• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: Japan v Wales, Second Test (15/06/13)

I have seen some complaining "this shouldn't have been made a capped game".

But let me just make this clear, this international was finalised last June. It was Wales selecting an "A" team for a full international, not making making a Wales "A" team match fully capped.

Whilst you have leeway against a lower ranked side to experiment players but it is important to win the international match first. The Welsh coaching team either underestimated Japan (the more probable) or overestimated this squad.

So McBryde failed to do good enough research on the level of Japan and thought he could come and get an easy win just because they had in previous years against Tier 2 sides in Lions years and left out the fully available Ryan Jones, James Hook etc. This disrespected the Japan side, disrespected the full international status of the match, and lost us the Raeburn Shield on only the second defence. For that McBryde deserves all the criticism he is getting and more.

On a separate point, Wales had inexperienced players, but also inexperienced coaches. Wales fast track McBryde and Mark Jones from playing careers into big roles, but they were totally and utterly out of their depth when pitted against the wily experienced tactician Eddie Jones.

The fast tracking of ex players as coaches in Wales is something that needs to be looked at as it is becoming increasingly prominent. The likes of Mark Jones, Baber, Easterby, McBryde should start gaining experience lower down. I just noticed the Blues appointed Kyriacou as a coach as well recently after Rush left. How are Wales going to find a Graham Henry or Joe Schmidt if retired players get opportunities ahead of them straight away?

The fast tracking of ex players as coaches in Wales is something that needs to be looked at as it is becoming increasingly prominent. The likes of Mark Jones, Baber, Easterby, McBryde should start gaining experience lower down. I just noticed the Blues appointed Kyriacou as a coach as well recently after Rush left. How are Wales going to find a Graham Henry or Joe Schmidt if retired players get opportunities ahead of them straight away?

I fully agree. Surely the Welsh Premiership is also a place for the development of coaches? Every coach should prove their worth at Premiership level first, possibly even as a head coach of one of the clubs, before being promoted into a backroom position at one of the regions.

Rush was a complete disaster as a defensive coach, and Easturby and Mark Jones seem to having a negative effect on the Scarlets. McBryde has had a mixed period in charge of the Welsh forwards, he's certainly not head coach material yet. Howley seems to have come out the other end of a torrid time over the past year, but a slower transition would probably have been better. Tandy has been a lucky find, but he could have easily been another flop.

We really, really need to re-structure our coaching development system, because it's not working. Maybe the WRU should have a say in who becomes regional coaches, because it appears as though the regions are incapable of seeing past their 'mates'.

Anyone know if someone like Macintosh has even been offered a role at a region? He's a loyal Ponty man, so there's a chance he's simply happy where he is, but if he hasn't been offered anything it's a travesty.

Last edited:
I fully agree. Surely the Welsh Premiership is also a place for the development of coaches? Every coach should prove their worth at Premiership level first, possibly even as a head coach of one of the clubs, before being promoted into a backroom position at one of the regions.

Rush was a complete disaster as a defensive coach, and Easturby and Mark Jones seem to having a negative effect on the Scarlets. McBryde has had a mixed period in charge of the Welsh forwards, he's certainly not head coach material yet. Howley seems to have come out the other end of a torrid time over the past year, but a slower transition would probably have been better. Tandy has been a lucky find, but he could have easily been another flop.

We really, really need to re-structure our coaching development system, because it's not working. Maybe the WRU should have a say in who becomes regional coaches, because it appears as though the regions are incapable of seeing past their 'mates'.

He was head coach with Bridgend before the Ospreys. Not much experience, but he's not like Mark Jones rushed in to Wales backs coach. I'm sure there are cases of fast racked players doing well, but with the likes of Graham Henry (20 years of coaching schools rugby before entering pro rugby). Eddie Jones (started with Randwick 2nd XV), Joe Schmidt (coached schools for over a decade) prove that experience at a lower level may sometimes be good for developing coaches to learn. Coaching skills is totally different to playing, being a pro player doesn't mean you have them.

The coaches on this tour made dreadful selections off the pitch whilst being outwitted on the pitch. McBryde cost us the Raeburn Shield. That was only the fourth time we held that ***le in over 100 years.

Last edited:
Great win for Japan and thoroughly deserved. They have been building themselves up well since their inception into the Pacific nations cup in 2005. I love watching their style of rugby and about time they got a big win vs a tier 1 nation. Yes Wales were not at full strength, but that doesnt matter...still a big result for Japan and for world rugby.

Western Mail have wheeled out the dinosaurs to shingle about modern rugby.
Comments section is priceless, someone saying that senior players including 'Snowden Taylor' let us down.

Western Mail have wheeled out the dinosaurs to shingle about modern rugby.
Comments section is priceless, someone saying that senior players including 'Snowden Taylor' let us down.

There's some utter clowns in that paper. Both authors and seemingly comments as well. "Snowden-Taylor" :lol:.

I know little about Graham Price, but from this it seems as you've hit the nail on the head as a "dinosaur". He is disrespectful to Japan giving them no credit and failing to realise that they simply had better players than a Spratt/Navidi/McCusker/Reed/Prydie/Howells XV and better coaches than McBryde and Mark Jones.

He calls Japan "3rd tier at best". Which just sums up really his knowledge on the matter and backwards with the times he is. Japan have a full strength Italy and Samoa at half time in their recent matches with them over the past couple of years.

He's stuck in the 1970's. I bet you anything that he's the type who wants the regions scrapped and go back to clubs with little Pontypool back again, and was probably against rugby growing outside the founding 8 nations of the IRB in the first place.

What the hell does shingle about modern rugby mean? Ducking hell Apple...
I when does whinge become shingle?