• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: South Africa vs. Ireland [1st Test] (11/06/2016)

Since we are doing speculation, here is my guess at what the team will be:

1 Beast
2 Strauss
3 Malherbe
4 Etzebeth
5 De Jager
6 Kolisi
7 Louw
8 Vermuelen
9 De Klerk
10 Jantjies (if he manages to get fit in time)
11 Combrinck
12 De Allende
13 Mapoe
14 Pieterson
15 Le Roux

16 Kitshoff
17 Ntubeni
18 Nyakane
19 Mostert
20 Whiteley
21 Paige
22 Lambie
23 Mvovo

9/23 POC and 5 starting. I think there will be quite a bit of rotation at loose forward though between matches and I think we will also see foreign based rotation with Redelinghuys taking Kitshoff's spot in some games. Obviously it doesn't look like Jantjies will make it back, so take out Jantjies, make Lambie flyhalf and put April in the reserves.

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 2 Frans Malherbe, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

The early whispers are saying this will be the starting line-up. Won't comment until it's confirmed.

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 2 Frans Malherbe, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

The early whispers are saying this will be the starting line-up. Won't comment until it's confirmed.

It's highly likely that'll be it, yes. Looking at how reports say the training went and who is fit.

Probable bench:

16 Bongi Mbonambi/Scarra Ntubeni
17 Trevor Nyakane
18 Julian Redelinghuys
19 Pieter-Steph du Toit
20 Jaco Kriel
21 Rudy Paige
22 Elton Jantjies/Garth April
23 Jesse Kriel

Not the very best we can put out but we should be good for a win at home.

If that is correct, I will have 14/15 correct, (I made that team list a week ago on Rugby365). I don't have a problem with that team really. Hopefully if Combrinck isn't there though he is on the bench and swaps at half time.

Yup, that's what both Supersport and Sport24 are reporting, so not really whispers anymore...

It certaintly is a strong team to put out first up, and seems like AC is taking the cautious route (which is a good idea for your first test). Glad to see PSDT being able to play as well as he has been the better of the 3 form locks. I'm very curious to see our bench, and whether AC will spring a few surprizes.

I just hope that Jaco Kriel is on the bench.

Jaco Kriel certainly deserves to be on the bench. So too Warren Whiteley. One of them will miss out if both Louw and Kolisi get the go though.

I also expect Ruan Combrinck will miss out. He can cover for fullback but Jesse Kriel covers center as well and will probably get the nod over Combrinck.

Lets face it, this is the reality of SA rugby ATM. This is subjective of course but IMO if we go merit only Jaco Kriel and Warren Whiteley will be there ahead of Siya Kolisi, Malcolm Marx and Armand van der Merwe ahead of Bongi Mbonambi and Scarra Ntubeni, Ruan Combrinck would be there ahead of either Lwazi Mvovo or JP Petersen and Rudi Paige would be playing Curie Cup qualifiers.

Despite this the ANC youth league has 'vowed' to disrupt these tests. If they do I just hope no-one gets injured first off and media attention make their stunts backfire on them.

Last edited:
Jaco Kriel certainly deserves to be on the bench. So too Warren Whiteley. One of them will miss out if both Louw and Kolisi get the go though.

I also expect Ruan Combrinck will miss out. He can cover for fullback but Jesse Kriel covers center as well and will probably get the nod over Combrinck.

Lets face it, this is the reality of SA rugby ATM. This is subjective of course but IMO if we go merit only Jaco Kriel and Warren Whiteley will be there ahead of Siya Kolisi, Malcolm Marx and Armand van der Merwe ahead of Bongi Mbonambi and Scarra Ntubeni, Ruan Combrinck would be there ahead of either Lwazi Mvovo or JP Petersen and Rudi Paige would be playing Curie Cup qualifiers.

Yup, but we're used to it by now. Not that I think Toetie would have picked Marx or Akker ahead of his Stormers hookers...

I would rather take Saulan's team. I feel the same about Combrink and Faf...best in their positions in the country. I will sulk for a week if he does not play, and I'm not even a Lions supporter!

PS: To be honest, I would rather take one of the Stormer hookers at inside centre than De Alende. On form possibly the worst inside centre in SR for the SA teams. Would rather take EP Kings centre.....If you MUST play someone of color then take the other Lions centre. Play two 13's....I don't care.

I would rather take Saulan's team. I feel the same about Combrink and Faf...best in their positions in the country. I will sulk for a week if he does not play, and I'm not even a Lions supporter!

PS: To be honest, I would rather take one of the Stormer hookers at inside centre than De Alende. On form possibly the worst inside centre in SR for the SA teams. Would rather take EP Kings centre.....If you MUST play someone of color then take the other Lions centre. Play two 13's....I don't care.

Haha, geez I wouldn't say that. De Allende is maybe the same for us as what Nonu was for the All Blacks. Crappy most of the time for his SR team and then brilliant for the National team.

The fact that Combrink and Kriel is in the squad makes me think that they will definitely get a run at some point, maybe not the first test, but certainly a chance. Maybe make their run-on debut on their home ground??

