• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITM CUP - Round 12

How did Michael Collins go last night?

I thought he went pretty well. He was quite physical with ball in hand, and his passing was good too. He got caught out a couple of times in defense, but in a game when almost 90 points were scored he certainly wasn't the only one!

Last edited:
Well it looks like the Shield is heading north to Hamilton. Waikato are hammering Taranaki 39-3 with 20 mins still remaining!

Cool... Cool cool cool.

Bit disappointed it wasn't more of a competition, but meh :)

I thought he went pretty well. He was quite physical with ball in hand, and his passing was good too. He got caught out a couple of times in defense, but in a game when almost 90 points were scored he certainly wasn't the only one!

I had recorded the game so only got to watch it last night, i agree Collins did good. That intercept really took the pressure off and really ate up some ground before hitting the deck and setting it up perfectly. going to be a big solid centre with a couple of years of rugby under his belt, one for the future. i hope to see him in a highlanders jersey one day

i'm going to say something now you wont like darwin...i think you were a big harsh on TJ :O i thought as well as his two tries (neither of which we easy) he provided a great holding point off the breakdown, he put in loads of short inside balls and a number of tem came off, when he wasn't doing that he was often the the first one in support...i thought he had a great game, much more like he played last year....still a bit of a butter fingers i admit

what a game from waikato! the naki simply had no answer to the Mooloo forward effort. I didn't think waikato had much chance but I had a feeling looking at the pack before the game - they rested Toby Smith and van Leven last game and brought in Romana Graham. Seemed a very deliberate tactic to bring in some quality rested players. Van Leven and Toby Smith were absolutely HUGE, so was Ben May and Alex Bradley. They obviously were not going to keep up the slaughter for 80min but by the time the dominance slowed Taranaki were out of the game and the Waikato pack was good enough to keep holding the line on defense.

in the backs the standouts were Renata and his kicking game and obviously Tim Mikkelson who had a huge game. he's struggled outside pretty inept inside back combinations this season so far but I think he showed what he can really do in this game.

Clarke looked so gutted, he did not even want to stick around and hand the shield to Bradley. Poor really but I don't think Bradley was too worried about it. bit of a shame they did not stick with that tradition. If your the captian that experiences the joy of taking the shield of a captian in a winning challenge you eventually may have to suck it in and hand it over to a winning challenging captain when you lose.

what a game from waikato! the naki simply had no answer to the Mooloo forward effort. I didn't think waikato had much chance but I had a feeling looking at the pack before the game - they rested Toby Smith and van Leven last game and brought in Romana Graham. Seemed a very deliberate tactic to bring in some quality rested players. Van Leven and Toby Smith were absolutely HUGE, so was Ben May and Alex Bradley. They obviously were not going to keep up the slaughter for 80min but by the time the dominance slowed Taranaki were out of the game and the Waikato pack was good enough to keep holding the line on defense.

in the backs the standouts were Renata and his kicking game and obviously Tim Mikkelson who had a huge game. he's struggled outside pretty inept inside back combinations this season so far but I think he showed what he can really do in this game.

Clarke looked so gutted, he did not even want to stick around and hand the shield to Bradley. Poor really but I don't think Bradley was too worried about it. bit of a shame they did not stick with that tradition. If your the captian that experiences the joy of taking the shield of a captian in a winning challenge you eventually may have to suck it in and hand it over to a winning challenging captain when you lose.

I don't Clarke intentionally didn't do it, it probably just wasn't at the top of his mind - and then he wasn't really given the chance to rectify the situation ;)

I had recorded the game so only got to watch it last night, i agree Collins did good. That intercept really took the pressure off and really ate up some ground before hitting the deck and setting it up perfectly. going to be a big solid centre with a couple of years of rugby under his belt, one for the future. i hope to see him in a highlanders jersey one day

i'm going to say something now you wont like darwin...i think you were a big harsh on TJ :O i thought as well as his two tries (neither of which we easy) he provided a great holding point off the breakdown, he put in loads of short inside balls and a number of tem came off, when he wasn't doing that he was often the the first one in support...i thought he had a great game, much more like he played last year....still a bit of a butter fingers i admit

I thought I was actually being quite generous on him :p

If he was a 'bit of a butter fingers' I wouldn't mind, but his poor handling skills are beyond a joke. He literally turned the ball over 4-5 times during the game due to his poor handling - if this was a once off I could accept it, but it happens every single game! I agree that the rest of his game was actually pretty good last night, but that doesn't make up for losing the ball 4-5 times. Not even close.

