• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italian teams in Magners League from 2010/2011 season

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Aye, would be a decent coup. Still I don't know if even the Italian national team would have an easy time in Thomond or the Rds without meaning to sound patronising.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jul 20 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aye, would be a decent coup. Still I don't know if even the Italian national team would have an easy time in Thomond or the Rds without meaning to sound patronising.[/b]

Well in fairness would any of the Italian National team's backs make an Ireland A team?

9. Murphy
10. Sexton (though he won't be A much longer)
11. Murphy
12. Bergomasco might fit in here? (ahead of Barry Murphy perhaps)
13 Sexton
14. Fionn Carr
15. Felix 'Super ****** off that he showed up when Rob Kearney is in the set up' Jones.

and considering Munster and Leinster are made up of Ireland, Ireland A and Big foriegn signings.

The pack however is another story altogether though their locks are getting old, I still think Parisse would make the difference.

and lets not forget the Ospreys which is a half(ish) of the Welsh team.

So I don't think it sounds patronising though I did notice that the Italian Super 10 seems to have a few decent backs that are going unnoticed.

Jasus thats alot of pressure on Sexton. 10 and 13 at the same time is probably a bit of an ask. Trimble would probably be in that team too now that hes fit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jul 20 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jasus thats alot of pressure on Sexton. 10 and 13 at the same time is probably a bit of an ask. Trimble would probably be in that team too now that hes fit.[/b]

Sorry, perhaps I was thinking about kicking.

I meant, Fergus 'why the hell did I show up while the greatest centre of the professional era is still playing' Mcfadden.

And yeah, I've always felt sorry for Trimble. I think he's a brilliant first centre but he never gets hs chance. I find it hard to beieve that he's still 24. Was he 20 when he got his first cap?

Quality player. *takes out fishing rod* Definitely better than Henson....

and with the flick of a wrist...

Fergus will be grand I'd say we have two great centres, but they both have histories with fairly serious injuries. Can't expect to see BOD play more than 7 or 8 league games this year.

Jeez we're properly off topic again. How is it that it always ends up being a discussion about the future of Irish rugby?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jul 20 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fergus will be grand I'd say we have two great centres, but they both have histories with fairly serious injuries. Can't expect to see BOD play more than 7 or 8 league games this year.

Jeez we're properly off topic again. How is it that it always ends up being a discussion about the future of Irish rugby?[/b]

Coz it looks like we have a great future! Lets pick this up in one of thr Irish threads. I'm in that kind of mood. 4 days in oxegen with no rugbyheads kinda does that to me!

typical TRF to turn any thread into a discussion about:
1. who's better who's best (mainly irish players / welsh players)
or (not this thread)
2. NH vs SH
:rolleyes: :D
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jul 20 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The next big step will be getting some quality players in. I presume the will aim at getting alot of the national squad currently playing abroad to come back home as well as picking the best talent in the Super 10. Will we likely see a few bigname imports to generate a bit of interest in the teams?[/b]
yes it will

won't be easy and next season, with no CL yet, Super 10 League completely restructuring, some top teams disappearing (Calvisano, Capitolina Roma), other teams who are probably gonna reduce consistently their budget (Treviso?), will be a turnaround

btw FIR need to handle strongly the transition period

they just published a list of "national relevance players", for each of them FIR will contrbute a sum of money to any italian club who will contract the player and will let him play a consistent timing in any competition (national or international), this will not probably be enough to help the return of players like Parisse or Castrogiovanni but it could be useful for many others

for anyone intersted thes are the lists:

1st Group – 50.000€ per player
Matias AGUERO (Saracens), Mauro BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais), Mirco BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais), Marco BORTOLAMI (Gloucester RFC), Gonzalo CANALE (Clermont Auvergne), Martin CASTROGIOVANNI (Leicester Tigers), Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Ulster), Santiago DELLAPE', Carlo FESTUCCIA (Racing Metro Paris), Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Cammi Calvisano), Craig GOWER (Bayonne) Andrea LO CICERO (Racing Metro Paris), Andrea MARCATO (Benetton Treviso), Andrea MASI (Racing Metro Paris), Luke MCLEAN (Cammi Calvisano), Carlos NIETO (Gloucester RFC), Fabio ONGARO (Saracens), Sergio PARISSE (Stade Francais), Salvatore PERUGINI (Stade Toulousain), Alessandro ZANNI (Cammi Calvisano)

2nd Group – 30.000€ per player
Robert BARBIERI (Benetton Treviso), Valerio BERNABO' (Cammi Calvisano), Kristopher BURTON (Consiag I Cavalieri Prato), Pablo CANAVOSIO (MPS Viadana), Andrea CECCATO (Benetton Treviso), Lorenzo CITTADINI (Cammi Calvisano), Alberto DE MARCHI (Overmach Cariparma), Paul DERBYSHIRE (Carrera Petrarca Padova), Simone FAVARO (Femi CZ Rovigo)*, Luigi FERRARO (MPS Viadana), Gonzalo GARCIA (Cammi Calvisano), Quintin GELDENHUYS (MPS Viadana), Francesco MINTO (Overmach Cariparma), Jean Francois MONTAURIOL (Casinò di Venezia), Luciano ORQUERA (Brive), Enrico PATRIZIO (Carrera Petrarca Padova), Gilberto PAVAN (Overmach Cariparma), Riccardo PAVAN (Overmach Cariparma), Antonio PAVANELLO (Benetton Treviso), Simon PICONE (Benetton Treviso), Matteo PRATICHETTI (Cammi Calvisano), Roberto QUARTAROLI (Overmach Cariparma)*, Tommaso REATO (Femi CZ Rovigo), Kaine ROBERTSON (MPS Viadana), Ignacio ROUYET (MPS Viadana), Giulio RUBINI (Overmach Cariparma), Franco SBARAGLINI (Benetton Treviso), Fabio SEMENZATO (Benetton Treviso), Michele SEPE (AlmavivA UR Capitolina), Alberto SGARBI (Benetton Treviso), Josh SOLE (MPS Viadana), Fabio STAIBANO (Castres Olympique), ***o TEBALDI (Plusvalore Gran Parma), Giulio TONIOLATTI (AlmavivA UR Capitolina), Pietro TRAVAGLI (Overmach Cariparma), Manoa VOSAWAI (Overmach Cariparma)

