• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy

the boks seem to have dropped that rule bj botha and pienarr are both starting and are both ulster men butch james is at bath and van der linde was selected while at lenister

Well...

Pienaar is still 'plying' his trade in SA, until the end of October at least (I think)
Van de Linde announced his intentions to sign with the Cheetahs before the S14 ended.
James has been trying to get back to SA, and the coach maybe just wants to investigate his options ahead of the WC.

Sorry for going off topic.

So on topic.

I only want Italy to do well when it is safe to say Scotland aren't competing for the Wooden Spoon.
Otherwise I wish them the best

It'd weaken it if anything.
The players are getting experience of playing at a higher standard then they would in a domestic competition.

Do Ireland have that rule? I thought it was just coincedence that they're all in Ireland, because they've got Murphy and Bowe

It's more of a selection policy than a rule, if that makes any sense. The Irish management has the freedom to choose their players from where ever they like by and large, but the prevailing preference during the reign of Eddie O'Sullivan was to pick home based players (exceptions being Simon Easterby and Geordan Murphy). This trend has largely carried over to the current setup but it really only applies to marginal players. For example, Tommy Bowe will get picked no matter where he plays his rugby but if someone like Andrew Trimble were to play in the Premiership he'd probably struggle to get back into the 22.

This would be a good rule if the economics condition in your country and your neighbours are similar... Like Australia, NZ and (not at all) SA.

But the very problem about italian domestic competition is that isn't rich: and what I mean is that even the first division (TOP10) could not guarantee to all players from all teams wages to allow them only to play rugby (expecially for young players and rookies)...
And going down to other divisions it's getting bad.
So for now, it's much better that our best player can perform at higher level, so they can learn much more for their careers, and this higher leve is in the foreign competitions!

We have had a good growth, now I think there're something like 50/60.000 players, and about 600 clubs... 10 years ago were about 10.000 and 250: I remember very well because I started to play rugby in that period (and now I'm 25), and it was extremely unprofessional and bad organized! So our rugby has grew fast, from "the base of the pyramid"! That base is wide!

What we need is a hi-level championship, with wide media coverage, that could give a future to the ones who wants to play rugby in their lifes!

This is an enormous problem, especially when you have a prime minister that own 3 tvs and a Soccer Club, guess who's gonna favourite??! He also owned Milan Rugby in the early 90s, and he brought this club under bankruptcy....
Shake these things with a very embarassing rugby union (FIR), that build problems by his own... and you've got a good pov.

That's why I'm happy with the new Celtic League (yes for me it's still celtic, cause Celts came here in the northen Italy before the romans!!)... this is the only way to guarantee also a growth of the top national competition!

I just hope it will be the beginning, and that in a few years (5-10) we could send in CL 1 or 2 more clubs (hopefully from the central/southern Italy)!

sorry for the lenghty post ^_^

Last edited:
The lack of a quality domestic game held them back, only the scouted top players move onto clubs elsewhere, the makeover being allowed into the Magners will boost Italy and IMO it is onwards and upwards for them.

Don't the the new Italian clubs have a budget of 6 million each, that's more than most clubs in the Magners if not all.

Back on topic, when doe the Italian season starts and does anybody knows if Sky or Canal + will be broadcasting some of the games?

Oh, sad to hear.
Besides Aironi and Treviso, are there any other teams you would recommend?

Well, the site of the FIR isn't that difficult but if I want to check some news sites to check scores etc... a decent basic might help me.

Don't the the new Italian clubs have a budget of 6 million each, that's more than most clubs in the Magners if not all.
do you have any trusty report on Celtic League clubs expenditure budgets? 6 milions each doesn't seem too much, let alone the the Top14 big spenders...

Stade Toulousain: 29,53
Clermont: 20,89
Stade Française: 19,28
Toulon: 19,05
Racing-Métro 92: 18,94
Bayonne: 15,75
Biarritz: 15,39
Montpellier: 15,01
Perpignan: 14,08
Brive: â'¬ 14,05
Castres: 13,94
Bourgoin: 10,58
Agen: 9,81
La Rochelle: 8,31

When I went to Viadana in 2008 and saw the place first hand, at that time it was a bit of a building site with a new large south stand and physio center being built. I think its safe to say the 5,000 figure capacity of Aironi's ground at Viadana is way out of date more 7-8,000 now with a third of the ground yet to be developed. They have enough land there to fit 17,000 in there if they wanted. Fans were out in force as well and the welcome was very well organised and brilliant. Really enjoyed the place and their fans and I think a fair few Irish and Welshmen will be surprised too!

Main problem for the town is transport as nothing goes near there and I mean nothing. We had to rent a coach in the end to take us from Parma to Viadana but boy was it worth it!

Italy have always threatened and have pulled off upsets against Scotland and Wales but they're just way too lightweight in the backs to have any effect.

They honestly need a good 9-10 combination to have any effect and currently they're nowhere near that right now. Maybe with the next generation?

EDIT: Aguero was awesome for Sarries and we were gutted to see him and Ongaro go. When he gets fit again he'll have an instant impact on Aironi's scrum I think!

That's one of the reasons I 'm doubting of going to Italy and see rugby, accessibility.
But after reading this it starts to itch.

Seriously when you actually get to the stadium its awesome. The lamb shank and local wine was to die for and loads of other stuff besides.

Oh and they have London Pride on tap there. Result.

Latest posts