• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japanese Rugby

Thanks for the update. Had the Sunwolves not pulled off that incredible victory over the Blues in the final game, would their place in Super Rugby have been in jeopardy?

Not for next year anyway. I think there is too much potential money in Japan for SANZAAR to chase them away without giving them a very good try, particularly as there are now doubts about the long term SA commitment to Super Rugby and a bit of a
mess in Oz.

As others point out there is quite a bit of enthusiasm in Japan for the Sunwolves, and decent crowds, even while they are having very poor seasons. If they have better seasons, as now seems likely, then I'd imagine the level of interest would grow further.

How are things looking for the Sunwolves next season?
I know they have a good coach tied down in Jamie Joseph and they've switched conference to Australia which should benefit them. So what should we be expecting from them?
Also, does anyone know how well rugby is growing in Japan?

How are things looking for the Sunwolves next season?
I know they have a good coach tied down in Jamie Joseph and they've switched conference to Australia which should benefit them. So what should we be expecting from them?
Also, does anyone know how well rugby is growing in Japan?

Pros:
- better coaching
- less travel
- slightly easier Conference
- Super Rugby taking a closer interest in ensuring the club is well managed.
- a reasonable and growing pool of talented backs

Cons:
- unclear if the Japanese union would prioritise them over the Top League
- issues the past two years with failure to recruit all top Japanese qualified players
- some of the weaker sides removed from the competition who might have offered a good chance of a victory
- still have to play a few "home" games in Singapore.
- a lack of quality Japanese qualified forwards to pick from

Prediction? A 2-6 wins (out of 16) team depending on how well they are able to recruit. They'll surely be entertaining along the way.

Pros:
- better coaching
- less travel
- slightly easier Conference
- Super Rugby taking a closer interest in ensuring the club is well managed.
- a reasonable and growing pool of talented backs

Cons:
- unclear if the Japanese union would prioritise them over the Top League
- issues the past two years with failure to recruit all top Japanese qualified players
- some of the weaker sides removed from the competition who might have offered a good chance of a victory
- still have to play a few "home" games in Singapore.
- a lack of quality Japanese qualified forwards to pick from

Prediction? A 2-6 wins (out of 16) team depending on how well they are able to recruit. They'll surely be entertaining along the way.

I think that Rich Freeman said that SANZAAR set a goal for the Sunwolves to win 5 games next season. They are also supposed to sign 4 experienced *marquee* players. We'll see!

On another note, I will be attending my first ever professional rugby match when I am in Japan next spring. It looks like either the Reds or the Blues.

WOOT WOOT!

I think that Rich Freeman said that SANZAAR set a goal for the Sunwolves to win 5 games next season. They are also supposed to sign 4 experienced *marquee* players. We'll see!

On another note, I will be attending my first ever professional rugby match when I am in Japan next spring. It looks like either the Reds or the Blues.

WOOT WOOT!

Nice. Reds would be a potential win. Blues would be interesting to see if the SWs could double up on that ludicrous victory.

I know very little about the Japanese team. They have a few kiwis in their staff. Do you think they could surprise France next November?

I know very little about the Japanese team. They have a few kiwis in their staff. Do you think they could surprise France next November?

They'll need to improve massively upfront to do that in my opinion. I prefer quite a few of the Japanese backs to France personally, but I can't see them getting a whole lot of ball to work with against the French pack. A pretty horrible matchup for Japan compared to say Wales or Scotland who aren't so strong up front.

Japan's Top League should be transformed into a Professional Competition of 8 teams (14 games a year), 3 of which are invited teams from Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.

Japan's Top League should be transformed into a Professional Competition of 8 teams (14 games a year), 3 of which are invited teams from Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.
Sure, they should change from conferences to divisions like the Mitre 10 Cup. That's a minimal change, would only change 1 game per season for each team. The shift to more players on professional contracts will happen naturally as the game gets more popular.

No reason for the islands to be in a Japanese competition, the Top League has pedigree and with the linguistic, cultural and logistical barriers to making it an international competition it just wouldn't be worth it. The Fijiian Drua have led the way into the Australian competition, which is a much better fit for the islands. The NRC is already designed to be spread over a big distance, and is still looking for rivalries to build.

Keep the context of what the Top League is. It's the Japanese equivalent of the Mitre 10 Cup and Currie Cup. It makes no sense to drop most of the teams. The top tier of rugby in Japan is SR, now and in the future. When SR is ready to have a 2nd division, Japan should have more teams there. (and the islands should get one too)

Last edited:
Sure, they should change from conferences to divisions like the Mitre 10 Cup. That's a minimal change, would only change 1 game per season for each team. The shift to more players on professional contracts will happen naturally as the game gets more popular.

No reason for the islands to be in a Japanese competition, the Top League has pedigree and with the linguistic, cultural and logistical barriers to making it an international competition it just wouldn't be worth it. The Fijiian Drua have led the way into the Australian competition, which is a much better fit for the islands. The NRC is already designed to be spread over a big distance, and is still looking for rivalries to build.

Keep the context of what the Top League is. It's the Japanese equivalent of the Mitre 10 Cup and Currie Cup. It makes no sense to drop most of the teams. The top tier of rugby in Japan is SR, now and in the future. When SR is ready to have a 2nd division, Japan should have more teams there. (and the islands should get one too)

Oh, I had been confusing the Currie Cup and Calcutta Cup.
All nationalities regulations must be abolished in Club competitions. All club competitions must be open to all.

If you have a Sunwolves icon on this forum you have a legal obligation to learn the official dance moves of the team.

Latest posts