• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

JASON FECKING ROBINSON

I thought people rated Robinson a bit to high in the world cup but overall he has had an immense career. I remember i used to **** it when he got on the ball he was just so quick and had that sidestep. Atleast he finished his career with credibility unlike Mr Dallaglio

I rate Robinson as one of the best runners in either code of rugby ever. one of the few players who seemed to be able to do things no other player could. He excited crowds and terrified opponents. give him an inch and he could take a mile. Was he the best all round full back ever: probably not. Other players would hit the line better or kick better, but then Robinson din't do these poorly either. Just to achieve 50 caps was great for him, given the amount of time spent in League, not to forget the success he had as captain of Sale.

I'd induct him because:

1. he excited people

2. He was one of a kind.

3. An integral part of a world cup winning side

4. Best League convert ever.

5. Compelling personal story of incredible talent nearly destroyed by alcohol and decadence, but saved by a good friend, faith and family.

Finally, i don't think the decision to induct someone into HOF should be taken because of other players from a different era. He should be judged by his own merit in terms of ability and achievement, not by how well someone else played 20 years ago.

I rate Robinson as one of the best runners in either code of rugby ever. one of the few players who seemed to be able to do things no other player could. He excited crowds and terrified opponents. give him an inch and he could take a mile. Was he the best all round full back ever: probably not. Other players would hit the line better or kick better, but then Robinson din't do these poorly either. Just to achieve 50 caps was great for him, given the amount of time spent in League, not to forget the success he had as captain of Sale.

I'd induct him because:

1. he excited people

2. He was one of a kind.

3. An integral part of a world cup winning side

4. Best League convert ever.

5. Compelling personal story of incredible talent nearly destroyed by alcohol and decadence, but saved by a good friend, faith and family.

Finally, i don't think the decision to induct someone into HOF should be taken because of other players from a different era. He should be judged by his own merit in terms of ability and achievement, not by how well someone else played 20 years ago.
[/b]

Steady on. Are you really saying he was a better runner than Blanco or Cullen? That takes balls to say that and be so confident. In my mind he was a brilliant player, not a legend who redefined the position of fullback. So no, he is not a HoF'er, worth a mention, but definitely not a contender.

How would you say Cullen redefined the fullback position? He was another brilliant runner, but guys like Blanco and JPR Williams had been running the ball from fullback long before Cullen got on the scene.

If you only inducted players who revolutionised the game and/or their position, there would only be a handful. A great player is a great player, no matter what someone in another generation did years before them.

Some people seem to think the Hall of Fam is only open to an XV and that's it, apparently.

A great player is a great player, no matter what someone in another generation did years before them. [/b]

that's what i think. judge him on his own merits, like other players in the HOF are. For example Rodber got inducted not for being the best ever back rower in history or redefining the position, but for having an impact on the game. We can't not induce some players just because there were other players also very good before them. Does the fact that Johnson and Eales are in the HOF mean we shouldn't nominate any other great locks?

for my mind Robinson was a unique runner, devastating in a different way to Cullen. Admittedly i've seen more of him than Cullen, though. I'm too young to really comment on guys like Blanco and JPR Williams, but the fact that there were great players before him does not make Robinson any less deserving of a place. Wairapara's argument simply shows Blanco and Williams also deserve to be inducted.

How would you say Cullen redefined the fullback position? He was another brilliant runner, but guys like Blanco and JPR Williams had been running the ball from fullback long before Cullen got on the scene.

If you only inducted players who revolutionised the game and/or their position, there would only be a handful. A great player is a great player, no matter what someone in another generation did years before them.
[/b]

Cullen took the game Blanco and JPR created to another level, he ran better than any of them and scored from any where around the park consistently. He scored 46 tries as a full back in a team with Lomu and Wilson who were already scoring plenty. Name me a full back that prolific. Robinson plays the same game, but is not in Cullen's league and hasn't done much more than win a world cup in my books.

And if anyone thinks just because he was a great convert from league warrants him a place, you are sadly mistaken. He's another excellent player, that's all.

That's just my opinion. Great former player, definitely not a Hall of Fame candidate.

It's a English forum, feel free to add him to your Hall of Fame, he will never be in a actual Hall of Fame, not up to the level of a game great. I mean, if Robinson was added then there would be a case to add every Tom, Dick and Harry who played a reasonable career....do you honestly think that Robinson is anywhere near say, future hall of famer(if he regains a little bit of form) Dan Carter? No where near for me....

He may have been a large figure in English rugby but I can tell you down here he was a dangerous player but certainly no Hall of Famer. Plus the fact that he won a world cup means **** all to his credentials, I mean, if Australia knocked off England in the 03 final then Al Baxter(King of all 'Teletubbies') would be a world cup winner....scary thought...

You think he'll only get in because he's English?Wrong.

The nationalities of the 8 who decide who decide the accepted nominations on TRF are Engilsh, Irish, Welsh, French, SA, Kiwi, Aussie and American. Although admitidly Captain America hardly ever posts on the board these days.

Nationality has nothing to do weather he gets accepted into the HOF or not, it's all down to the decision of the HOFFs who are all fair and of enough mixed nationalities to make the decision completely unbiased.

Anyway...

-STATUS-
ACCEPTED

Latest posts