• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Izzy Folau

Hes not talking about freedom of speech, do you even know what he fought for? He's saying you need to speak up against persecution of people for just being who they are, it's not about the speech...it's about what your talking about

If anything that quote is more appropriate in support of those thy have called out Folau for discrimination

100%

All Black invoking Dr King in support of Folau's homophobic rantings show just exactly how totally ignorant he is of the 1960's Civil Rights movement and of what Dr King was striving for.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Dr King's full speech here for anyone who wishes to read it
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

It had nothing at all to do with Christianity, religion, freedom of speech or homophobic bigotry!

Hes not talking about freedom of speech, do you even know what he fought for? He's saying you need to speak up against persecution of people for just being who they are, it's not about the speech...it's about what your talking about

If anything that quote is more appropriate in support of those thy have called out Folau for discrimination
No it's not lol. Read the quote.

And just so you know, I'm against what Folau is saying about homosexuals. It's important you realize that before you reply to my posts.

I'm sure I told you to read my posts on this thread from the start.

It's a pity that nobody is reporting any posts, as I'm sure that there are a few here that is in contravention of forum rules.

Instead we're just trucking along and allowing the trolls and WUM's to bring us down to their levels.

It's a pity that nobody is reporting any posts, as I'm sure that there are a few here that is in contravention of forum rules.

Instead we're just trucking along and allowing the trolls and WUM's to bring us down to their levels.
What rules have I broken? We're in discussions. Discussions keep the forum alive. No discussions, no forum.

Didn't you put me down before? isnt that a breach? you'd be close to breaching if anyone.

King was a minister, you do realize that.

Of course I know that; he was a Baptist minister, but it was for his role as a civil rights activist that he is most remembered, and it was in that role that he spoke the words in the meme you quoted and mischaracterized. DR KING WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT RELIGION OR THE FREEDOM TO QUOTE WHATS IN THE BIBLE!

All Black - I responded fully to one of your posts on the previous page in the hope of moving the conversation on. Would you care to respond to it? You might find it helpful :)

Of course I know that; he was a Baptist minister, but it was for his role as a civil rights activist that he is most remembered, and it was in that role that he spoke the words in the meme you quoted and mischaracterized. DR KING WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT RELIGION OR THE FREEDOM TO QUOTE WHATS IN THE BIBLE!
It's not mischaracterized at all. He was for free speech as a human right.

"Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter" - everyone deserves the right to speak up, everyone!

What rules have I broken? We're in discussions. Discussions keep the forum alive. No discussions, no forum.

Didn't you put me down before? isnt that a breach? you'd be close to breaching if anyone.

I feel like the issue is that you're getting sidetracked by the minutiae of every counter-argument, which is detracting from the intended theme of the conversation and has now ended up with you trying to "square peg, round hole" the words of one of the most tolerant and compassionate activists in history into support for a popular public figure's broadcasting of prejudice views - whether derived from scripture or not. In actual fact it would appear like most people agree on the major components of this debate:

- Is it Illegal to express religious beliefs on Social Media? Not in most of the countries we live in. This is essentially freedom of speech i.e. lack of legal/governmental censorship over expression of thoughts/beliefs, supposing other forms of law are not breached e.g. Libelous content. Beyond this, the idea of "free speech" pertaining to this argument becomes irrelevant.

- Is it offensive and hateful to tell someone that they will burn and be tortured for eternity for something they cannot control? Yes - although, as far as I'm concerned, it's about as real a threat as being skewered by a Unicorn.

- Does a company or organisation have the right to fire an employee for expressing views that they don't agree with, especially after warning them not to do so previously? Yes. If I stood outside my office building citing scriptural basis for the fact that every Hindu that walked out of the building was going to burn in hell, I'm quite certain I would be fired. Folau did that on a mass scale with his Social Media reach. There is no real argument to be had here - an organisation can fire someone for a far more trivial breach of conduct. It's important to note that, Folau isn't being punished for his religious beliefs. He is being punished for posting something on Instagram that he was told not to and suggests that Homosexuals are, by definition, "sinners" and should not exist on pain of eternal torture. Religious beliefs cannot be used to condone antisocial, hateful or violent actions. Instances where they are accepted, to the detriment of an organisation, is entirely done at the prerogative of that company e.g. Scotland allowing Euan Murray to not play on Sundays.

