• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Israel Dagg retires at 30

Indeed. That is a shame.

TBH, I had never realised he was that young. The balding head probably threw me off, but I thought he was well in to his 30s.

He should have a go at taking up his other sporting love... cricket! 30 is not too late.

In his time before rugby at Lindisfarne College, he was a right arm quick; won a national fast-bowling competition with a radar-clocked speed of 143 kph. From all accounts, he was a pretty handy middle order batsman as well.

Thirty is not too late.... Ryan Harris, Michael Hussey & Chris Rogers (Aus) and Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) all had their test debuts in their 30s

He should have a go at taking up his other sporting love... cricket! 30 is not too late.

In his time before rugby at Lindisfarne College, he was a right arm quick; won a national fast-bowling competition with a radar-clocked speed of 143 kph. From all accounts, he was a pretty handy middle order batsman as well.

Thirty is not too late.... Ryan Harris, Michael Hussey & Chris Rogers (Aus) and Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) all had their test debuts in their 30s

Indeed, If Jeff Wilson can do it then so can Dagg.

yeah he's a great cricket player, he was pretty much man of the match at the recent Rugby vs Cricket charity match they played.
But he's retiring because of a knee injury on advice from doctor(s). neither bowling or batting is great for knees in cricket.
I would have thought that if there was any chance he could play his best bet would be to take a year off to rehabilitate the knee then play a couple of seasons in Japan before retirement. He is very young when you consider how well Nonu is playing at 36. But you play hat long you need to stay clear of two things. Head knocks and knee blowouts. Prob helps that Nonu's head and neck and thick as a corner post.

Such a great player, for me 2010 was his golden year. he had many great moments through his career but in 2010 he had an epic game in SA vs the Bulls scoring 3 trys in a virtuoso display that IMO is one of if not the best individual performance by a player in super rugby. I think that was also the year he scored that mind blowing individual try against the boks where he ran through ~5 players to the corner and he scored the "HE'S GOT DAGG" try from a Nonu break that won a test match in the 80th min against the boks which I think was John Smit's 100th? I think 2010 was also the year he took over goal kicking for the highlanders and kicked over 80% Such a good kicker it was a shame he shyed away from goal kicking.

Latest posts