• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Australia - 19.11.22

I don't think this will be the foregone conclusion that people expect. Having said that I expect Ireland to win but only by 5-7 points. Should be a good game.

I don't think this will be the foregone conclusion that people expect. Having said that I expect Ireland to win but only by 5-7 points. Should be a good game.
There are only two available options - a one point loss or a one point win.

And something absolutely ridiculous will happen in the last couple of minutes. Probably one of the dumbest things youve ever seen on a rugby football pitch.

Ross Byrne being called in might suggest they're a bit more worried about Sexton than originally stated

I'm assuming Carbery is out so Crowley is ostensibly next up if Sexton and Frawley are out, so I can see why Farrell would have one eye on Byrne"s experience. It will be very interesting to see just how much he rates and trusts Crowley. It would be a massive gamble to start him, but he's a guy who has a very high ceiling, probably higher than Carbery's and Frawley's imo.

i had high hopes for Byrne and thought he'd have been a better fit for Munster than Carbery, and that Munster would have been a better fit for him. I think his development has suffered, and while he was never going to be a Sexton or ROG, he could have been better than he is with regular responsibility in bigger games, but opportunity has passed him by and he isn't the answer at this stage.

I was hugely impressed by Crowley with the u20s and was disappointed that van Graan wasn't giving him the opportunity to kick on, but he has come into his own this year and needs to be given the chance to show what he can do, and this is the perfect opportunity. Like you I will be very disappointed if he's passed over.

There's little risk Byrne will end up starting if, clearly fourth choice here. Its just so we don't end up with Lowry in the 22 shirt I'd say.

To be honest - Ireland losing this would be an embarrasment. The Wallabies are simply not able to select their best team due to club demands and pretty much never can (except arguably during world cups). Consider that in the context of the 35 odd injuries we've had this test season, which is not an exaggeration. We are closer now to the pacific Islands than a top tier side in terms of access to resources both playing and otherwise.

A relatively full-strength Ireland side with incomparable resources at home should win this game nineteen times in twenty, at least.

This would have been a free swing for Rennie had he not played 12 rookies against Italy and thrown the match. 2/5 would have been a successful tour for him but now he basically needs a win against two sides we are fully expected to lose to.

Last edited:
To be honest - Ireland losing this would be an embarrasment. The Wallabies are simply not able to select their best team due to club demands and pretty much never can (except arguably during world cups). Consider that in the context of the 35 odd injuries we've had this test season, which is not an exaggeration. We are closer now to the pacific Islands than a top tier side in terms of access to resources both playing and otherwise.

A relatively full-strength Ireland side with incomparable resources at home should win this game nineteen times in twenty, at least.

This would have been a free swing for Rennie had he not played 12 rookies against Italy and thrown the match. 2/5 would have been a successful tour for him but now he basically needs a win against two sides we are fully expected to lose to.
Why do aussies get so many injuries? Playing in the dry season?

I remember at one point when deans was coach I guessed what I thought their top 22 would be if for no injuries (and at the time I had a pretty good idea of deans preferences so I would have been very close if not exactly correct), and then counted how many of them were available to play - the answer was 7. (And that didn't tell the whole picture because in some positions they were down to their fourth or fifth best.)

I'm not up with the play enough at the moment to repeat that exercise, not sure who is injured, and wouldn't be quite as accurate at picking the top 23 without injuries or unavailability's for other reasons. Perhaps (my prediction of rennie first choice, and no doubt I'll forget someone)
Bell sio
Porecki faingaa
Slipper tupou
Arnold
skelton frost
Leota
Hooper
Valetini samu
White gordon
Cooper foley
Koroibete
Kerevi
Peresi (always injured so hard to know what rennie thinks of him)
Kellaway
Banks Petaia

But I'm not up with the play on who is injured. Will wait to see who is picked to play Ireland.

Only one (Hooper) of our five best players are available (Kerevi, Cooper, Koroibete and Arnold unavailable).

Outside those there are so many squad players that would be filling in right now that arent available. Whether injured like HJH, Bell, Perese, Rodda, Leota, Swinton, etc or lost to us like BPA, Naisarani etc

Then all the guys who spent the vast majority of their lives in Aus but are representing other nations like Lomax, Dempsey (14 Wallaby caps ffs), Hanson, Cornelson etc.

There are basically two full teams of players that, in an ideal world, would be available. We have no fucken chance of ever being competitive.

Edit: forgot Philip our best lock all year has done his ACL.

Last edited:

You'll beat Wales. Remember, we lost to Italy at home with pretty much our first team. Plus it's out of the international window so won't have LRZ. Normally close games between us 2 but at least Rennie is a half decent coach so reckon you'll get the job done.

No team named yet but both the Times and the Indo have Jimmy O'Brien replacing Baloucoune on the wing. Not a selection that anyone would have expected before the series but it almost feels logical now. Andy doesn't really have any other decisions to make unless he wants to shake things up, Aki/McCloskey is the only debateable one.

I imagine we'll end up with 12. McCloskey 14. JOB 23. Aki, it's unfortunate that one of those three + Baloucoune has to miss out really.

I think there's a vague possiblity that Furlong or Ringrose gets rotated but it's more likely that's something that's left to Leinster.

Latest posts