The main area that's really open to debate is, "how much of a terrible bloke is Folau." As an exceptional sportsman, a popular figure with over 350k followers on his public Instagram, and given the intensity of the media coverage, there is no doubt that his post will have reached millions of people. Some of those people will have felt directly attacked. Some of those people will use the post as justification for their own prejudice - whether kept to themselves or acted upon. Some of those people will be dealing with the internal torment of wanting to impress and emulate their hero, whilst being true to their own sexuality - something that is hard enough for most already. Given these impacts alone, Folau's choice to post that was misguided. To leave it up after the outrage it generated is obtuse. If he is a rational and sane human being, then he is a terrible bloke. But...

...To me it is clear that he genuinely believes that to which he has been indoctrinated. This means that he genuinely believes homosexuals will be tortured in hell for eternity. It also means that he must believe that he is helping people by telling them to change - however flawed a request that may be. It's still an immensely insensitive and ineffective way of broadcasting this message, but if you can accept that this grown man truly believes what is essentially a fairy tale, then I suppose it does make him less a monster, and more a very misguided man who is throwing away his promising career in an attempt to "save" people. Brave - in a very twisted kind of way.

I hope that someone close to him can get through to him before the damage done to him, his career and his fans becomes irreparable. I hate seeing how this kind of religious or cult-like indoctrination can override all other human rational and compassion - it's the same with suicide bombers or Christian Scientists who won't allow their children access to medicine - madness! On the flip side though, there is a huge positive to be taken out of this situation, in that the opposition to Folau's comments in the rugby community has been far louder and more compelling. I hope for every one gay kid playing or watching rugby who was hurt by his post, there will be one hundred who see the subsequent outpouring of support for them and conclude that rugby is a sport that's inclusive of all people.

It's not mischaracterized at all. He was for free speech as a human right.

"Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter" - everyone deserves the right to speak up, everyone!
He was speaking about the right to speak out against injustice.
People were being silenced from speaking out against racism.

Just as you're trying to silence people condemning homophobia.

I thought because you guys were reading this and active in the discussion, therefore wasn't bothering as your the moderators and would of thought you'd have stepped in and/or issued warnings.

Because there are some posts that outright homophobic that I do take exception to....

He was speaking about the right to speak out against injustice.
People were being silenced from speaking out against racism.

THIS!

Prove this.

Show me a post where I have tried to silence people condemning homophobia. BUAHAHAHA you can't. Now why is that?

Last edited:
Folau's church might be AoG in name, but it is far from the liberal AoG church that some here are talking about. I'll just leave this here for his supporters to read.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/israel-folau-religion/

"Generally speaking, Pentecostal people are good people. They're nice, they do things for the community, they want to raise their families properly. They are devoted to their faith. That's all really good stuff, but there's a wilful ignorance to learn about sexual orientation or gender identity," he continued.
He believes, given how far the church has come in the past four decades with recognizing culture and its part in altering opinions within the religion, it's only a matter of time before they also accept the LGBTI community.
Venn-Brown is helping to do just that with his work with Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International (ABBI). Their mission is to create understanding and acceptance for LGBTI people within religious organizations.

Folau's projections are 'disturbed.'
When it comes to Folau's approach to getting his message across, Venn-Brown has strong feelings.
"There's something wrong with him."
"When I look at his behaviour and the posts on his Twitter feed, you realise this is a disturbed man. I know from my experience people who are that obsessed and that judgemental – there's some deep personal problem they're projecting," he said.
He says we just have to look at Hillsong founder Brian Houston's response to Folau's comments to see that as true.
Houston condemned his behaviour, as "not the way to go about it."
"The world doesn't need more judgmental Christians,"

All Black - I responded fully to one of your posts on the previous page in the hope of moving the conversation on. Would you care to respond to it? You might find it helpful :)
Just red it now. Great post. Thanks.

My concern is not Folau or the homosexuals but more so the death of free speech. Look at my very first post on this thread as proof of my concern.

The last video presents an argument a lot better than anything you've said, I assume this is what you've been trying to say?...but I'd still rather people didn't do things that could cause harm than look for a silver lining to people saying hurtful things

Latest posts