• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jason Robinson retires.

P

Prestwick

Well, what can I say? A legend of both codes in the Northern Hemisphere retires from the game he loves.

I wish Jason Robinson the very best in retirement, when he played, he gave everything his all. He was a competent captain and one of the most well behaved players in world rugby.

Truly, he needs a salute from all corners!

Yeah and what a fantastic way to leave the game by getting a Try in his final game...

A true Legend of the game, hopefully he will travel with the English Squad to the World Cup, if not to play but to support them...

I also expect him to be on Sky Presenting the Rugby by this time next year...

Wow, he's gone ay?! What a great player! He was always exciting to watch and I'm sure he'll make a good living from the media and coaching and consulting, as his game smarts should be taken advantage of.

Well done on a stellar career!

Well his club Career is over but he may still play for England as an International...

From the interviews i read with Robinson, it doesn't sound like he'll be looking to any work involving rugby any time soon.
He wants to live as a recluse: strictly his family and nature...or something to that extent.
But good on the man, he was a cracker of a player very dangerous.

Would it be going a little too far if somebody proposed him for the Hall of Fame?

Would it be going a little too far if somebody proposed him for the Hall of Fame? [/b]

I dunno...but if you think he is worthy then you should write an article on him :)

Would it be going a little too far if somebody proposed him for the Hall of Fame?
[/b]

A successful cross-code player who's won the world cup and scored a try in the final.

That one line alone sounds impressive.
I think he would be deserved of a place in the hall of fame personally.

When my RWC stuff is done, I shall begin on a proposal to induct to the TRF hall of fame. The first Rugby League entry too?

definitely a candidate for the halll of fame - "Billy Whiz" was a great attacking player and powerful runner in both codes, first lighting up the world of RL with Wigan, England and GB and then making a successful switch to RU with Sale and England - not to mention lifting the World Cup in 2003 - personally, sounds like he's making the right decision to retire, hopefully he won't disappear completely from the rugby scene, however he seems to be a deeply religious and family man - maybe he just needs a bit of a rest before he gets involved again, whatever happens good luck and thanks for all those great runs, tries and magic pieces of footwork

hall of fame???.. hmmm.. that may be pushing it a bit far.
he was a great player but i don't think influential enough to be in the hall of fame.

I have a question - with most players there is something that happened that would be considered their darkest hour. Maybe something that happened off the field - something in which the player wishes that they hadn't been caught doing. Or maybe something on the field that they wish they hadn't done. Maybe they failed a drug-test or hit someone off the ball and did some serious damage.

Now has Jason Robinson ever been involved in something that was less-than savoury?

The reason that I ask is because I do not recall anything that would make you think that JR was nothing less than the consumate professional.

Anyone?

I agree Bigten, its almost spooky isn't it?

I think he broke Sir Clive's chocolate embargo at England's training hotel in England because he was being sponsored by Cadburys at the time and managed to sneak in lots of chocolate.

Will Greenwood was one of the addicts to the chocolate pusher of the England Rugby team.

I think he broke Sir Clive's chocolate embargo at England's training hotel in England because he was being sponsored by Cadburys at the time and managed to sneak in lots of chocolate.

Will Greenwood was one of the addicts to the chocolate pusher of the England Rugby team.
[/b]

I read that article. Had me in stitches. :D

I can just imagine Mr Robinson, usually whiter than white, sneaky around Pennyhill Park dressed as some sort of rugby playing Childcatcher, pawning off Curly-Wurleys and Flakes in unmarked brown paper bags.

I'd shudder to think what would happen if one of his addicts didn't pay up.

Martin Johnson getting done for burglary because he couldn't make ends meet?! :D

he was a great player but i don't think influential enough to be in the hall of fame.
[/b]

Read any of the previous posts, or just do a bit of research.
You'll find yourself mistaken.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Read any of the previous posts, or just do a bit of research.
You'll find yourself mistaken.
[/b][/quote]
i did read the previous posts, he scored a try in the final. tuqiri scored a try in the final, will that mean he'll make the hall of fame when he's done?
hall of fame players are legendary, not just great players but that and more. JR doesn't quite cut the mustard in my view..

He's did more than score one try in the World Cup. As well as the try he worked his socks off throughout the pitch (thats better!)

Do some proper research and try again. Jason Robinson and Lorque Tiquri are two different players completely. Robinson was a master in Rugby League and his high work rate meant that he took to Union like a duck to water. His skills at finding gaps which just were not there a moment ago were extraordinary as well as his speed and his fantastic tackling ability. You could rely on him to make regular tackles as well as score tries.

But at the same time, he is a very humble, genuine and honest character both on and off the pitch. Probably the cleanest rugby player (in terms of infringements) on the pitch and he will hold that record for years to come. The most extraordinary thing I know about Billy Wizz is that he didn't need to cheat to win, and for the most part he pulled it off.

I'm sure the other will continue to explain but Billy Wizz is a one of a kind and definitely the right kind of guy to go in the Hall of Fame.

Haha - I knew it. Jason Robinson just seemed to me to be too clean. So he was a sneaky little chocolate dealer, huh!?

I think that we need to make a stand against these dodgy types of people and say no to Jason Robinson being inducted into the hall of fame.

But seriously - this is a tough one. As a player who started his international career in league and then moved to rugby he doesn't have the same length of service to rugby as most players do. There is no doubt that JR was a quality rugby player but was he good enough to be on the HOF? If I had to vote right now I would probably say no. I think that it will take someone to write up a convincing and persuasive article to make me change my mind.

Latest posts