• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

Miles lower... and actually studies shown its not linked, I think the reason its blown up in people are scared of what they don't understand, and as such this vaccine does scare them especially with all the misinformation. I had AZ and typically been shown to have sightly more cold like side effect's for a couple of days, that's it
Yeah its madness what happening with AZ most medical people are genuinely baffled by the decisions being made. It smells far more of supply issues where AZ have oversold what that can make so governments are using it as decent excuse to divvy up the vaccines they have making sure those who already had AZ get it as their second shot.

The content producer for this video deserves a thumb up well made and builds hype towards the Lions series.

It appears the 2021 Lions tour to South Africa is not doomed after all.

How bad is it in South Africa? All the players on both sides will be vaccinated.

Still plenty of time away so (these guys) shouldn't jeopardize the tests, but shows that's it's a very real possibility

Still plenty of time away so (these guys) shouldn't jeopardize the tests, but shows that's it's a very real possibility

I assume that if the Lions have actually flown to South Africa then it it really too late to cancel. Also the first game isn't for over 3 weeks so still time to sort it in the Bok Squad

EDIT: the 3 players are Vincent Koch, Sbu Nkosi and Herschel Jantjies. i would argue that they could be cut from the squad as the Boks have cover.

Last edited:
What's changed since, say, Friday that means that they're only now able to explode contingency plans? If there isn't already a plan in place for what to do if members of the SA squad test positive, it would be a good idea to replace those who were responsible for the planning up until now. Matt Hancock must have some free time and and has relevant experience.

Please dont believe these UK based reports it's just fearmongering. Everything is going ahead as planned. No moving to Cape Town and provincial games going ahead. This surge in covid cases would have been anticipated. No one is surprised. The government has confirmed the tour goes ahead despite the ban on public gatherings announced last night . i find the UK reports very funny.

What all of a sudden we are so suprised that covid spiked in SA. Now we react by cancelling all the provincial games and moving all tests out of Joburg to Cape Town. Yeah im sure the planners would not have thought about this possibility...

Please dont believe these UK based reports it's just fearmongering. Everything is going ahead as planned. No moving to Cape Town and provincial games going ahead. This surge in covid cases would have been anticipated. No one is surprised. The government has confirmed the tour goes ahead despite the ban on public gatherings announced last night . i find the UK reports very funny.

What all of a sudden we are so suprised that covid spiked in SA. Now we react by cancelling all the provincial games and moving all tests out of Joburg to Cape Town. Yeah im sure the planners would not have thought about this possibility...
A month or two back you were guys were telling us you'd be having a world beating vaccine rollout....

Screenshot_20210628_134752.jpg

The Guardian reporting Jantjies is a flyhalf Clearly not very aware of the bigger picture here.

Not you specifically, going back on posts your the level headed one saying it wasn't going to happen. Others were though.

I'm not reading much into this either its early days yet, this said considering the cock up with the Cricket I'm not holding by breath sufficient protocols won't be put in place that don't jeopardise the Tests at some point. Britain has been doing fairly well in regards to holding international sport and we still cocked it up in the Euro's (scottish player somehow got COVID, 2 English guys had to isolate for reasons I can't quite work out cause the Scottish team didn't).

Yea so Rassie is saying we are anticipating players to actually get covid at some point in time. Even in our bubble and even despite our best efforts. Its bound to happen. But that we chose a squad of 45 players for this reason and we can field a completely different squad if needs be.

Professional sports get government approval with Lions set for SA tour https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...-approval-with-lions-set-for-sa-tour-20210628

In the above link, Rassie explains the contingency measures a bit. Not just the extra players but also the possibility of drafting in players from the provinces if needs be. Lets hope this is not needed.

Last edited:
Yea so Rassie is saying we are anticipating players to actually get covid at some point in time. Even in our bubble and even despite our best efforts. Its bound to happen. But that we chose a squad of 45 players for this reason and we can field a completely different squad if needs be. Will link his statement soon.
Maybe he's being made to look a fool by the committee men using him as a mouthpiece, but how can someone working in high performance sport not understand what a genuinely bio-secure bubble is? The situation as it stands would be unbelievable if it wasn't for the fact that anyone with any experience of rugby administrators could see a lash up coming a mile off. We now have the Lions flying to the epicentre of their hosts' covid problem, to play a team that had to drop out of the previous competition that they entered because of covid before they are unnecessarily forced to travel thousands of miles to maximise their chance of an outbreak within their camp.

Maybe he's being made to look a fool by the committee men using him as a mouthpiece, but how can someone working in high performance sport not understand what a genuinely bio-secure bubble is? The situation as it stands would be unbelievable if it wasn't for the fact that anyone with any experience of rugby administrators could see a lash up coming a mile off. We now have the Lions flying to the epicentre of their hosts' covid problem, to play a team that had to drop out of the previous competition that they entered because of covid before they are unnecessarily forced to travel thousands of miles to maximise their chance of an outbreak within their camp.
Maybe i am misquoting him by saying he is anticipating the bio bubble to be broken. It should rather be that he is saying that if it does get broken, then we have a multi layered plan. First draw from the bubble and then only if we cant then we draw outside the squad if needs be.

Latest posts