• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the PS3 hotting up?

S

St Helens RLFC

Not many exclusives on the ***le, but some of the games coming out for PS3 look hot. Is the PS3 slowly crawling its way back into the market in time for the crucial festive period or is the lack of exclusiveness going to cost it?

The only hope for the PS3 to get anywhere near the sucess of PS2, apart from a massive price drop which would financally cripple Sony, is soley resting on Metal Gear Solid 4 - Not a good start when nobody seems to care about stealth games anymore.

PS3 will suffer against the 360 the same way both the Saturn and Dreamcast suffered against the PS1; While a much more capible machine, it will be hindered as developers will be looking for multi-format, therefore the slower of the machines need to be able to run the game and all the extra processing power will be put to waste.

Combine that with the waste of time <strike>Second Life rip-off</strike> "Home" interface for the online system and Sony insistant that any decent content for anything like GT5 will cost the player extra for downloads (effectively forcing out the second hand market and banishing youngster s from getting the best out of their games), I genuinely believe Sony have shot themselves in the foot.

Plus Blue-ray is a load of ********, just like the Mini-Disk.

Plus Blue-ray is a load of ********, just like the Mini-Disk. [/b]

And it's long lost cousin, The Sony Betamax...
Betamax.jpg

lol, I still had my Betamax until last year! :lol:

My long loved toploading transformer!!!

Soundblaster.jpg

Fighting talk that Mite..... especially seeing as Sony are whipping everyone's arse at E3 as we speak!

I am always looking for PC stuff....

anyway Sony has just dropped their price in the states by 100 bucks, now not much more than the price of the highest priced 360.

still not enough i say.

meh i just got on live

my life has changed forever

until sony's online abilities are up to scratch i aint going there

u need a community - $1000.00 per ps3 hinders the communnities ability to grow

Xboxlive meanwhile is a deadset blast

ps3 is going to need something really good to get back into the race. xbox 360 has the huge advantage of being out first having online that people use and some decent games. the wii also isn't doing too badly against the ps3 either and with the offical announcement of mario kart wii have a ***le that people will buy a wii for. at the moment the ps3 really isn't much more than a blue-ray player and down under that means a $1000 dollar blue-ray player.
it's not hard especially for us down under which console to get at the moment, the $1000 blue-ray player or the xbox360 online gaming machine that plays dvds music as well. the wii is also an option for those with lots of friends and yonger siblings. sony have simply blown it by being last to release,having almost zero games and crappy online service and down under by pricing themselves out of the market.

ps3 is going to need something really good to get back into the race. xbox 360 has the huge advantage of being out first having online that people use and some decent games. the wii also isn't doing too badly against the ps3 either and with the offical announcement of mario kart wii have a ***le that people will buy a wii for. at the moment the ps3 really isn't much more than a blue-ray player and down under that means a $1000 dollar blue-ray player.
it's not hard especially for us down under which console to get at the moment, the $1000 blue-ray player or the xbox360 online gaming machine that plays dvds music as well. the wii is also an option for those with lots of friends and yonger siblings. sony have simply blown it by being last to release,having almost zero games and crappy online service and down under by pricing themselves out of the market. [/b]

yeah, but i think once the marquee games like FIFA and GTA come out, PS3 will make a comeback.. i certainly will be buying a PS3 once there are enough games to make it worth it.. But i am just loyal to PS... i have a PS1 and 2, and i still play heaps of those games..

I am fairly shitty about all the online stuff tho.. im way too poor to be paying for a $120 game then paying more for online content.. bugger that...

yeah, but i think once the marquee games like FIFA and GTA come out, PS3 will make a comeback..

[/b]

As I said before, it whon't make that much difference compared to the PS2 with those ***les though as M$ have secured the ***les on their machine.

Sony really have dropped the ball 5m out. Which is a pitty as the PS3 is a natty piece of kit, it's just way too expensive for something that'll never really outperform the 360.

I was talking to a buyer at the large retailer that I work for and he has told me that just after xmas is going to see some major price movement with the PS3. I tried to push for more details but he clammed up.

In Aussieland the PS3 is selling just under the AUD1,000 tag and I would expect that to drop by about AUD150 leading up to xmas.

After xmas I think probably a 15-20% drop on the new price isn't too far from unrealistic.

So by my rough calculations it would be around the AUD700 mark - maybe more if they bundle more stuff with it.

I think that that is a pretty good price given that there will be more games out by that stage.

The PS3 is teetering on a knife edge right now. And I'm not so sure that a price cut will save it considering that it's leaking 3rd party support...development costs for the PS3 are still higher than the 360 and much more than the Wii not to mention the fact that it seems like a ***** to programme.

The 360 has an attractive price tag and a big library of good games plus developers have found how to programme it most efficiently. The Wii is easy to develop for and there are more and more good ideas coming out for it. There are plenty of killer apps on the way and a facility for small, independent studios to release games via download hence cutting their costs further.

With the current worldwide console sales (roughly), it's something like this:

1. Xbox 360 - ~11.5m
2. Wii - ~8m
3. PS3 ~3.5m

That's worrying for Sony. And unless they can slash development costs as well as boosting console sales they'll fade.

i am my own fanboy...i love myself

i will get a ps3 when the time is right, for my needs

at the moment - that isnt NOW.

could give a toss about who is better - the library for my preferable games depict that

ATM - the ps3 has nothing i want

am buying top spin tennis and R6V today and wireless X360 headset, maybe NBA homecourt

whoever gets next gen rugby - will have my money!!!!

Firstly - a warm welcome to the Zonerunner, a personal friend of mine who goes back over 15 years.

Secondly my cynical friend, you're not suggesting that my next gen console of choice is struggling with sales, are you? ;)

To be fair, that's accounting Amazon alone. PR are the least trustworthy people when it comes to facts (save politicians), but Sony themselves are claiming the sales have doubled. 200% is less than 3000% whatever way you look at it.

Besides, Sony have admitted that they wont be replacing the 60Gb stock and they expect it all to be gone in by the end of the month - in short, its less a price cut and more a clearance sale. As soon as all the 60Gb consoles are gone, you're left with the 80Gb choice alone once more. It will be interesting to see if the spike in sales continues when the price returns to its regular figure.

Matters little to us in Good Ol' Blighty - we didnt get the choice of a cheaper option.

Latest posts