• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

is phil kearns the biggest homer?

I do like the NZ commentators - so far they do seem the least biased, but maybe that's because NZ sits on top of the rugby world. I wonder if they'll become more whiney if their teams start slipping down the table.

I like Nesbo...Nesbitt? Not sure how to spell his name. And, of course, Justin Marshall, although he's been disappointingly quiet so far this season, as if he's been told not to talk so much. I love his input because he's quite funny, and humour among the commentators does sometimes make a game (especially boring ones).

And getting back to Kearns - as I said earlier in this thread he does crack me up. Sure, maybe he's biased, but what's the difference between him and any other passionate fan? Okay...he's a commentator, but I'm smart enough to tell when he's full of it, and when he's not.

das

If you've ever seen Channel 9's coverage of the cricket from back in the 80's/90's or listened to the 12 man, you'll understand the friendly rivalry between the late Tony Grieg and Bill Lawry. Grieg a South African who captained England and Lawry who wore his heart on his sleeve for Victoria and Australia.

Kearns being from NSW and Martin being from QLD have tried to emulate Grieg and Lawry. You can probably relate to this more if you are from NSW or QLD, but as an outsider, it's hard to put it into context and you start thinking what are these fools talking about? they're just idiots.

The bias is intended to engage viewers from NSW and QLD where rugby is most popular in Australia, however this doesn't work in a global market which Rugby has become, other viewers cannot buy into the emotion of the commentary.

I find Greg Martin more annoying, he doesn't add much except the constant outbursts of "INSIDE BALL!", "QUADE COOOOOPAH!" and "ISRAEL FOLAU!"

On the other side of the coin, Gordon Bray has been known to call a few tests in his time. he's unbiased, statistically accurate and throws a few historical facts into his commentary. very knowledgeable and entertaining but not part of the FoxSports commentary team, you have to wonder why?

And getting back to Kearns - as I said earlier in this thread he does crack me up. Sure, maybe he's biased, but what's the difference between him and any other passionate fan? Okay...he's a commentator, but I'm smart enough to tell when he's full of it, and when he's not.

I agree, he is at times humorous, and it's his most winning quality. The thing that really bugs me about him though is not so much his bias, but the way he often labours on the negative and seeks to criticise. Sure, sometimes its warranted, but it seems to be his only mode. If a commentator is not showing any joy or appreciation for the game, this has a negative influence on the audience watching.

If you've ever seen Channel 9's coverage of the cricket from back in the 80's/90's or listened to the 12 man, you'll understand the friendly rivalry between the late Tony Grieg and Bill Lawry. Grieg a South African who captained England and Lawry who wore his heart on his sleeve for Victoria and Australia.

Kearns being from NSW and Martin being from QLD have tried to emulate Grieg and Lawry. You can probably relate to this more if you are from NSW or QLD, but as an outsider, it's hard to put it into context and you start thinking what are these fools talking about? they're just idiots.

I'm a QLD'er who has watched a lot of cricket and gotta say, I totally missed this. Not to say they don't try and do that, but if they do - it's not working too well!

I also wonder how they chose those guys to be part of the commentary team, and if one could ever get the sack? (of course if they said something inappropriate on air they might, but other than that...)

The cricket commentary could go the same way. Some of the Big Bash commentators were far superior to the channel 9 team...

Latest posts