• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

its surprising the rwc isnt completely free to air

F

feicarsinn

you think the sponsors would make this manditory as they want to raise as much awarness as possible. ok you catch most of the big games and if u have satillite your grand but i just assumed this would be in the sponsors best interests

it's nothing to do with the sponsors. As far as the European teams are concerned it's down to the governments as to what is designated free to air. Setanta have the rights to all the matches in Ireland but they've been forced to sell rights to the Ireland games and the semi finals and final to TV3.

I'd damn well think so too! Considering all the fuss kicked up* by everyone else when Sky bought the rights to the England six nations games which resulted in the BBC receiving the games when the contracts went back for renewal, I would have thought we would have come riding to the rescue of the average Irish fan to return the favour!

*(Thanks by the way! There was no way my Dad was going to fork out for Sky Sports! Who says there isn't any friendship between the Home nations these days?!)

You really have to wonder why the IRB bother dealing with clowns like ITV, their coverage at times just takes the ****, at least they've had the good sense to get a loan of every Sky Commentator yet they still decide to put matches like Scotland v Italy on their digital channels, I know digital tv is easily available but you'd still think this would be one of the games they'd show on their primary channel. Although they've got form from the last world cup, they put the New Zealand v South Africa quarter final on ITV2.

do you know if the Scotland games (the 2 on ITV 4 and 1 on ITV3) will be shown on STV or Grampian - or are those channels constant for the whole country?

if they arent then im only going to catch 2 games - and 1 of those is only because im going to it! :(

I can imagine how it is in places like USA and others where Rugby is not the main sport. In New Zealand football world cup was shocking, the worst thing is when they have some idiot on commentating who doesn't have a clue about what is really happening.

You'd think they'd be determined to give it away free to bigger channels in any of the developing countries. I think having it on a mainstream channel that everyone can get is a huge boost. Especially with channel flippers who'll see it. not know what it is and might start watching. On small digital stations you have to be seeking it out. I think I'll end up sleeping in the pub for this anyway.

id say they havent found that many big channels in america willing to give time and money for a minority sport as it is in the states

do you know if the Scotland games (the 2 on ITV 4 and 1 on ITV3) will be shown on STV or Grampian - or are those channels constant for the whole country?

if they arent then im only going to catch 2 games - and 1 of those is only because im going to it! :( [/b]

Well I know last time round the Ireland games that were on ITV2 were shown on UTV so I'd imagine it'll be the same this time round with the various regions but you're probably just as well to email them and see what the story is.

<div class='quotemain'> do you know if the Scotland games (the 2 on ITV 4 and 1 on ITV3) will be shown on STV or Grampian - or are those channels constant for the whole country?

if they arent then im only going to catch 2 games - and 1 of those is only because im going to it! :( [/b]

Well I know last time round the Ireland games that were on ITV2 were shown on UTV so I'd imagine it'll be the same this time round with the various regions but you're probably just as well to email them and see what the story is. [/b][/quote]

that was then though, another 4 years have past and they now care less about the different regions than ever. (only something like 2% of the BBC's budget last year was spent in Scotland - the second biggest country in the UK - yet England has about 10 seperate regions)

If I have to go to the pub to watch it then so be it, I wont complain, but id rather have the option.

did the BBC not bid for the rights atall? surprising considering they have ALWAYS (as far as i can remember) held the 6 Nations rights! and they normally show all the November/August tests (excluding England now). Mind you, there probably saving up a ludicrous amount to buy back the Prem. rights.

Those living in Europe should consider themselves lucky that they can Watch the World Cup on free TV. Over here in Canada, we get Setanta at $15/Month plus when the group stages are done, we get to watch the remaining games including the final on Pay Per View! Thanks IRB!!

In New Zealand we get every single game live and free to air.

[/b]
i thought sky bought it off TVNZ? or is it TV 3 that bought it? i'm gutted one lost it, i really liked keith quinn, he was and still is my favourite commentator. it's a shame he's being made redundant after so many great years of great service eh. he still has so much to offer, listening to idiots like murray mexted **** me off thinking guys like keith are out of a job.

Yeah TV3 got the whole RWC free to air I'm rapt SkyTv aint got exclusive rights. Feel sorry for the people that have to watch it on PPV that sux. A big event like RWC should be flippin free for everyone.

did the BBC not bid for the rights atall? surprising considering they have ALWAYS (as far as i can remember) held the 6 Nations rights! and they normally show all the November/August tests (excluding England now). Mind you, there probably saving up a ludicrous amount to buy back the Prem. rights.

[/b]

For the last damn time: ITV have the rights to the Rugby World Cup! (in the UK) We can all step back from threatening to drive 200 miles for a pub that has Sky!

The BBC have always had Six Nations coverage apart from the late 1990s when the RFU sold their England games to Sky. This then ended in the other unions threatening to either boycott or eject England from the competition and with the RFU agreeing to let TV rights be negotiated by all the Unions rather than just individually.

Obviously, because all the other Unions aren't total greedy little idiots who just want to claw every single penny out of the game if they could, all the state broadcasters got the deal for the rights and Sky was shut out.

Latest posts