• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italian Rugby

A question for the Italians in this thread.

What were your impressions of Nick Mallett during his reign coaching Italy ?

A coach who puts Mauro Bergamasco at 9 in a 6N match at Twickenham against England does not deserve a comment

A coach who puts Mauro Bergamasco at 9 in a 6N match at Twickenham against England does not deserve a comment 
what was his actual reason for putting him at 9 ?, I would had rather had an Amateur Scrum-half over him

EDIT: You's can have Scott Johnston if you like ;)

Last edited:

I was a big fan of Nick Mallett,above all before he came to coach Italy,but after he used Mauro Bergamasco who is a flanker at scrum half I lost every faith in him

what was his actual reason for putting him at 9 ?, I would had rather had an Amateur Scrum-half over him

We had a few scrum halves injured, but I remember there was Toniolatti able to play..instead of playing him, he chose to try with Bergamasco..result? After 40 minutes of terrible passengers and kicking, Toniolatti came on as a replacement..

Well, we really must give him credit for setting up our defensive game for international level. Before him we just weren't good enough on defending and in fact, if you look at scoreboards before Mallett, you'll see a lot of huge gaps defeats.
After him, more ore less, we kept this team skill.

Anyway he's not and he was not very loved by us, specially because in an interview he proposed to go and get back in Italy some young South Africans players in order to let them became eligible for Azzurri because "Italiani no buoni per rugby" which basically means Italians are not good for rugby.
Which you, as Mallet, could perfectly think but you cannot say that as a National team coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Scotty :)

Easy answer, in some strange way........
Basically what Mallett wanted to do is giving us a defense and what's better to put a flanker at 9 to get that? :cool: It was really like this.
The result of this crazy plan was that our youngster and very promising flyhalf Andrea Marcato (which you Scottish should well remember for a last second winning drop in Rome :D) was smashed off by english players when trying to receive some hospital-pass from Bergamasco.
Marcato went out for concussion and we have never seen him again with Azzurri jersey on.

BTW I was at Twickenham that day, my first 6N away match...

- - - Updated - - -

As a scot i know how you feel, Since Andy Robinson Left we too had problems getting to know our coach even though i hope it stick With Vern.

Anyway, i dont really know who would you like as coach ?, i dont know who'd be good for the Job atm, no one in the pro 12, The Italian Teams aren't doing too well atm, maybe Fabio Ongaro ? or one the old Zebre managers i really dont know who will get the job after Brunel tbh

Casellato (Treviso) and Cavinato (Zebre) are good coaches, I just don't know if they're fit for the task. Not Ongaro for sure, he was acting as Zebre team manager last year, he left in September and I don't know what he's doing now. But he has no coaching experience and I think no chance to get the job.

Well, we really must give him credit for setting up our defensive game for international level. Before him we just weren't good enough on defending and in fact, if you look at scoreboards before Mallett, you'll see a lot of huge gaps defeats.
After him, more ore less, we kept this team skill.

Anyway he's not and he was not very loved by us, specially because in an interview he proposed to go and get back in Italy some young South Africans players in order to let them became eligible for Azzurri because "Italiani no buoni per rugby" which basically means Italians are not good for rugby.
Which you, as Mallet, could perfectly think but you cannot say that as a National team coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Scotty :)

Easy answer, in some strange way........
Basically what Mallett wanted to do is giving us a defense and what's better to put a flanker at 9 to get that? :cool: It was really like this.
The result of this crazy plan was that our youngster and very promising flyhalf Andrea Marcato (which you Scottish should well remember for a last second winning drop in Rome :D) was smashed off by english players when trying to receive some hospital-pass from Bergamasco.
Marcato went out for concussion and we have never seen him again with Azzurri jersey on.

BTW I was at Twickenham that day, my first 6N away match...

- - - Updated - - -

Casellato (Treviso) and Cavinato (Zebre) are good coaches, I just don't know if they're fit for the task. Not Ongaro for sure, he was acting as Zebre team manager last year, he left in September and I don't know what he's doing now. But he has no coaching experience and I think no chance to get the job.
The only thing about italy is that if scotland was able to come from a disaster into a good team then i'm sure italy are just as capable they just need a good coach. Like Scotland, Italy has plenty off young players with potential like Tommaso Allan (your very welcome btw), Leonardo Sarto (who i really rate and looking forward to watching more from him), Luca Morisi (never actually watched him but heard good things). Michele Campagnaro (who for me has alot off skill but just very quiet in games i don't often hear his name in a game especially the last six nations). Angelo Esposito (who to me have a halfpenny look and style of play about him wouldn't surprise me if Esposito can kick). But with the forward pack idk who will be capable in 5 or 7 years to play well and there is alot off other players in italy with potential i'm sure off it.

