• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITV's coverage

• Thread starter ecks tartan army
  • Start date
Forget any commentators. Just put Will Greenwood and Brian Moore in a box and let them swear at each other during a match.

I have found it a little pro-English, it got annoying in a Welsh game when the commentators started talking about whatever happened in the last England game, or the similarities between Wales and Englind in whatever Wales just did.

The gymnast/tryscoring/face paint thing is odd, and they never coordinate it with whoevers playing.

And the 'Half-time Analysis' is pathetic.

I would much rather BBC had it, but as long as it doesnt go to Sky, Ill be happy.

ok i have been moaning about this for the whole competition now, but last night they took it far too far!

i was trying to watch South Africa versus Argentina as a neutral - enjoying the spectacle of a world cup semi, but the comentators actually spent more time talking about englands game!

but it got worse, towards the end when the argentine captain decided he wouldnt speak to Contepomi about his off the ball behaviour whoever was comentating came up with something like "he just huffs, puffs and storms away - what argentina do best".

ok, going on about england is one thing but coming up with racist remarks about competing nations is totally unacceptable.

I have found it a little pro-English, it got annoying in a Welsh game when the commentators started talking about whatever happened in the last England game, or the similarities between Wales and Englind in whatever Wales just did.

The gymnast/tryscoring/face paint thing is odd, and they never coordinate it with whoevers playing.

I would much rather BBC had it, but as long as it doesnt go to Sky, Ill be happy. [/b]

Not being contentious, but I guess from the flag you are showing, you are Welsh. Isn't S4C showing all the matches, with Welsh commentaries? IF you don't like watching ITV England, why not watch S4C? This is like the Scots moaning the matches are on ITV1 and ITV4 etc, but not mentioning that matches with Scotland playing were also shown on STV.

If, on the other hand, they are not showing them on S4C, and all you have is ITV1, would you prefer a Welsh commentary on that? I really don't understand. I find some commentators inane, but their inanity isn't due to their nationality.

ok i have been moaning about this for the whole competition now, but last night they took it far too far!

i was trying to watch South Africa versus Argentina as a neutral - enjoying the spectacle of a world cup semi, but the comentators actually spent more time talking about englands game!

but it got worse, towards the end when the argentine captain decided he wouldnt speak to Contepomi about his off the ball behaviour whoever was comentating came up with something like "he just huffs, puffs and storms away - what argentina do best".

ok, going on about england is one thing but coming up with racist remarks about competing nations is totally unacceptable. [/b]

We are bound to be a little bit excited about it you know.

<div class='quotemain'> ok i have been moaning about this for the whole competition now, but last night they took it far too far!

ok, going on about england is one thing but coming up with racist remarks about competing nations is totally unacceptable. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

did you read my last sentence? ;)

i may not like it, but i can put up with a little bit of it. problem is ITV seem to be doing it to death!

and whoever mentioned about STV showing all the games - they didnt!

fortunatly i was at that game - but i have relatives that stuggled to watch that game. (Romania)

yeah but its not fair isit? greenwood did f*** it up for me yesterday going on about how good england are nd how they believe that they are unbeatable... what a crock of ****.... save it for an england game!!

throughtout this world cup 20 mins of the build up for any game has been about england, and the last 10 on the actual game!!

its a poor poor poor effort.

I agree it's not very professional but these are passionate English rugby folk who have been smugly laughed at and crowed over for the last 4 years....surely it's understandable that we are going to bask in our moment in the sun. Don't worry it'll only last until 8:01pm next Saturday when normality will doubtless restored.

yeah but its not fair isit? greenwood did f*** it up for me yesterday going on about how good england are nd how they believe that they are unbeatable... what a crock of ****.... save it for an england game!!

throughtout this world cup 20 mins of the build up for any game has been about england, and the last 10 on the actual game!!

its a poor poor poor effort. [/b]

England are already through to the finals, whether people think they should be or not. The game between Argentina and the Boks was determining who England will meet. I don't think it inappropriate for the commentators, in this context, to mention England. As for 'racist' remarks, I personally never heard anything like that but wasn't really listening out for it.

If Wales, or Scotland, or Ireland had got to the final, and the match being played was the other semi final, I am certain comparisons would be drawn as to how Wales, or Scotland, or Ireland would contend with the teams playing out the other semi final. It's only natural. It would invite no comment.

Argentina seemed a shadow of their earlier selves, tired and out of sorts. The Boks played their best game of the tournament so far, in my view. Contepome did needlessly back hand a Bok in a fit of petulance, and was sent off for it. In the past this has been put down to the supposedly 'volatile' latin temperament. Is saying this racist? I don't think so. Stereotype, yes. It is a semantic way of describing a situation, is all.

You'd do well to chill out a bit.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> ok i have been moaning about this for the whole competition now, but last night they took it far too far!

[/b][/quote]

did you read my last sentence? ;)

i may not like it, but i can put up with a little bit of it. problem is ITV seem to be doing it to death!

and whoever mentioned about STV showing all the games - they didnt!

fortunatly i was at that game - but i have relatives that stuggled to watch that game. (Romania)

[/b][/quote]

If STV didn't show the games (and I know for a fact they showed at least one of them because this topic was first mooted a few weeks back), then perhaps you'd do better asking them why. If S4C, a small Welsh channel, can show all the matches, with Welsh commentary, why can't Scotland? It's certainly not a plot by us English to cause you problems in viewing your team!

