17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 120 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 26 caps
19. Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) *
20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 32 caps
21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 6 caps
22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 1 cap
23. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 40 caps

Literally announced as I posted that last message

Tough on Balacoune, but he's looked off the pace in both games, and JOB has grabbed his chance with both hands. Great to see Farrell keep faith with McCloskey and Crowley, and now it's up to them to follow JOBs example. No complaints about the rest of the side, and there can't be any excuses if we lose to Aus. Not that that will stop us. 😂

Yeah, I saw a lot of angry demands for Balacoune and Lowry prior to the AIs elsewhere, which was fair, but most made sure to state as fact that Jimmy wasn't at the level... Jimmy gonna Jimmy

Only one (Hooper) of our five best players are available (Kerevi, Cooper, Koroibete and Arnold unavailable).

Outside those there are so many squad players that would be filling in right now that arent available. Whether injured like HJH, Bell, Perese, Rodda, Leota, Swinton, etc or lost to us like BPA, Naisarani etc

Then all the guys who spent the vast majority of their lives in Aus but are representing other nations like Lomax, Dempsey (14 Wallaby caps ffs), Hanson, Cornelson etc.

There are basically two full teams of players that, in an ideal world, would be available. We have no fucken chance of ever being competitive.

Edit: forgot Philip our best lock all year has done his ACL.
I forgot HJH, BPA, naisaraini.

I think fair to say, conservatively, around ten in total from the top 23 unavailable.

But yeah, if Ireland only had one of their top 5 (sexton, furlong, jvdf, beirne,... thinking jgp not because he is really in their top 5 but is fifth least replaceable (sorry henshaw and co)) and then six others were also unavailable, you'd have to say that would affect them quite a bit.

Whatever anyone thinks about Farrell. (I've been huge fan long before Ireland days) It has to be said he has evolved Irish rugby massively. The amount of players who have been exposed to International Tests against top tier opposition has been brilliant.

I see Sexton is playing again. Ireland really need to give another fly half some game time against the top teams otherwise when Sexton gets injured in the world cup it will be same old for Ireland come the knockout stages.

I see Sexton is playing again. Ireland really need to give another fly half some game time against the top teams otherwise when Sexton gets injured in the world cup it will be same old for Ireland come the knockout stages.
We've played more players at 10 in this world cup cycle than any other position. The guy on the bench was 4th choice going into this series and probably about 7th choice at the start of the year.

We beat Argentina by 45 points and competed well against France in Paris in the 6n without Sexton.

There's decent 10s there but replacing the best player we've ever produced prematurely makes no sense.

Sexton has only missed one World Cup knockout game in his career due to injury. Carbery and Harry Byrne were the guys marked out to replace him and are both far more injury prone.

We've played more players at 10 in this world cup cycle than any other position. The guy on the bench was 4th choice going into this series and probably about 7th choice at the start of the year.

We beat Argentina by 45 points and competed well against France in Paris in the 6n without Sexton.

There's decent 10s there but replacing the best player we've ever produced prematurely makes no sense.

Sexton has only missed one World Cup knockout game in his career due to injury. Carbery and Harry Byrne were the guys marked out to replace him and are both far more injury prone.
Lets revisit this conversation in a years time when Sexton gets a head injury in the pool game against South Africa and has to miss the quarter final. No other fly half has starter in any big games for Ireland over the last few years. Its madness repeating the same mistake again.

To be honest I think Ireland's pack alone can get them to a semi final, it's that good. If Sexton got injured just before the WC it would be a massive loss but unlike world cups gone by I don't think I would be to disheartened if he missed out. Having said that a fit Sexton does raise them up that extra few percent to arguably best team in the world category and semi final onwards is when that could be key.

Lets revisit this conversation in a years time when Sexton gets a head injury in the pool game against South Africa and has to miss the quarter final. No other fly half has starter in any big games for Ireland over the last few years. Its madness repeating the same mistake again.

Carbery started the biggest game of this years Six Nations.

2011 QF - Sexton is fit but benched, starter O'Gara plays poorly
2015 QF - Sexton gets injured along with O'Connell, Payne and O'Mahoney, O'Brien suspended. Replacement, Madigan, had a decent game
2019 QF - Sexton is fit and starts

Sexton's fitness has really never cost us at a world cup, the one tike he went down was when we had our best 10 cover.

When nations have generational players far better than the competition, they tend to play them: