

I'd definitely have Jackman ahead of Fogarty. He's playing consistently for a top team, is an excellent ball carrier, his workrate in defence is exemplary and his lineout throwing, despite outdated popular opinion, is of an okay standard. Fogarty has to push Jerry Flannery harder before he deserves an Ireland call up. He's definitely improving but right now I'd have Best, Flannery, Jackman and Cronin ahead of him in the pecking order.

I've no real complaints with the squad. I'd make one addition though. Niall Ronan may be lightweight but his form over the last year has been outstanding. He can count himself unlucky not to be called upon.

Latest posts