• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Romania

N

nosferatu

The Romanian team:

15 Iulian Dumitras, 14 Catalin Fercu, 13 Csaba Gal, 12 Romeo Gontineac, 11 Gabriel Brezoianu, 10 Ionut Dimofte, 9 Lucian Sirbu, 8 Ovidiu Tonita, 7 Alexandru Manta, 6 Florin Corodeanu, 5 Cristian Petre, 4 Sorin Socol ©, 3 Bogdan Balan, 2 Marius Tincu, 1 Petrisor Toderasc.

16 Razvan Mavrodin, 17 Cezar Popescu, 18 Cosmin Ratiu, 19 Alexandru Tudori, 20 Valentin Calafeteanu, 21 Ionut Tofan, 22 Dan Vlad.

For some quick facts:
- with two exceptions (both in the backs), this is the same XV which defeated Canada two years ago. Also, there are five of the ones who defeated Italy in 2004.
- only three starting players come from the domestic championship, with the rest likely to feel at home in France.
- Romeo Gontineac starts in his fourth World Cup :)

On the back of a better 6N campaign (first ever away win? with 3 tries given away almost freely by the scots in the first mins? a close home victory against a rebuilding Welsh team? no record margin defeat? :rolleyes: ), Italy is one of the most over-rated teams in this World Cup. The way I see it, Scotland will qualify from the 2nd position of Pool C and, on Wednesday, we might contribute to that happening ;)

A clear advantage for romania is that italy played 3 days ago which is pretty uncommon.

italy being overrated i highly doubt that, i think scotland is pretty overrated.

But indeed tomorrow game is gonna be tricky.

Bortolussi; Robertson, Canale, Mi. Bergamasco, Stanojevic; Pez, Griffen; Parisse, Ma. Bergamasco, Sole; Bortolami, Dellapè, Castrogiovanni, Festuccia, Lo Cicero. A disp. Ghiraldini, Aguero, Bernabò, Vosawai, Troncon, Galon, De Marigny.

I think we have been slightly over-rated, but we should still have enough to defeat Romania.

Well I don`t think that the Italians are over-rated at all. Playing against a NZ team performing with such classical simplicity that they showed over the weekend, many a top 5 side would`ve been shown up. And their scrum, lineout and rolling maul held up well enough at times against the mighty AB`s too.

I still rate Castrogiovanni, Bortolami and Bergomasco as amongst the best in the business up front, and Parisse and Mirco Bergamasco are more than handy in the backs, thank you very much.

Don`t know too much about Romania, haven`t seen them play much recently. But from what I gather, they`re pretty powerful up front too, yeah? So it could just be a fierce forward battle, something to look forward too.

I still rate Castrogiovanni, Bortolami and Bergomasco as amongst the best in the business up front, and Parisse and Mirco Bergamasco are more than handy in the backs, thank you very much.
[/b]

Uhm, Parisse is a back.. rower(you're most welcome!). Of Mauro Bergamasco, on the other side, you could have said that (flanker/wing).
But, yes, they're all world class players. In Balan, Tincu, Socol or Tonita, I think we too have a few. Not so well known because, unlike their counterparts, they don't have the chance to show their skills in a significant international tournament.
And of over-rated, I was referring to all this hype around Italy amongst the favorites for a QF spot. If they manage to get there, it should be a surprise, not a certainty. It took them a miracle(or 3..) to defeat Scotland last time around, anyway.

Here's a Romanian who takes a less optimistic view: yes, it would be great if we would win, and the Italian morale/physical condition isn't so great, but... experience of playing in the 6N, a better developed rugby federation and a coach that is better than ours are all factors. Maybe four years from now, when Fercu and Calafeteanu will have started many games...

Italy by 25 points.

if romania beat italy a couple years ago, im thinking this should be a good game to watch

Italy was highly over-rated before the RWC. Hell, even I considered it a lot better than it really is at one point. But the pre-RWC matches and the opening match with NZ showed their true value.
The fact that Petru Balan isn't playing is Romania's disadvantage, but we have our advantages. Italy's team is pretty much the one who went against NZ and I think that it takes time to recover after such a match, and physically, they'll have some problems. We still have a better scrum, even without Petru Balan, and I hope Pepe (Toderasc) will have a good game. We don't have great backs, but hell, Italy's aren't the best either. So, it will be a close game. The team with the most determination will win. Go OAKS!

As soon as the Abs crash scotland, it is gonna become clear that it was not an overrated italy, but just a superb ABs team.

And italy had beaten scotland more than once in the 6th nations, even without 3 intercepts. People are overlooking at the recent game, if you look in prospective you will see it has become a solid team.

I`ve been known to get my Bergamasco`s mixed up with each other before! [/b]

It's ok, mate. To my shame, in comparing with the team from 2005, I did the same with the Balans (Petru/Bogdan - and they're not even related :p ).

Im confused. You say Italy is over-rated because of our pre-RWC form when we almost beat Ireland?

Thats hardly a sign of it. I think we have been over-rated in the sense that we are not a big team yet, but at the same time I understand people rating us better than Scotland.

Said that, Romania I agree is a difficult challenge, I expect a win, but after this first week I am not taking anything for granted.

Romania will miss their best player, Biarritz prop Petru Balan, but still have a good pack with players mostly playing for Top14 teams, backs are unknown (to me...)

italians have a lot of pression after the first awful game, they have to stay concentrated and follow Berbizier gameplan, should be Italy + 15

The same second (I swear) Germany tied us in a soccer/footie friendly (1-1) and Italy got awarded a penalty try to lead 13-10 in rugby :%#%#:

The friendly with Germany and the rugby game with Italy are being played at the same time, you see (Wednesday evening).

Edit: 62nd minute: Italy leads 18-12. I think we're going to see the same things as in most world cup games so far - the underdog (Romania) will get tired - and Italy will score 2 or 3 more tries. Anyhow, we played a brave game, not necessarily a good game. Congrats to the boys, no matter what the final score will be.

im feeling slightly nervous for the scotland romania game now! Altough we have a strong squad Romania seem to have a good bit of confidence!

im feeling slightly nervous for the scotland romania game now! Altough we have a strong squad Romania seem to have a good bit of confidence! [/b]
dont'worry Warriors, Italy played completely shite tonight, you can never ever be so bad

the 2nd half for me was a lot more entertaining than the first, pretty obvious why.

it seems to me like the italians aren't finding their rhythm at the mo, they dont look like quarter final contenders.

Yeah i guess we should win but i find it hard to not have doubts, especially when it involves Scotland and sport! lol! Oh well bring on Tuesday!