'It's time to give up' - Maxwell

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by woosaah, Mar 6, 2006.

1. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3595254a1823,00.html

in my opinion a great lock, never gave up and always put his body on the line. his career cut short by injuries but its his own fault for doing the r2k6 dive tackle every time :)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. DNAPlay

DNAPlay Guest

Was a truly great player, very much in the Ian Jones school of locks - tough, uncompromising, and did the job no questions asked...

Here's a funny story...

I was doing a breakfast interview with former Bok lock Mark Andrews yesterday, and he was recalling the very first time he faced the Haka. He said that each player seeks out his opposing number, and in Mark's case, he was up against Robin Brooke. He said that Robin looked at him as if he wanted to kill him, and in Mark's on words, "I nearly shat myself!" He continued that for the first 10 minutes of the match in Dunedin, he didn't feature at all as he was so put out by Robin's death stare.

Anyway, years later, Mark is facing something like his 11th Haka, and Norm Maxwell is making his debut. Now as everyone knows, Kiwis learn the Haka before they are born, and to do it while wearing an All Black jersey is the culmination of the ultimate dream. So Norm is amped beyond belief, and after the "Kamate Kamate" he looks up to search for the eyes of Mark. As the two players' eyes meet, Mark sends Norm a wink, and blows him a kiss....

Norm gets so flustered that he forgets his words and actions, and buggers up his first ever Test Match Haka.

Afterwards, Mark went up to him and said "You're a joke and a disgrace - you just ruined one of the most powerful moments in sport!"

Needless to say, Mark said that in every match he ever played against Norm after that, the Kiwi tried to kill him in every way possible...

4. Serge

Serge Guest

I have a lot of respect for Maxwell. He has been a great servant to Canterbury rugby and always gave 100%. Yes he was pyscho, but that just gave him X-factor for me. No one else at Canterbury has the passion that Maxwell did for rugby.

5. woosaah

woosaah Guest

you must remember that he did come from northland before he set camp up for a successful crudade.

was the best move he ever made :)

6. Serge

Serge Guest

I consider him a Cantabrian. :)

7. woosaah

woosaah Guest

yeah so do i :D

8. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

Hahaha...funny story...

Funny thing is....I always wished Mark Andrews was a kiwi....he epitomised hard rugby!

Norm was one of my favourite locks because of the flying tackles he did. So many locks before and after him could not hit.

9. DNAPlay

DNAPlay Guest

He was a tough bugger hey! Bloody giant as well...I play lock sometimes, and he stands a good 20cm taller than me. Of course that could just mean I'm a short arse...

He's a hell of a nice guy as well, we've done a couple functions together and he's always fun to work with, although I do get a bit put off whenever he blows me a kiss...

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!