[TR]
[TD] 14 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Canterbury v Bay of Plenty[/TD]
[TD]Christchurch[/TD]
[TD]4:35 pm[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0-0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Final round of the season before the playoffs starts tonight in Dunedin. Most teams still have plenty to play for in this final weekend.

The four Premiership semi-finalists have already been determined (Canterbury, Wellington, Auckland, Taranaki), but they are all playing for a home semi (and possibly home final). The Wellington vs Taranaki class will be key in this regard - the winner could well get a home semi, while the loser would likely have an away semi against an on fire Canterbury side. Though neither Waikato or Hawke's Bay are in playoff contention this is a crucial match as the Ranfurly Shield in on the line. Hawke's Bay will be desperate for a win, not only to take the Shield off Waikato, but also to avoid relegation to the Championship next season.

3/4 Championship semi-finalists have been decided (Counties, Otago, Tasman), with three teams (Northland, Manawatu, and Southland) fighting for the 4th position. Northland need to upset an out-of-form Counties to make the playoffs, otherwise the winner of the Southland vs Manawatu match will secure the 4th spot. Otago need to secure an upset win over Auckland to secure a home semi-final, otherwise they will have to rely on North Harbour somehow managing to upset Tasman....

I'm picking we will see the following semis next weekend:

Canterbury - Taranaki
Wellington - Auckland

Counties - Southland
Tasman - Otago

Last edited:
Argh, we probably should have won that game. Too many basic errors from us (the intercept passes we keep throwing really cost us), while the ref was completely out of his depth (and apparently is unfamiliar with the offside law). He looked like he was about 12, and unfortunately reffed the game like a 12 year old too. I suppose credit must go to Dan Braid (the prick that he is!) who spent the whole game in the refs ear telling him what to do (in fact they might as well have given Braid the whistle and cut out the middle man!).

Ensor did some superb things again for Otago - He has a massive punt on him, and his defense was strong throughout the match (and needed to be). Popoali'i really struggled on defense, while the lack of creativity in the midfield was a bit exposed against the solid Auckland defense. Parker again had a pretty good game - I really hope the Highlanders sign him up as their third 10 (if they haven't already). I was impressed by his pace when he caught Anscombe from behind and (just) tackled him out in the corner. Tanaka was superb yet again, and has been the key to Otago's revival this season. Evans was impressive at 8, and I thought Ioane had a very good game (for a change). He was particularly effective with ball in hand this match, and importantly only lost the ball twice throughout the match (which is major achievement for him!). I was impressed with Aki Seiuli's ball running throughout the match - it is great to see someone hitting the ball from such depth. He still has quite a bit of work to do on other aspects on his game (scrummaging/defense) but at only 20 is certainly a good prospect. Anderson-Heather was again good at hooker..... apart from at the lineout.

Piutau was pretty well contained by Otago (his intercept try aside), but looked pretty composed at the back for Auckland, while Ben Lam was real menace on the wing. He is a massive guy, and Popoali'i (and several other Otago players) had real trouble stopping him whenever he got the ball in hand. It will be interesting to see whether he gets a full Super Rugby contract this season, as though he still has a few flaws in his game he has some serious pace and power. Anscombe was pretty good at 10. His general play kicking still needs a lot of work, but his goal-kicking was very good, and he takes the ball well to (and through) the line. Not too many standouts in the forwards for me - Braid was pretty good (when he took a break from reffing the game), and Manu looked good with ball in hand. Ali Williams was pretty anonymous - surely the AB's selects can't continue to pick him?

Hoping this isn't our last home game of the season, though we need North Harbour to somehow beat Tasman to get a home semi..... GO NORTH HARBOUR!!!!!!

Honestly Auckland should have won it by even more, that was definitely a try from Anscombe, I could tell just by how many times the tmo was replaying it, he was looking for every reason possible not to award the try when it clearly showed it was a try. Should have been at least 31 - 16 to Auckland.

What a complete robbery, cheers ref for costing us a spot in the semis. Took about 20 seconds then decides he can see it grounded. I rarely bag the refs but this was a joke.

Honestly Auckland should have won it by even more, that was definitely a try from Anscombe, I could tell just by how many times the tmo was replaying it, he was looking for every reason possible not to award the try when it clearly showed it was a try. Should have been at least 31 - 16 to Auckland.

Yep, Otago got one call in their favour. Perhaps the TMO was trying to even it up a bit, as it was pretty obvious the ref was wearing blue and white!

What a complete robbery, cheers ref for costing us a spot in the semis. Took about 20 seconds then decides he can see it grounded. I rarely bag the refs but this was a joke.

I don't really have any issue with this. The Southland player got the ball over the line, and the ref (eventually) saw it grounded, therefore it was a try. The fact the try was obscured by 2-3 Manawatu player shouldn't change the fact that the Southland player scored the try! The Manawatu player that made final tackle (Emery?) was a mile offside in any case, so it probably should have been a penalty try (but the refs can't seem to see offsides for some reason :mad:)

Yep, Otago got one call in their favour. Perhaps the TMO was trying to even it up a bit, as it was pretty obvious the ref was wearing blue and white!

I don't really have any issue with this. The Southland player got the ball over the line, and the ref (eventually) saw it grounded, therefore it was a try. The fact the try was obscured by 2-3 Manawatu player shouldn't change the fact that the Southland player scored the try! The Manawatu player that made final tackle (Emery?) was a mile offside in any case, so it probably should have been a penalty try (but the refs can't seem to see offsides for some reason :mad:)

He took way too long though, you can't wait that long and then decide you can see it. he may have wriggled free to get it down, if it is held up for the first 5 seconds and then grounded it isn't a try it is held up.

He took way too long though, you can't wait that long and then decide you can see it. he may have wriggled free to get it down, if it is held up for the first 5 seconds and then grounded it isn't a try it is held up.

While I agree that the ref took a ridiculous amount of time to make a decision, I think it was quite clearly a try. The Southland player doesn't appear to be wriggling around trying to ground the ball after a few seconds. The Southland player nearby could clearly see the ball planted 5 seconds before the ref too....

As I mentioned before, the Manawatu 13 who made the final tackle was miles offside, so by all rights Southland deserved a penalty try had the try not been scored! The ref didn't cost Manawatu - their own poor last minute defense did....
Anyways... great news for Otago, with North Harbor finally firing and beating Tasman, meaning we have a home semi-final :bana:

waikato hold the shield for the summer

hawkes Bay to drop down to the championship next year, maybe they underachieved this year - had some injury issues too. Shame Guildford was injured, not sure what he picked up.

going to be some good finals in both tables. in both I would say any of the top three can win it. Dont like southland or taranaki's chances.

waikato hold the shield for the summer

hawkes Bay to drop down to the championship next year, maybe they underachieved this year - had some injury issues too. Shame Guildford was injured, not sure what he picked up.

going to be some good finals in both tables. in both I would say any of the top three can win it. Dont like southland or taranaki's chances.

Waikato really just cruised through that Shield defense, with Hawke's Bay barely firing a shot. I was pretty disappointed with Hawke's Bay this season. I expected them to be a lot more competitive this year, and even the wins they did have (Bay of Plenty, Counties, Otago) could have gone either way. Hopefully whoever gets promoted from the Championship has a bit more success in the top division next season (especially if it is Otago :) ).

Latest posts