3rd Group – 20.000€ per player
Andrea BACCHETTI (Femi CZ Rovigo), Tommaso BENVENUTI (Benetton Treviso)*, Riccardo BOCCHINO (AlmavivA UR Capitolina)*, Tommaso D'APICE (Cammi Calvisano)*, Andrea DE MARCHI (Femi CZ Rovigo), Joshua FURNO (Partenope Napoli)*, Edoardo GORI (Consiag I Cavalieri Prato)*, Tommaso IANNONE (Ruggers Tarvisium)*, Andrea MANICI (Plusvalore Gran Parma), Denis MAJSTOROVIC (Vibu Noceto), Luca PETILLO (Mantovani Lazio)*, Andrea PRATICHETTI (Cammi Calvisano)*, Massimiliano RAVALLE (Overmach Cariparma)*, Costantino RICCIARDI (Carrera Petrarca Padova), Sebastian RODWELL (Giunti Firenze)*, Lorenzo ROMANO (Overmach Cariparma), Giovanbattista VENDITTI (AlmavivA UR Capitolina)*

* player from the academy

Great to see Rugby growing outside of the traditional hotbeds.

Not too sure about some of the finer implications and sustainability of this move, but it's got to be a benefit to the global game... Surely?

this are notable player of treviso, viadana and roma right now. before the ML joining some good players will return to italy...

TREVISO
zanni (23 cap)
ghiraldini (11 cap)
cittadini
garcia (8 cap)
mclean (6 cap)
marcato (15 cap)
rizzo
m. pratichetti (9 cap)
rouyet (2 cap)
sgarbi (2 cap)
picone (17 cap)
galon (18 cap)
orlando (11 cap)
pavanello (3 cap)
intoppa (7 cap)

VIADANA
del fava (29 cap)
geldenhuys
robertson
sole
erasmus
canavosio
neivua (fiji, 8 cap)
benatti (5 cap)
pace (3 cap)
Johansson (australia, 20 cap)
murphy (canada, 19 cap)
hola (tonga, 39 cap)
persico (56 cap)
sepe (2 cap)

ROMA
toniolatti (3 cap)
bernabò (13 cap)
gauthier (argentina, 2 cap)

I feel that there should really be 4 Itallian teams, or perhaps 3 Italia, and 3 Scots, to even it out a little? Wales and Ireland dominate a little too much. (Not that I'm complaining, but...)

Well the SRU can't afford another region.

And I suppose the Italians are starting with wo and seeing how it goes but I suspect they want to maintain a decent quality domestic league too.

I saw in the NH Tranfer Thread that loads of the big name Calvisano players are heading to Treviso to play their Rugby, could this affect the new teams? I mean now that Treviso aren't gonna be part of it, could they block playering from leaving in any way? Not saying they will be as petty as that though, was just a thought.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jul 28 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I saw in the NH Tranfer Thread that loads of the big name Calvisano players are heading to Treviso to play their Rugby, could this affect the new teams? I mean now that Treviso aren't gonna be part of it, could they block playering from leaving in any way? Not saying they will be as petty as that though, was just a thought.[/b]
good point, it's a big issue

Treviso got these players (Ghiraldini, Zanni, Cittadini, McLean) before the Celtic League draft by the FIR, easy to imagine they were pretty sure to be admitted in the CL, actually dunno what could happen, for sure those players will play in one of the new CL franchise, it could depend on the contract they signed with Treviso but the matter is absolutely complicated because actually no italian club can agree professional contract with players (in italian rugby there's no professionalism officialy...) whils the new franchises will have a true professional status...

a real mess, time will tell

I wouldn't be surprised if Italian rugby club game gets a major kick in the pants.

treviso try to force the FIR decision. In fact Treviso wasn't officially chosen by the federetion to join the ML. But they have a great number of international players now, like Ghiraldini, McLean, Cittadini, Zanni, Garcia, Marcato...
So they criticized the federation chose, and asked to control the Praetorians candidation and its economic guarantees. Veneto is the region in italy where rugby is more popular (Treviso, Venezia, Rovigo, Padova) and the exclusion of Treviso from the ML mean the lost of a great part of the supporters.

I think that at the end the two franchiges will be Aironi and Dogi

The Dogi mean the union of Treviso, Venezia, Rovigo and Padova.

I honestly can't believe this. So is the process completely over or is it just delayed until the FIR can prove that their two teams can play?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 29 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I honestly can't believe this. So is the process completely over or is it just delayed until the FIR can prove that their two teams can play?[/b]
definitely over for 2010/2011 season and, I'm afraid, for the 2011/2012 too (world cup season)

from then onwards, who knows?

btw, never say never