You're just being nice, admit it.......De Alende at one time was the form inside centre in SA....for the Stormers, never for the Boks....then he got injured and never came back.

I have to say I am happy if this is going to be the team. Like the combination of players.

Unfortunately De Alende is not playing well enough in my opinion to be in the team. Even if I am a Stormers supporter I would like to see someone else take his spot.

And then as always I don't like Willie le Roux. He is just to unstable for me. Most of time he does stupid plays, but again this is just my opinion.

You're just being nice, admit it.......De Alende at one time was the form inside centre in SA....for the Stormers, never for the Boks....then he got injured and never came back.
De Allende was pretty good for the Springboks last year. Has X factor on attack and is quite strong. His defence is lacking but AC will help him sort that out.
He has been out of form this year that much is true. He is in the same position as Jesse Kriel this year. We know both are good and both are in bad form. There is actually good competition for outside center and hence why kriel is not starting. At inside center there is not many i feel has more talent than De Allende. Only Guy i can think of plays 12 for Montpellier.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say I am happy if this is going to be the team. Like the combination of players.

Unfortunately De Alende is not playing well enough in my opinion to be in the team. Even if I am a Stormers supporter I would like to see someone else take his spot.

And then as always I don't like Willie le Roux. He is just to unstable for me. Most of time he does stupid plays, but again this is just my opinion.

Name a player you would put in their place that is in the squad.

AC will announce the team on Thursday according to Supersport.

De Allende is a good player, and he and Jan Serfontein does something very few of our backs do, and that is to try to win the ball at rucks. While he has been out of form, that is usually a temporary thing, he is a class player. And with Serfontein, there isn't many options I'd go for to pick in his place. Especially looking at the Squad and the SA "A" squad.

So by rather picking "the devil you know, than the devil you don't" - philosophy, I'd be happy with De Allende being selected.

De Allende was pretty good for the Springboks last year. Has X factor on attack and is quite strong. His defence is lacking but AC will help him sort that out.
He has been out of form this year that much is true. He is in the same position as Jesse Kriel this year. We know both are good and both are in bad form. There is actually good competition for outside center and hence why kriel is not starting. At inside center there is not many i feel has more talent than De Allende. Only Guy i can think of plays 12 for Montpellier.

- - - Updated - - -

Name a player you would put in their place that is in the squad.

I would rather have Lambie as Fullback than le Roux, but I understand with injuries this wont be possible, maybe if Jantjies is not injured this could happen.

And with De Allende I understand with other injuries he is our best option, I just think that he is not good enough in is current form. Maybe he plays better for the Springboks :)

I would rather have Lambie as Fullback than le Roux, but I understand with injuries this wont be possible, maybe if Jantjies is not injured this could happen.

And with De Allende I understand with other injuries he is our best option, I just think that he is not good enough in is current form. Maybe he plays better for the Springboks :)

Lambie hasn't played fullback for a very long time, I think that ship has sailed. And Combrink would be the better option to use at fullback in any case as he has been playing there more frequently than Lambie, and he can also kick at goal.

Possible Ireland team:

McGrath
Best (C)
Ross
Toner
Henderson
Stander
Ruddock
Heaslip

Murray
Jackson
Earls
Henshaw
Payne
Trimble
Olding

Cronin/Strauss (pending form in training)
Kilcoyne
Furlong/Bealham
Dillane
Murphy
Reddan/Marmion
Madigan
Healy/Gilroy/O'Halloran

There are a number of close calls as to who'll make the 23, particularly on the bench. In the backrow Stander at 6 and Heaslip at 8 are guaranteed - Ruddock is actually a blindside by trade also (Murphy is our only fit openside) but I reckon it's very likely he'll start. The last time the sides met Ruddock was called in to play openside on the morning of the match when our starting 7 Henry was struck with a stroke! Given the circumstances he played brilliantly and we won the match...I'm hoping we'll see a similar result! :p

4 players of the 31-man squad has been released to join the SA "A" side: Hooker Scarra Ntubeni, flank Sikhumbuzo Notshe, scrumhalf Nic Groom and flyhalf Garth April.

So we now at least know that Faf De Klerk and Rudy Paige as well as Pat Lambie and Elton Jantjies will feature at fly half and scrumhalf, while Bongi Mbonambi will be the captain's replacement and then it's a question of who will be on the bench, Whiteley or Kriel?

4 players of the 31-man squad has been released to join the SA "A" side: Hooker Scarra Ntubeni, flank Sikhumbuzo Notshe, scrumhalf Nic Groom and flyhalf Garth April.

So we now at least know that Faf De Klerk and Rudy Paige as well as Pat Lambie and Elton Jantjies will feature at fly half and scrumhalf, while Bongi Mbonambi will be the captain's replacement and then it's a question of who will be on the bench, Whiteley or Kriel?

Be a gent and post those players to the A game thread and tell us a little about them?

Kriel and Combrink definitely deserve their spots but at least we might get Faf, if we could pick one white guy out of those three it would probably be Faf, Siya is still pretty good and wing just isn't as important a position as scum half.

Latest posts