That is perhaps the most frustrating thing about him - he has the potential to be a very good player. His ball running was strong (though I still think he stands at first-receiver too often), both his tries were very well taken, and I quite liked the inside balls he was throwing (which is a new thing he has developed recently). His work at the breakdown was ok, but he did give away a few penalties in this area (as usual), and his defense was pretty good (which is not always the case). If he could play a game without repeatedly losing the ball I would be happy to have him in the side. With Grant out now unfortunately (from my point of view) he looks set to stay in the starting lineup for the rest of the season.

As a supporter of the Mooloos I'm happy that Waikato put in a dominant performance, but as a Taranaki supporter as well I'm quite disappointed in the way they played. Their defense at times looked tired and as Craig Clarke said, Waikato's intensity was far too much for them. Hopefully Taranaki can regather some form and get back to winning ways. For now I think they are still a possible contender for the Premiership. And hopefully the Mooloos can keep the Log of Wood for the summer by beating those bloody Magpies.

all of a sudden Waikato are one of the form teams in the comp, beating counties away is a pretty big effort. Actually one of the better games this year as they came from well behind to snatch it.

Prob too late for them to steel a playoff spot but at least now they are safe from relegation, the season will be seen as a resounding success if they can beat the bay this weekend - at least they have the whole week to rest. Bay have to play during the week.

brendon leonard had a massive game again and for once this season played the full 80, very good game from rory grice - one of his best, though I think he should watch his shoulder charges, he made a few kinda dodgy tackles. Another ref may have nailed him. Save has had a massive season running the ball, his passing has been good to. you would think if he worked on his defense a bit he would surely be good enough for the next level. Some great lineout work from the locks as well. one on debut.

all of a sudden Waikato are one of the form teams in the comp, beating counties away is a pretty big effort. Actually one of the better games this year as they came from well behind to snatch it.

Prob too late for them to steel a playoff spot but at least now they are safe from relegation, the season will be seen as a resounding success if they can beat the bay this weekend - at least they have the whole week to rest. Bay have to play during the week.

brendon leonard had a massive game again and for once this season played the full 80, very good game from rory grice - one of his best, though I think he should watch his shoulder charges, he made a few kinda dodgy tackles. Another ref may have nailed him. Save has had a massive season running the ball, his passing has been good to. you would think if he worked on his defense a bit he would surely be good enough for the next level. Some great lineout work from the locks as well. one on debut.

I'm not sure about resounding success. Their season certainly hasn't been a failure as the won the Ranfurly Shield, but getting 5th overall and missing out on a playoff spot (after being losing finalist last season) is a major disappointment. I didn't see the match myself, but it is good to hear Grice had a strong match, as I think he is one of the most talented young 8's in the country.

Not surprised that we (Otago) got thumped by Wellington, especially since we rested basically our entire first choice forward pack (and the fact they are much better than us regardless!). It doesn't get any easier for us this week versus Auckland - I'm hoping we can find a way to pick up a bonus point at least out of this match, as that would give up a strong chance of finishing 2nd on the table and securing a home semi.

looking at the waikato squad at the start of the year they were never a serious contender for the overall cup. Having Messam on All Black duty and Donald & Mega overseas, Holah injured basically for the whole season, plus no Lieliifano or Speight. It really is a much weaker squad than that of the last two seasons when they were losing finalists.

Considering that if they hold onto the RS this weekend then yes I think it should be considered a successful season, turning their fortunes around with such a tight schedule can't have been easy.

yes Grice had a very good game, it was hard to tell it was him at times because he was running the ball so hard and committed he looked like Alex Bradly, big tackles and some really good breakdown work. I was starting to wonder if his under 20's carrier would be his carrier highlight, he's been ok at best. But if this game was a sign of the future then we should see a lot more of him. Really impressive 80mins.

looking at the waikato squad at the start of the year they were never a serious contender for the overall cup. Having Messam on All Black duty and Donald & Mega overseas, Holah injured basically for the whole season, plus no Lieliifano or Speight. It really is a much weaker squad than that of the last two seasons when they were losing finalists.

Considering that if they hold onto the RS this weekend then yes I think it should be considered a successful season, turning their fortunes around with such a tight schedule can't have been easy.

yes Grice had a very good game, it was hard to tell it was him at times because he was running the ball so hard and committed he looked like Alex Bradly, big tackles and some really good breakdown work. I was starting to wonder if his under 20's carrier would be his carrier highlight, he's been ok at best. But if this game was a sign of the future then we should see a lot more of him. Really impressive 80mins.

I agree the Waikato side didn't look as strong as last season, but on paper they were easily among the best 4 teams in the competition IMO (hence should have made the playoffs), and were definitely capable of winning the competition. The TAB had them as clear second favourites behind Canterbury (which I agreed with). I think it is pretty clear that they have underperformed this season. This has been emphasized by their form in recent weeks - if they had played all season like they had versus Taranaki I have no doubt they would be leading the competition!

Latest posts