• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

The guys that was sitting behind us asked us where they can go to meet the local females. And at that time my brother was still in Uni, so he called his girl-friends to find out where they were hanging out, which happened to be the Hatfield Square (which doesn't exist anymore).

After the game they came with us to the square, but insisted in them paying for our drinks, (because it's soooo cheap here).

We had a lot of fun with those guys that night. Most of them were from Scotland.

On another note, SARU has announced that they will be presenting the government with their plans to have fans in the stands this week. And depending on the outcome of that meeting, a decision will be made on whether or not the tour will take place behind closed doors.
I mean credit to you guys for not sending them the complete wrong direction, it's something I have enjoyed doing to many an American on my travels (personal fave was sending college kids to an absyntherie in Prague, they lasted 1 round of drinks)

This is good news, lets hope there's even 25% attendance. Im a baseball fan, and have to say even at 25% attendance in my teams stadium, the difference is massive!

ST reporting Lions will be based in Cape Town and Jo'berg. Teams will come to those to two places to play the Lions. 3 tests and no fourth. 1st test in Cape Town and the last two in Jo'berg.

ST reporting Lions will be based in Cape Town and Jo'berg. Teams will come to those to two places to play the Lions. 3 tests and no fourth. 1st test in Cape Town and the last two in Jo'berg.

This has also been in the news this side of the pond. But nothing is finalized yet, and SA Rugby and the B&I Lions organisers are still in discussions about the tour and it's itenerary.

I have no problem with it being in those 2 cities, as it's where most of the games would have been played anyway. It's just the warm-up games that would have been at other stadiums.

My thinking is that if they keep it at these stadiums, there is a plan to get these stadiums geared to have fans in the stands, while also protecting the players and staff.

This has also been in the news this side of the pond. But nothing is finalized yet, and SA Rugby and the B&I Lions organisers are still in discussions about the tour and it's itenerary.

I have no problem with it being in those 2 cities, as it's where most of the games would have been played anyway. It's just the warm-up games that would have been at other stadiums.

My thinking is that if they keep it at these stadiums, there is a plan to get these stadiums geared to have fans in the stands, while also protecting the players and staff.

Yeh it's not going to be a proper Lions tour where they are are going to travel around unfortunately.

Whether fans will be restricted and spaced out/shown they have tested negative. But doubt any Lions fans, unless they are ex Pats.

No travelling fans,
Two tests at Soccer City so the reduced capacity doesn't decimate ticket sales as much

No travelling fans,
Two tests at Soccer City so the reduced capacity doesn't decimate ticket sales as much
I would have rather just not bothered with this tour. It should have been cancelled. It's just taking away the very essence of the event.

No travelling fans,
No real surprise.

i wonder how many ex pats living out in SA will go and make up BIL fans numbers.

I would have rather just not bothered with this tour. It should have been cancelled. It's just taking away the very essence of the event.

I'm of the same opinion tbh - I get why they're so keen to have it go ahead, but I will be amazed if there aren't further disruptions

Joburg is at altitude isn't it? i always forget

If so, the lion have to travel, and play at altitude and not have the travelling support, something that was always amazing to see and im sure spurred on the team, not a great result is it

So now we're not even getting a documentary because the blazers want to line their fat ******* pockets too much

So now we're not even getting a documentary because the blazers want to line their fat ******* pockets too much
Thats a disgrace, its such a great thing to watch for new fans of the sport. Travesty really

also pretty disappointing as this will be such a different experience

Well, at least the Boks will have 2 warm-up games before the Lions:

It means Jacques Nienaber will make his debut as Springbok head coach on the weekend of 2/3 July, with the second clash set for one week later on the weekend of 9/10 July. SA Rugby will confirm the exact dates, venues and kick-off times in due course.

Yay we can watch combined might of Britain and Ireland lose to Japan.

Wonder if EJ will coach them for the shits and giggles.

Kidding aside this is a good thing.

Does anyone remember what coverage C4 had of the 1993 tour? I was a rugby mad 13 year old in 1993, so had always assumed that the reason I don't remember anything about the tour is that it was on Sky.

Losing the invitational is disappointing - always find those kinda mish-mash games more fun

Sounds like there'll be no fans in attendance, which is a shame but expected

Latest posts