Is 36 too old to start playing prop?

BaaBaa

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
First time poster, long time lurker....

I'm 36 and after a 15 year lay-off (kids, family, work etc) I've started back at my local rugby side. I used to play centre but the youngsters there are giving me the run around.

It was suggested that I should play LH prop (I'm 16st 12lb) as the new scrummaging laws should help me. However, after six training sessions my body is in bits (currently nursing bruised ribs). Does it get easier or should I stick to being a 36 year old waterboy?

Apologies if this has been asked before...

Cheers in advance.

I don't want to say its a good idea or not as I don't know your exact situation but I also started playing again 2 years ago and stopped after 5 games.. in pieces. I was 30 at the time. I made the switch from wing to lock though which was a huge shift and something I wasn't ready for. SA club rugby is also hard as all hell and excessively... nasty at the lower levels where I started out again. After 5 games, 1 broken tooth, a broken arm and hairline fracture in my foot I decided (or rather the wife decided) that that was fun but quite enough, thank you.

Good luck!

Cheers for the reply.

I'm well off the pace and pretty much learning a whole new position but my neck, feet and now ribs have taken a pounding. It's not so much of a problem during training but afterwards I've got my pregnant wife getting me out of bed!

I was hoping someone would come on and say "it'll get easier" but I've a feeling that may not be the case. Welsh rugby at lower level is also physical, cheap-shots etc.

Maybe I'll stick to being waterboy.....

Moving from being used to a back position to the tight five after long lay-off... Well, I'd consider you a harder man than me if you continued, actually I'd be in total awe of you. Easier said than done though.

If you were always prop, yes, you should have no problems, and is a position in which one plays better passing 30 years, with more experience. But in your case, if you never played in that position is a bit more complicated.

It's a very complicated position, remember that professional rugby not everyone can be prop, if a team runs out of props in the scrum is not pushed, a back can't be a prop from one day to the other.

It's a difficult position, you must learn the secrets of the position, is very different play forward or back, even prop is a very specific position with particular characteristics.

Regards

Well, instinctively I'd say that there are people who manage to play the game into their 50s, some playing considerably later - so you may want to look at playing some of the more casual grades for some of the older guys. In New Zealand there is grades for some of the old timers' with golden oldie scrums (which should save your neck pains considerably). We have grades for former players who just want to play rugbyI know little about clubs in Wales, but surely there is a grade for guys who want to play some casual rugby without hard weekly trainings?

Ultimately I guess its what your body feels up to though. I'd look at having a go at a casual old timers grade if there is on avalible, and then make a decision.

Never too late. I still play the guitar, walk around places, breathe oxygen and talk to people and I'm like 27. It's all in your head....in your head. Zombie.

Latest posts