I think italy's Defence is still the main problem with the team they aren't the worst in attack in my opinion. I think Jake White would be a good coach for italy i know Ewan McKenzie is available but i don't think he would accept italy but you never know ;).

6th Round of Eccellenza:

IMA POL. LAZIO RUGBY 1927 â€" R. C. I CAVALIERI PRATO, 36 â€" 00 (5-0)
L’AQUILA RUGBY CLUB â€" MARCHIOL MOGLIANO, 09 â€" 38 (0-5)
LAFERT SAN DONA’ â€" FIAMME ORO RUGBY ROMA, 16 â€" 23 (1-4)
RUGBY VIADANA â€" FEMI-CZ RUGBY ROVIGO DELTA, 11 â€" 16 (1-4)
RUGBY PETRARCA PADOVA â€" CAMMI RUGBY CALVISANO, 15 â€" 16 (1-4)

Classifica: Cammi Rugby Calvisano punti 25; Femi Cz Rovigo delta punti 23; Marchiol Mogliano punti 22; Fiamme Oro Roma e Rugby Viadana punti 19; Ima Lazio Rugby punti 14; Lafert San Donà e Petrarca Rugby Padova punti 12; RC Cavalieri Prato e L’Aquila Rugby Club punti 0.

Easy wins for Lazio and Mogliano, while Fiamme Oro gain 4 points winning on the difficult ground of San Doná.
The champions Calvisano win with a last gasp try in Padova, the referee was harshly contested!
Rovigo win in Viadana quite easily!

here Andre8, do you know anywhere i can go to find the Eccellenza squads, cheers if you can!

Thank you for the help Andre,I'm very busy these days

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised, I expected more foreign players. Romanian Super Liga had more foreigners and who are often more experienced...

In Italy there is a limit for foreigner players use,while in Romanian Super Liga there isn't any kind of limit,that's why in Romanian championship there are more foreigner players than in Italy

In Italy there is a limit for foreigner players use,while in Romanian Super Liga there isn't any kind of limit,that's why in Romanian championship there are more foreigner players than in Italy
i thought it would actually have been because that the Super Liga has more money then the Eccellenza

There is a limit in the Super Liga : 10 foreigners per game, maximum 8 in the same time on the ground. I didn't knew this limit in Eccellenza, what is the limit?

i thought it would actually have been because that the Super Liga has more money then the Eccellenza
I also think it's about money, apart the top 3 teams from Eccellenza, most of foreign players haven't a great experience at international leveland/or in major championship

There is a limit in the Super Liga : 10 foreigners per game, maximum 8 in the same time on the ground. I didn't knew this limit in Eccellenza, what is the limit?

Some time ago former Timisoara coach Danie De Villiers said me that in Romanian league there isn't any limit for foreigner players,however in Italy you can use only 5 foreigner players per game

Some time ago former Timisoara coach Danie De Villiers said me that in Romanian league there isn't any limit for foreigner players,however in Italy you can use only 5 foreigner players per game

This limit was introduced this year ;) Thanks for the info !

Hey guys,

Do you know if any funding is coming into these Italian setups any time soon?

They need money to help improve the standard of the side badly. They actually did ok in parts. Certain facets of Treviso's game are actually quite good, but when they tire they are looking an open goal with no nous in defence and it's far too easy to score off them.

A good 10 and a combative backrow would go along way to helping that Treviso side.

Hey guys,

Do you know if any funding is coming into these Italian setups any time soon?

They need money to help improve the standard of the side badly. They actually did ok in parts. Certain facets of Treviso's game are actually quite good, but when they tire they are looking an open goal with no nous in defence and it's far too easy to score off them.

A good 10 and a combative backrow would go along way to helping that Treviso side.

With only two sides, i thought the whole purpose was to give Italians a good level? You do have to wonder what the point of staying in the pro 12 is? Literally everything has seemed to have stagnated or gone backwards. Less players coming through, less interest for domestic rugby, more or less the same international results, more money going in!

I think the 8 national academies the Federation has put in place is a good step forward. But they need to try and grow the domestic game to being interest. I'm not sure that staying in the pro 12 is the best in this regard.

Latest posts