For better or for worse, like I said above, England are the current World Champions, and are in the final, despite poor displays. As such, obviously they would be mentioned whilst the other semi final game is in progress, as to who they may play, or prefer to play, or whatever, because the winner of the other semi-final willbe facing England. I can't see the problem, to be honest.

ok, they can say who they would rather face and such like - but on several occasions last night the comentators actually started talking about englands semi itself! this is totally out of place - by all means make occassional refrences to the final but for god sake dont turn it into another analasis of the other semi!

and as for STV not showing the Romania game - i will be questioning this when i e-mail them. (but im going to wait till after the final before i bother about that)

ok, they can say who they would rather face and such like - but on several occasions last night the comentators actually started talking about englands semi itself! this is totally out of place - by all means make occassional refrences to the final but for god sake dont turn it into another analasis of the other semi!

and as for STV not showing the Romania game - i will be questioning this when i e-mail them. (but im going to wait till after the final before i bother about that)

[/b]

OK, fair enough. I never really pay a great deal of attention to the commentators as I can see the action in front of me on the TV. They come in handy when the ref blows up and I can't see why and sometimes they make me laugh with their inanities, but I never get so into them that I feel compelled to complain. They are background chatter to the match, and a kind of irrelevence, really, which I can easily shut off mentally, if I choose.

I don't know how or why ITV got the deal to televise the matches. Obviously money related. Nobody asked me anything about it, I just looked in the paper and saw what was on and when. If I lived in Scotland, and I followed Scotland's rugby team, I'd be wanting to know why STV and Grampian didn't pay ITV to show them, or whatever it is they do. I can appreciate your annoyance there, but am the passive recipient myself as to what these broadcasters decide to do, or not to do. I actually think it is down to demographics, and the market in England being a possible 49 milllion or so is obviously greater than one of 5 million or so in Scotland. Even that's a guess as I just don't know.

I'd have thought that if ITV paid the IRB or whoever for the rights to televise the matches, they'd be wanting to recoup the money they paid by touting them to STV,Grampian, Setanta, Sky, or whatever. But I don't know enough about this to give a decent answer. I would imagine that money is involved at the bottom of it all.

Maybe somebody on here has a better answer........??

yeah i have no problem witht he fans basking in the glory... but the actualy itv rugby team shouldnt be doing it

its not professional at all!!

f*** being professional. It makes the presenters wooden and boring (see ITV Football, F1,etc) whereas having personalities like Greenwood, Mexted and legends like Pinnear, Lynagh and Johnson in the studio gives it class.

Plus, its only for about 2 months, shut up and enjoy it :p

<div class='quotemain'> I have found it a little pro-English, it got annoying in a Welsh game when the commentators started talking about whatever happened in the last England game, or the similarities between Wales and Englind in whatever Wales just did.

I would much rather BBC had it, but as long as it doesnt go to Sky, Ill be happy. [/b]

Not being contentious, but I guess from the flag you are showing, you are Welsh. Isn't S4C showing all the matches, with Welsh commentaries? IF you don't like watching ITV England, why not watch S4C? This is like the Scots moaning the matches are on ITV1 and ITV4 etc, but not mentioning that matches with Scotland playing were also shown on STV.

If, on the other hand, they are not showing them on S4C, and all you have is ITV1, would you prefer a Welsh commentary on that? I really don't understand. I find some commentators inane, but their inanity isn't due to their nationality.
[/b][/quote]

Just because I support Wales does not mean I speak Welsh. I know about 3 words: Cymru - Wales; Araf - Stop; and Croeso - Hello.

I am Half Welsh/Half English and live in England.

Dont be so stereotypical!

youd rather the BBC had it?

their coverage of major football competitions is even worse!

ok, im not actually old enough to remember the last time Scotland played in a major final. (well, i am, but im not old enough to remember the tv coverage) but the way in which there comentators can mention "66" so many times during a game that doesnt even involve england is impressive!

that said, credit to the BBC - march was the first time in living memory that a Scotland game was shown instead of an england game on BBC 1 (excluding northern ireland, who showed their game) and rumour is its happening again this week - anyone in egnland confirm?

youd rather the BBC had it?
[/b]

Yup. Not giving a damn about Football, I cant relate to your football comparisons - although until Recently, England have been the only half-decent home nationin Football so BBC had a right to be biased.

The reason I would rather the BBC did it is that in comparing the 6 Nations coverage to the World Cup coverage, I think that the 6 Nations coverage is much better.

ITV's coverage for me dropped in value the second I heard that complete and utter c*nt, Stewart Barnes has been temporarily poached from Sky. I just thank **** that they didn't get the only other rugby commentator I truly hate, Eddie Butler. The thought of those two one day commentating together makes my skin crawl. Although Murray Maxted's one-eyed viewing of NZ went from amusing, to really boring throughout the tournament, he is nowhere near those two.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> I have found it a little pro-English, it got annoying in a Welsh game when the commentators started talking about whatever happened in the last England game, or the similarities between Wales and Englind in whatever Wales just did.

[/b][/quote]

Just because I support Wales does not mean I speak Welsh. I know about 3 words: Cymru - Wales; Araf - Stop; and Croeso - Hello.

I am Half Welsh/Half English and live in England.

Dont be so stereotypical! [/b][/quote]

You know, the last line was needless. I wasn't being 'stereotypical', I was trying to offer a reason as to how somebody who is Welsh, and clearly doesn't like most of the English commentators, had the choice of S4C. Ok, you don't speak Welsh, but are 'half' Welsh and live in England. So how do we please you, then?

Let's put this another way, how could the World Cup matches be organised to satisfy you? Should there have been a panel of commentators made up of English, Irish, Welsh, and Scots pundits? I believe there was. I saw Ieuan Evans on TV, The Irish Prop whose name escapes me right now -a nice bloke; Kenny Logan, as well as Martin Johnson and others. Jim Rosenthal is daft as a rugby man, but he seems to be the anchor man who attempts to try and hold things together. Is that mix not sufficient? Who would you like to have seen commentating, and how could you have made it better?

A microphone attached to Mark Regen so we can hear his thoughts throughout the match.