• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018] Argentina vs. Wales (16/06/2018)

Looking at the proven options in every position:

Loosehead: Rob Evans, Nicky Smith, Wyn Jones, Gethin Jenkins.
Hooker: Ken Owens, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Kristian Dacey, Scott Baldwin.
Tighthead: Samson Lee, Tomos Francis, Dillon Lewis.
Lock: AWJ, Jake Ball, Corry Hill, Bradley Davies, Adam Beard, Seb Davies.
Flanker: Warburton, Aaron Shingler, Tipuric, James Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Josh Navidi.
No. 8: Faletau, Moriarty.

Scrum half: Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams, Aled Davies, Lloyd Williams.
Outside half: Rhys Patchell, Dan Biggar, Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Prieatland.
Centre: Hadleigh Parkes, Jon Davies, Scott Williams, Owen Watkin, Owen Williams.
Wing: North, Josh Adams, Steff Evans, Tom Prydie.
Fullback: Liam Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Halam Amos.

Quite happy with the looks of that. Hopefully some of the unproven youngsters such as Leon Brown, Sam Parry, Olly Griffiths, Harri Keddy, Rhodri Williams, Jarrod Evans, Sam Davies, Owen Lane, Keelan Giles can also push for places next season as well.

Brilliant performance by Wales soured by Moriarty deciding to not use his precious few brain cells. I was going to sing his praises, he was excatly what you wanted from an international 8, great work rate, make yards with the ball in hand and dominate hits in defences. However I'm excited about the backrow with him at 6. Faletau, Tirpuic, Moriarty, I reckon, is a match for anyone internationally.
Overall it was a very successful tour, even if they didn't win 3 out of 3 matches it was about giving these guys exposure at test level at all proved their selection.

I'm getting a bit excited about Adams as i reckon he has all the attributes to succeed at test level, I do like Steff Evans but he does lack the raw pace that an test winger needs, Adams defence also seems to be a bit more solid. Patchell is looking more and more comfortable in the 10 shirt although Aus this autumn is going to be the real test of his development, it was also nice to see Watkins have a good game and show a bit of his potential. I was a bit gutted that Parkes got injured as I reckon Watkins would look pretty good at 13 with Parkes at 12. All the new front row, Dee, Elias and Lewis all looked pretty good and heres hoping they can kick on from this now, especially Lewis as the other tight head options aren't the most mobile around the park. I'm not the biggest fan of Aled Davies but he did pretty well to be honest, however Tomos Williams has something about him and he will be 2nd choice 9 behind Gareth Davies by the world cup.

On the subject of Wales' strongest 23, assuming all players are fit and in peak form (red = nailed on, blue = likely, black = wide open):

01 Rob Evans
02 Ken Owens
03 Samson Lee
04 Cory Hill
05 AWJ
06 Ross Moriarty
07 James Davies
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Rhys Patchell
11 Josh Adams
12 Hadleigh Parkes
13 Jon Davies
14 George North
15 Halam Amos

16 Elliot Dee
17 Nicky Smith
18 Dillon Lewis
19 Seb Davies
20 Justin Tipuric
21 Tomos Williams
22 Jarrod Evans
23 Liam Williams

Man that Back row is difficult! Despite still thinking that Tipuric is one of the most gifted players Wales have ever produced, I'm tempted to select James Davies alongside Moriarty and Faletau for his superior work in the tackle area (although I re-ordered that backrow multiple times with Warburton at 6 at one stage).

At the moment I've gone for Cory Hill to partner AWJ at lock, but I'm not 100% sure. After struggling to see it initially, I'm now convinced that Hill is good enough, but maybe he's too similar to AWJ in the way he plays. Maybe he's AWJ's successor, not his partner? If he can keep improving Seb Davies would maybe provide the more athletic balance to AWJ's workaholic nature. Or Adam Beard for that matter.

I've also gone for Halam Amos at fullback. It's between him and Sanjay for me, unless Halfpenny shows huge strides in his attacking play this season for the Scarlets. I love Sanjay, but I think Amos has a few more strings to his bow with his cultured left boot a real plus. However I think this has been influenced by Liam Williams' injury and forum issues this season, so if he returns to his best next season he could be back in prime position.

I know Jarrod Evans' inclusion on the bench will also raise some eyebrows. I still think Anscombe is too flakey, while I don't want Biggar anywhere near. Jarrod could be the perfect impact off the bench with his attacking game. Time will tell on this one though.....

This tour has cemented my thinking that Anscombe isn't a test 10. Perhaps you could bring him with 15 minutes to go but I don't think he has the required skills/mindset to control a test team from 10. I was rather disappointed that they didn't take Jarrod Evans, even if only getting 20 minutes off the bench in one of the games. As for Hill he has definitely been a lot better than I thought he would be but I'm not sure to be honest, decent squad player in the future maybe but there seems to be no hulking locks coming through anywhere. Adam Beard was decent but you would never think he was one of the biggest players on the field, he should learn from Bradley Davies who throws his weight around the field.

This tour has cemented my thinking that Anscombe isn't a test 10. Perhaps you could bring him with 15 minutes to go but I don't think he has the required skills/mindset to control a test team from 10. I was rather disappointed that they didn't take Jarrod Evans, even if only getting 20 minutes off the bench in one of the games. As for Hill he has definitely been a lot better than I thought he would be but I'm not sure to be honest, decent squad player in the future maybe but there seems to be no hulking locks coming through anywhere. Adam Beard was decent but you would never think he was one of the biggest players on the field, he should learn from Bradley Davies who throws his weight around the field.

Agreed about Ansombe (maybe those NZers were onto something eh) but I do think he's a great 10 to bring on if your down but within touching distance with 20 to go.

As far as Second row goes, we're in a far better state than I thought we were... still none bar AWJ are top draw but one of Hill, Beard or Seb (the latter 2 still young) could get there in the next couple of years. Hill atm probably but maybe not by the RWC.

Latest posts