• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

is phil kearns the biggest homer?

loosehead3

Academy Player
i get the super 15 games here in the states on direct tv it`s great we get all the games commercial free and i just dvr them all.i think phil kearns is the biggest homer followed closely by greg martin they drive me crazy.no other announcers are so one sided.just my 2 cent`s

Tried to interpret this thread. From what I gather, you are asking people whether they dislike Phil Kearns and Greg Martin?

Yes. They are the two most annoying, one sided, over-opinionated, sorry excuses for commentators that I've ever had the mispleasure to listen to. They are so bias that it can ruin a game for me. Had to listen to them in two consecutive matches last weekend and it made me furious. The terrible thing is, there is one or two Aussie commentators who actually know what they are talking about and can call a game reasonably well, but their always linked with one of those two and it makes the entire team look bad.

I think what he means by 'homer' is being overly biased, whearing yellow (sorry Aussies, but it is yellow :p) and green-tinted glasses.

And yes, most people don't like most Aussie commentators either.

i get the wild feed so i get to see and hear the behind the scene stuff that goes on during the breaks.they are homers for sure

i get the wild feed so i get to see and hear the behind the scene stuff that goes on during the breaks.they are homers for sure
Yeah, I like hearing the 'off the record' comments. Waiting for one to slip up...

He may have been half decent when he played, but Kears should have bought himself a pub or a butchers shop where he could **** on about rugby - a sport it seems he knows little about - instead of inflicting himself on us.

He makes Murray Mexted look like an erudite wordsmith by comparison.

I enjoy the South African refs dry, un-exciting, un-interesting, un-biased way of commentating. I also enjoy it when we have a test against Wales and we get the Welsh commentators with a thick accent who speak very quickly and are quite hard to understand... no really that is exactly what I want at 4am in the morning -_-

Aussie rugby (and cricket) commentators all seem to be a one eyed, opinionated, know-alls. (Just like the refs in fact.) :D

I don't know if the citing commisioners at the games see the same coverage as we do, but from the way in which Kearns &co behave at times it is obvious that they are trying to draw maximum attention to any misdemeanour by a visiting team in the hope of getting a player punished. They must be sorry that Bakkies is no longer around. ;)

SA commentators do seem to be more in the Bill McLaren mode; even-handed and unexcitable.
I wish Sky would provide a sound track option where we could hear everything from the ground apart from the commentators.

Last edited:
Must say the commentary team of Clark, Canon and Horan today in the Stormers vs. Force was good, no complaints

LOL...I love Kearnsey...but mostly because he makes some of the most hilarious comments about non-play-related things, like someone's hairdo, or the occasional full-on-the-lips rugby kiss. He's good comic relief. I also appreciate an openly biased commentator because you get the best extreme reactions out of them, and that is amusing in and of itself. I know enough to read between the lines and make my own assessment of the play, so a bit of bias never bugs me.

Also, I adore Justin Marshall. I loved him as a belly-flopping scrum half, and now I'm enjoying his commentary and the way he explains the plays (which, since I'm still a relative noob to the game, helps me understand some things that once went over my head), and his sense of humor. The fact that everything he says sounds like the only vowel in his vocabulary is a looooong 'E' was hard for my American ears to take at first, but now I'm used to it, and always look forward to what he has to say.

das

LOL...I love Kearnsey...but mostly because he makes some of the most hilarious comments about non-play-related things, like someone's hairdo, or the occasional full-on-the-lips rugby kiss. He's good comic relief. I also appreciate an openly biased commentator because you get the best extreme reactions out of them, and that is amusing in and of itself. I know enough to read between the lines and make my own assessment of the play, so a bit of bias never bugs me.

I agree, Kearnsy's a legend and great craic to listen too. I don't take the Aussie commentators seriously at all, they're just a laugh and it's great to hear them laugh at front-rowers wearing brightly coloured boots or Nick Cummins's hairdo.

And does anyone else remember the time Kearnsy (I think it was him anyway) was commentating on a match between one of the Aussie teams and the Stormers and he picked on Sireli Naqelevuki (who was having a pretty awful match) the whole game and couldn't understand what he was doing playing Super Rugby. He really took the **** outta him.

Justin Marshall an eejit though.

I enjoy listening to the aus commentators. They're always more entertaining despite the horrible bias from kearns and martin. Kafer is actually a great commentator when he shares he technical knowledge

Is Kafer the one who sounds like he is choking when he speaks?

I like the Kiwi commentators best - seem to have a real air of excitement and positivity, but also an excellent interpretation of the game and good sense of humour. One of the commentators (not sure the name) is bias towards the hurricanes, but it doesn't ruin it for me.

I don't mind the SA commentators - seem fairly reasonable and even handed.

I enjoy that the Aussie commentators too have humour, but their interpretation is real hit and miss. Sharpey and Kafer are excellent. Clark is also decent. Kearns and Martin are torturous.

Considering there is much talk that Australia will be attempting to negotiate a free-to-air television deal for future SR, I really hope they review their current commentary team, because the quality and personality of the commentators can have a large influence on the audience.

Latest posts