• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRPA Try of the Year 2015

Who should win the IRPA Try of the Year?

• Ayumu Goromaru (Japan v SA)

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Fetu'u Vainikolo (Tonga v USA)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Julian Savea I (ABs v France)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julian Savea II (ABs v France)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Justin Tipuric (Wales v Ireland)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Vincent Debaty (France v England)

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Six pretty amazing tries:

1. Ayumu Goromaru (Japan v SA)
2. Fetu'u Vainikolo (Tonga v USA)
3. Julian Savea I (ABs v France)
4. Julian Savea II (ABs v France)
5. Justin Tipuric (Wales v Ireland)
6. Vincent Debaty (France v England)

Who is your pick?

For me I think it has to come from (1) Goromaru or (4) Julian Savea. The first is pure class from pretty much half the Japanese team. Starting from a perfect lineout, then perfect execution by the Japanese backs. It is such a classy and perfectly executed try! The second is two pieces of pure individual brilliance, first by Ben Smith and then of course the Lomu-esque ball running from Juluan Savea + some good vission from Aaron Smith. I prefer the perfect execution by the Japanese though, so for me the award should go to (1) Ayumu Goromaru!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to watch again to decide but I do think #3 shouldn't even be on the list.

Need to watch again to decide but I do think #3 shouldn't even be on the list.

Yeah, its an intersting one. You have some fantastic examples of team tries and some amazing examples of individual brilliance. The difference between try 4 and tries 2 and 3 (all individual brilliance tries) is that the later are effectively just one mans skill while try 4 is obviously two fullahs. DC's set up was pretty amazing though - perhaps the best assist of 2015?? Maybe that's why it is in there!

Haha, just watched them again and laughed at try 6. Swing Low going on in the background but then abruptly ends :)

Last edited:
Savea 2nd try, not that French tried to tackle him with any conviction.. but it will become an iconic try if we go on to win.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Ben Smiths catch and the passing from Aaron Smith out to the backs.. beautiful stuff, it's the best try. The Japanese try a close 2nd.

Has to be 1 or 4.. I'd go for Goromaru, because of the team ambition and perfect skill and exectution involved, plus the occasion and what it meant.

I'm surprised that that Argentinian winger's try isn't on there, I think it was Cordero? The one where he spins out of the first tackle runs down the wing for half the pitch then steps the 15, vs Georgia I think. Would've been better than 3.

Imhoff's first against Ireland was better than 3 and 5 for me... 4 has to win it, it'll be a pretty iconic try if NZ win at the weekend.

The Savea - Lomu try or this:

That's a fantastic individual effort from Cordero! Almost criminal it isn't shortlisted but i suppose there are so many options a few good ones will miss out.

Out of the options my gut feel is the Lomu-esque try from Savea. Sure there are a few which involve more skill and I usually prefer coast to coast team efforts but for sheer uniqueness in brutality (not many- any?- other players will run through France like that) my vote has to go to Savea.

For interest's sake:

PREVIOUS WINNERS
2014 – Francois Hougaard (South Africa) – South Africa v New Zealand
2013 – Beauden Barrett (New Zealand) – New Zealand v France
2012 – Bryan Habana (South Africa) – South Africa v New Zealand
2011 – Radike Samo (Australia) – Australia v New Zealand
2010 – Chris Ashton (England) – England v Australia
2009 – Jaque Fourie (South Africa) – South Africa v British and Irish Lions
2008 – Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland) – Australia v Ireland
2007 – Takudzwa Ngwenya (USA) – South Africa v USA

If we look at the past winners a common theme is the opposition: vs NZ, vs Aus, vs SA, vs B&I Lions and vs France. The Goromaru try would be a repeat of Ngwenya's try vs SA expect with the added bonus of Japan actually beating SA. Certainly the occasion and skill involved would make it a worthy winner if it were to go on to take it.

Definitely Goromaru with the Tongan one a close second. Savea II is pretty good I think but definitely not try of the year. Really really struggling to see whats so good about Savea I... Nice offload but cmon, is that it? Really?

A beautiful high ball take, great step before Savea bumps three defenders to score. Don't see the big deal aye...

Any player in the world scores that try 10/10.

Definitely should go to someone else. Saw a sweet try in Tunisia v Kenya - pretty obvious try of the year tbh.

In case you forget

bHd01pG.gif

A beautiful high ball take, great step before Savea bumps three defenders to score. Don't see the big deal aye...

Definitely should go to someone else. Saw a sweet try in Tunisia v Kenya - pretty obvious try of the year tbh.

I think people are saying there are just a lot better tries that have been scored. I was at the game and bouncing 3 players fair enough but the quality of the French defence there and throughout the game was terrible.

I think people are saying there are just a lot better tries that have been scored. I was at the game and bouncing 3 players fair enough but the quality of the French defence there and throughout the game was terrible.

Where as Vainikolo's try was against an impenetrable USA defense.

That's bs if I'm honest. Jonah Lomu's try in 1995 goes down as one of the best of all time - not because Mike Catt was a defensive juggernaut - but because beating 3 players down the sideline and running over 1 - is impressive.

If we want to talk sense of occasion - doing it against France in a QF in Cardiff is about as big as they come. I feel there is an effort here not to give credit where it is due. If it was a Japan winger scoring Savea's try it would get the popular vote hands down.

Okay Goromaru (Japan v SA), Savea II (ABs v France) & Tipuric (Wales v Ireland) aside. I'm not convinced any of the others are better than this one 20+ phases (I think this started from about the half-way line if memory serves me correctly) plus individual brilliance at the end.

Where as Vainikolo's try was against an impenetrable USA defense.

That's bs if I'm honest. Jonah Lomu's try in 1995 goes down as one of the best of all time - not because Mike Catt was a defensive juggernaut - but because beating 3 players down the sideline and running over 1 - is impressive.

If we want to talk sense of occasion - doing it against France in a QF in Cardiff is about as big as they come. I feel there is an effort here not to give credit where it is due. If it was a Japan winger scoring Savea's try it would get the popular vote hands down.

That's fine, it is just in no way try of the year and you know it. The Lomu try is neither here nor there, it was an iconic moment in Rugby because someone of his physical stature and power had never existed in the game. Now every second player is the size of Lomu.

Can't understand why nobody has voted for Debaty's try, length of the pitch try, several pairs of hands with a prop on the end, that was some run from a prop.

- - - Updated - - -

Stupidly I went straight for Tips try and then voted for it, but having just watched them all again it has to be Debaty, for the reasons I stated above.

This

- - - Updated - - -

The Ben Smith and Aaron Smith passage of play is what puts it above the rest. If Aussie scored that people would be raving and ranting, yet we have bozo's like you down playing it like it was simple stuff on Sunday league and you wonder why I give a lot of you sh*t.

Latest posts