• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Argentina

I am so shocked that Ireland are playing so badly...where is the free flowing rugby we saw in the 6 nations. I def do think G. Murphy should play and maybe he can give that bit extra to the team.

But it's all about O'Driscoll and D'Arcy actually doing something...

As a Leicester fan i'm biased, but i'm really gald Murphy got a run out. Although most of Irealnds problems has stemmed from poor ball, they have also lacked a little creativity. They need a player like Murphy if they want to score tries given that the centres haven't been as creative as usual recently.

I wouldn't worry too much about Garryowens either. They were mainly used i think because in the opener France fielded an inexperienced fullback who was rightly targetted. Ireland did the same, but they targetted an experienced French fulback in the first 20mins which led to practically nothing.

Great news for Pumas if Hickie plays. I don´t mean any disrespect to the irish fans , but he couldn't score a try in a polo field.

[/b]

Couldn't be any more disrespectful to a great player if you tried. Hickie is a great finisher albeit he has been in poor form in this world cup, and is possibly a year or so past his best.

These aren't on a polo field but they ain't bad at all.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NzW5KlXF5d8
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENgRnh5U4I
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GA6vdKNuKro

Irish Team named.

15 â€" Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
14 â€" Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)
13 â€" Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
12 â€" Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 â€" Denis Hickie (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
10 â€" Ronan O’Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 â€" Eoin Reddan (Wasps)
1 â€" Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
2 â€" A.N. Other
3 â€" John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 â€" Donncha O’Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 â€" Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 â€" Simon Easterby (Llaneli)
7 â€" David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 â€" Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements
16 â€" A.N. Other
17 â€" Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
18 â€" Malcolm O’Kelly (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
19 â€" Neil Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
20 â€" Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)
21 â€" Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
22 â€" Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

Best and Flannery not put in place just yet due to injury concerns...
Nice to see we have packed the backline with all our strike runners.
Still an odd bench though. Would have thought he'd stick in Strings for Boss. And now dropping Dempsey completely?? weird.
[/b]

Dempsey hasn't been dropped he picked up a collarbone injury in the French match, he would have started had he been fit, I've no doubts about that.

Strange though that he makes no changes in the pack, utterly cack up to now yet he sticks with the same formula, what are Quinlan and O'Kelly doing in France at all.

<div class='quotemain'> I went into this tournament with Ireland as my no. 2 team to support (after Australia)...

But now I really want Argentina to beat Ireland and finish first...

I just think it would be great for the game... [/b]

Definitely. It will be a huge boost for World Rugby, especially for Argentina (they were my no. 3 team to support). I'm a little excited about the Puma's chances to fight their way through to a semi-final spot. It would be more exciting to see the near-coming 2008 4-nations teams (ARG, SA, AUS and NZ) fighting it out at that stage of the competition.
[/b][/quote]

I wish that too, PUMAS must to play the four nation now, for that, we must win against Irland and Scotland or Italy. But the way the four nation in the the top of ranking are the southern nation, and the top nation in every group or this world cup are the souther nation, a question... WERE ARE EUROPE?

<div class='quotemain'> Hello Next Sunday All French Will Be Irish!!! Com'on Ireland [/b]

Not all the french ;)

I think Argentina deserve it better than us. They beat us (one more time) in font of our public, in the opening match... et we were really lucky to get this bonus point, with the two penalties missed by Contepomi at the end.

They are stronger, period. I really want to see them in semi final. And if we still have the pretension of winning this world cup, we must beat the Blacks in anyway. At Cardiff ? We can only blame our organisation... so be it !

My prediction: Argentina by 9
[/b][/quote]

that is the actitute!!!, if you feel capacited to be a new world champions, you must win against the all black or any team in the quarters, semis and final. A real champions are happy with the victory was for himself, not for other team, come on, thats call pride!!!! :)

<div class='quotemain'>

Great news for Pumas if Hickie plays. I don´t mean any disrespect to the irish fans , but he couldn't score a try in a polo field.

[/b]

Couldn't be any more disrespectful to a great player if you tried. Hickie is a great finisher albeit he has been in poor form in this world cup, and is possibly a year or so past his best.

These aren't on a polo field but they ain't bad at all.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NzW5KlXF5d8
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENgRnh5U4I
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GA6vdKNuKro
[/b][/quote]

What`s fair is fair. Great videos and you proved your point. But we agree : the last version of Hickie is below standard.

What`s fair is fair. Great videos and you proved your point. But we agree : the last version of Hickie is below standard.
[/b]

True enough the problem for Ireland is that he also has 14 companions who are also playing well below the standard. :wah:

If Ireland were at their best they would have had a decent chance of beating Argentina, but even at our very best of a year or so ago, we would never have scored 4 tries against this Argentina side.

Looking at the current form of both teams, I think the motivation winning the group and avoiding the All Blacks in the QF, (with a bit of revenge for 2003 thrown in as well perhaps) will see Argentina home, but I expect it will be a much tighter game than most people think.

At this stage I would be happy with a good performance from the Irish team.

My Prediction:
Argentina 26 - Ireland 22

If Ireland do go out on Sunday I will be hoping that the Argentina team go very far the tournament.

Watching those tries against Italy and Aus was depressing...

Look at the running lines of the backline in all cases.....dummy runners, offloading, inside balls, great decision making.
Good enough to crack defences...

Currently i'm almost celebrating if a player catches a ball and runs a little!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

True enough the problem for Ireland is that he also has 14 companions who are also playing well below the standard. :wah:

If Ireland were at their best they would have had a decent chance of beating Argentina, but even at our very best of a year or so ago, we would never have scored 4 tries against this Argentina side.

Looking at the current form of both teams, I think the motivation winning the group and avoiding the All Blacks in the QF, (with a bit of revenge for 2003 thrown in as well perhaps) will see Argentina home, but I expect it will be a much tighter game than most people think.

At this stage I would be happy with a good performance from the Irish team.

My Prediction:
Argentina 26 - Ireland 22

If Ireland do go out on Sunday I will be hoping that the Argentina team go very far the tournament.
[/b][/quote]

I think all irish and argentinian expect to be a tight match. Some people outside this countries expect Ireland or Argentina to win by a big margin. I`m already nervous. It will be the most thilling match of the pool stages. 2nd place for Scotland Italy and 3rd to England - Tonga.

To be honest, i can't see how it'll be a tight match...
Ireland MUST throw it around, to get the big score that we need. I can see a large score going both ways. Ireland going for it and leaving ourselves exposed for Argentina to put us to the sword, or, Ireland going for it, and getting the big score required.
Final option - and i think this is going to happen....Ireland to get the 4 tries, get the bonus point, then let in two tries late in the second half to give Argentina the BP and, more deservedly so.....the route to the QFs..

Horgan won't have any problems with the garryowens from Hernandez, he's rock solid under high ball and in no way near being the weakest link in the Irish team, in fact he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
[/b]

Well, he was, in my opinion, pretty insecure with high balls against France and Georgia. Lets just hope he keeps that way next Sunday :p

<div class='quotemain'>
Horgan won't have any problems with the garryowens from Hernandez, he's rock solid under high ball and in no way near being the weakest link in the Irish team, in fact he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
[/b]

Well, he was, in my opinion, pretty insecure with high balls against France and Georgia. Lets just hope he keeps that way next Sunday :p
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you. Horgan didn´t seem to be solid as a rock on the kicks at his back. And also hope to see him the same way on sunday

Good evening,

I would like our french team to avoid ABs in quarter final in Cardiff but we must be realistic: Ireland dont seem to be in a form to beat Argentina.

Our team is a deception in game but i'mnot sure Argentina's team is a great one. We offer them the try to defeat us and made many mistakes so that they win.

I watched their 2 last matches and they dont seem to be superior to Ireland.
I think it will be a tough match with few tries and few differences.

I think Argentina will win by less than 7 points and that will we play ABs in Cardiff.

Bye.

<div class='quotemain'>
Hello Next Sunday All French Will Be Irish!!! Com'on Ireland
[/b]

Pathetic!!!! :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

GO IRELAND!

And this is not because we need Ireland to win over Argies but more because Gallics are celtes. ;)

GO IWERZHON! :cheers:

Our team is a deception in game but i'mnot sure Argentina's team is a great one. We offer them the try to defeat us and made many mistakes so that they win.[/b]

Well, that can't say anything good about a team that lost 5 out 6 times against Argentina.

I watched their 2 last matches and they dont seem to be superior to Ireland.
I think it will be a tough match with few tries and few differences.[/b]

That's VERY weird considering that Argentina have beaten Georgia very clearly 33 - 3, 4 tries to zero while Ireland have barely beaten Georgia 14 - 10, two tries to one and with Georgia on the command for the last 30 minutes. Regarding Namibia's matches is almost the same, Ireland won 32-17, five tries to two while Argentina won much more clearly 63-3, nine tries to none.

Maybe you can't see the difference but I think it's quite clear.

I didnot see the match of Ireland ... just knew scores.
They seem to progress match after match.
Argentina's team didnot impressed me ... but as i said before... i think they should win a tough match.

I didnot see the match of Ireland ... just knew scores.
They seem to progress match after match.
Argentina's team didnot impressed me ... but as i said before... i think they should win a tough match.
[/b]

Well, I find it amusing then, their scores are below what they should have achived with their potential.

Ireland progresses match after match? Are you joking? They barely grasped a victory over Georgia and then they lost pretty clearly against France ... that kind of progress would mean a bonus point for Argentina.

Meanwhile Argentina defeated France, got a bonus point against Georgia and smahed a 9 tries victory against Namibia and you aren't impressed, fine. Anyway looking at the pool standing will show that too ...

Of course, Argentina will win the whole tournament because idiot features here ^^^ says so...

Of course, Argentina will win the whole tournament because idiot features here ^^^ says so...
[/b]

What? Everybody knows that England will retain their ***le.

It looks like there are more people impressed by irish results and their match to match progression, please watch this RWC and not old ones. Argentina could reach SF, that's it, but so far we have done it clearly much better than any other NH nation.