• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Scotland's Inability to score tries down to Robinson or the players?

Russdog

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Lions
Most people blame the players. However England were the same under Robinson, and the Scottish clubs have no problem scoring, so could the fault be Robinson's coaching.

Well the players he had been picking weren't exactly try machines this weekends team should be better mainly because off Hogg. A lot of it was down to the players but Robinson must shoulder much of the responsibility.

The issue stretches back much further than Robinson...

And I'd argue that Glasgow aren't very flash or well endowed in the scoring department either.

So Robinson has two clubs, one with a rightish defence winning ugly, the other with a loose game conceding often and with the benefit of Talei and Visser.

Hard to know. However it's important to remember that a coaching team isn't made up of one man, Townsend should possibly come into this aswell. I think Robinson has alot to answer for continually picking Parks at 10, but other than that, I see it as being a problem with the players. Scotland haven't got the most flamboyant of players at their disposal, and that's made a little worse when one of the decent runners, Lamont is needed as a chrash-ball centre. Scotland have been producing plenty of try-scoring chances, but the players are bottling it at the cruicial time.

I don't think there's a correct answer to this, but more likely a combination of 3 or 4 things. 1. Coaches, specifically Townsend who's the attack coach. 2. Lack of creative players to begin with. 3. Poor excecution. 4. Confidence.

I wouldn't say an 'Inability' because they have shown against Wales that they can, especially through that disallowed try - which should have been a try perhaps one of the best tries for a long time in fact. (Wales would have still won, before anyone suggests otherwise). I think it's down to the players though, they lack confidence, my thoughts are they panick when in space which can be normal, and this makes them make a hash of it. If they simply sorted this out, they would be up there for the 6N each year, and beyond.

As for saying it's due to Robinson, because England were the same, i disagree. England are not made of the most talented, and flashy of players so again its down to those previous players not Robinson. I hope i don't speak to soon, but follow Wales' coach example, everyone wanted him out 12 months ago due to poor results, pretty much the same as with Scotland now. However faith (I hope) will result in some success for years to come, although we have not won anything yet and it's going to be one hell of a game tonight or this afternoon your time.

Scotland just need some luck. That is all.

Last edited:
Yeah all the fluffed clear try scoring opportunities have been the players fault.

Never really liked Robinson (particularly during the 2001 lions tour) but feel it would be a mistake for the scots to jettison him now. Scotland do a lot of things well and just need a few attacking moves to click and they'll be a more than decent test team.

Thinking about having a sneaky vbet on them for tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can't give you any more advice bushytop than- don't! :lol:

As someone who's seen just about every game we've played since the start of the Hadden era, I can categorically say that it's the players fault. (Check out our game-winning lineup against France at Murrayfield, it's baffling we got victory that day- unless the current lot are underperforming.) Robinson's culpability lies in whether or not he can possibly get more than we've seen out of them. My answer is no. We had it in our grasp to beat Argentina and England at the WC and Wales and England in the 6 Nations. Simple answer, we messed every opportunity up (despite "winning" statistics) or bottled the chances outright. You only need to look at the frustration on Robbo's face during every match to see what the story is.

I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for me!

I'd be inclined to place more of the blame of Gergor Townsend. He's the backs coach, it's his responsibility to get them working.

Robinson puts out teams with good basics. Before the world cup Scotland looked alot better than Ireland in scrum and lineout. Once you gain dominance with those basics it's just a matter of time before the backs cut through. But time doesn't seem to work for Scotland.

I suppose England have a similar problem, but every once in a while Foden or Ashton or now Farrell pops up and gives them hope.

So maybe it's down to the fact Scotland simply haven't come up with a genius attacker for ... 20 years! I don't buy that. There are good players in the backline, not far removed from what Ireland or Wales have to offer - certainly in defence.

Bit of a mystery.

I would normally agree with all of you that it is mostly the players but England went through a similar period under Robinson where they struggled to score tries and I wondered whether there could be something lacking in Robinson's coaching

Seemed to do ok today scoring two tries. Seeing as the coach is the same, it's therefore down to the players.

Still want Townsend to go though, just because we now have one or two attack minded players playing well that his ineptitude for the last three/ four years shouldn't go unpunished.

Those tries were down to ineffeciemt tackles and opportunism- not anything planned.

After todays game its pretty clear that there is a good game plan in place. Especially in the forwards. The backs can look a bit clueless at times probably because of Townsend. But as more of the exciting youngsters like Scott, Visser, Weir are blooded hopefully that will change.
The main problem seems to be support play when a player makes a break. I don't know what it is, possibly fitness? In order for Scotland to be a top side they need their outside backs to support the carrier, thats one of the most important jobs of a winger.

just so you know we have now scored twice as many tries as england laidlaw,hogg,jones and gray compared to englands two charge downs from hodgson

just so you know we have now scored twice as many tries as england laidlaw,hogg,jones and gray compared to englands two charge downs from hodgson

Good point.

Its looking like it was the previous backs inablility rather than the coaching. The new breed of Scottish backs look to have that extra little bit of talent that allows them to get the tries

I think it's a combination of coaching and players. There is obviously selection issues as well, but it's not the coach that knocks the ball on or fails to pass to hand. Neither is it the coaches who fail to support the player who makes the break. Wales, Ireland are particularly good in support and the reason they have regularly scored tries... even on the occasions that they lose.

Good point.

Its looking like it was the previous backs inablility rather than the coaching. The new breed of Scottish backs look to have that extra little bit of talent that allows them to get the tries

but now we seem to have forgot how to defend!

Latest posts