• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Just got the game

M

Mr. Laxative

Well, I reckon it's great. Sure obviously not a sim, but big hits are affective and don't always result in loss of ball and the sprint bar is surprisingly well implemented.

Expect a full review by the end of the week.

Rugby Challenge 2006 â€" Is this WWE or Rugby?

The question I pose is a valid one. Seriously what sport are we playing here? I assume that it is arcade action Rugby and I love it. Big hits, easy control, very few glitches and a perfectly implemented Sprint Meter. Yay!

After a long wait we finally have a Rugby game that should compete with the big guys at the top; EA. But, what makes this game successful? Well I’ll tell you; an incredibly fun multiplayer mode. Many times I have been heard yelling out at the top of my voice ‘Yes!’ or ‘God, Damnit!’ something EA really have failed to do for me. The simplicity of the game is perfect for this type of play, yet some strategy is still required. You can’t just pass to the wings and go for a break; you can’t just run through a gap between the outside-centre and winger â€" even when you are not playing multiplayer. A number of creative animations raise the level of enjoyment beyond belief, for example the WWE style tackle. This is very much an arcade game.

Over the past few months RC2006 has received a lot of criticism, but never have real game play problems been outlined. Sure there’s the legs in touch problem, but that doesn’t matter considering that a rule states: as long as ball is not in contact with a player in touch it is still in play. So where are the problems? Well, nowhere really. The ruck system from WCR is still there, but at least the winner isn’t predetermined and the Sprint Meter has been fixed so that you don’t have so many problems in the background. As long as you don’t use the entire allocation of sprint up at once, you’ll be fine. And finally the Big Hit. Perfect! Backs have problems taking down forwards and you don’t always see a ball flying out of the players grasp. Maybe those wanting to play a game that looks and feels like real rugby will be disappointed with Rugby Challenge, but overall it’s great.

There are a couple of areas in the game that need to be given there own little section in this review and the scrum and maul system is one of these. No rugby game has ever had a decent mauling mechanic… until now. It used to be rare to see a maul in a rugby game, but now they are seen regularly. Moving mauls and scrums forward is as easy as hitting the X button while the white marker is in the coloured section of the circle, yet there’s also the risk of losing the ball or having a bigger pack push you backwards. This has always been an essential part of a rugby game but it has been rarely seen. Swordfish have started something great.

There’s also the kicking system. General-play kicking is the same as the last instalment and is simple to execute. It seems more sophisticated than any other rugby game (Union or League) and there is a good variation of kicking distance for different abilities. Also a simple button tapping variation will allow you to make grubbers or up-and-unders and attempt a field goal, but that isn’t the biggest achievement that Swordfish have made in the kicking department. Goal kicking is a work of art. The four-step process involves choosing a distance, setting the path of the ball, adjusting the power and finally selecting the accuracy. Last month I said that the Rugby League 2 kicking system was the best ever, but this is miles ahead of anything else I have ever seen.

With little exclusion, such as jumping for the ball (a minor thing with the arcade presentation) playing the game is very fun and the offloads work perfectly â€" much better than Rugby League 2.

So, the game play’s great, but that alone won’t keep people playing forever. It is lucky then that Swordfish have put in so many game modes. With a huge variety of tournaments including the Celtic League, the Heineken Cup, the Guinness Premiership, the Top 14 and the RBS 6 Nations you’re sure to want to stay on for hours at a time. For those of you from the Southern Hemisphere, don’t feel left out â€" there are plenty of pseudo tournaments you can compete in as well.

The Career Mode will draw a lot of attention from the members of The Rugby Forum, with a number of members actually in the game â€" this is a huge leap forward in the video gaming industry and Swordfish have taken a huge risk. Luckily they’ve pulled it off spectacularly. The mode is quite similar to the Franchise seen in the Madden series, but with a limited player market and no real money. The story involved makes the mode even more exciting.

With full naming customisation capabilities and plenty of Bonus Features to unlock, there really is only one disappointing feature: The Challenge Matches. This mode is set up in the same way, as RPIC but seems to have much less depth. I don’t know why it is this way, but the fact is it is so shallow.

A lot of people have been critical of the commentary, but Swordfish with the help of John Inverdale and Dewie Morris seem to have taken a nice subtle approach. It is not as cut and paste style, as the EA games and ties in perfectly with the arcade presentation. Graphically this game is not as good as EA’s series, but again suits the games presentation and the tackle animations look right with these models.

All in all, Swordfish have done a great job with Rugby Challenge 2006. With a lot of depth, easy controls and exciting game play, this game should compete with the EA Rugby Series for a few years to come. In fact I can’t comprehend why Swordfish won’t be making another sports game â€" at least in the short term. Whether it is Cricket or Rugby, Swordfish have proved their worth.

Gameplay â€" 9/10, incredibly fun and perfect in almost every way.
Graphics â€" 8/10, not as good as EA’s, but it isn’t a simulation.
Features â€" 9/10, a lot of licences and a plenty of depth.
Lifespan â€" 9/10, you’ll want to keep playing for some time.
Overall â€" 9/10, a huge step up from WCR and great arcade action to boot!

The thing I found about writing a review for this was it was that the game was so good. I find it easier to right a review when a game needs some work - that's why my RL2 one was good.

What do you think? Feedback...

Good review.

Two issues though.

1) You can jump to contest the high ball.

2) The use of ";". Very unattractive if used too often... I should know, all of my English teachers have told me off in the past for ";" overuse.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

But seriously, good review.

Just kidding. I didn't read it.

Originally posted by kinkon89@Feb 7 2006, 07:34 PM
hey ERIC werent you a mod?
Eric was never a mod. That status is reserved for people post-puberty with money.

um kathy, my english teacher says it is better to use a semi-colon rather than a comma; thus it is proved.

Originally posted by Jacko@Feb 7 2006, 08:18 PM
um kathy, my english teacher says it is better to use a semi-colon rather than a comma; thus it is proved.
Only in certain occassions.

While technically it was in the correct place, in forms of writing such as columns or opinion reviews, you barely ever see it for the one simple reason, it is very ugly.

A general rule that I try and stick to (I use it very often also...) is to use it when stating a list in paragraphs...

Anyway, take this criticism as a compliment. It's a very trivial matter based more on opinion than actual rules.

Nice review. I agree with most of what you said. I'd just give it an 8/10 however...

For comparison purposes, I give Rugby 2005 a 6.5/10

Nice review, shame the reply's have taken this thread off-topic though.

Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 7 2006, 09:05 PM
Nice review, shame the reply's have taken this thread off-topic though.
:huh: No they haven't...

Okay, two of them were, but since then we've been on topic.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 7 2006, 06:57 PM
Good review.

Two issues though.

1) You can jump to contest the high ball.

2) The use of ";". Very unattractive if used too often... I should know, all of my English teachers have told me off in the past for ";" overuse.
Love the way you picked him up on his ; use yet let this slide:

I find it easier to right a review when a game .......[/b]

I want this game so bad, but have to wait till the 24th... :cryy:

Nice views there Jacko, I want it even more now though... :wah:

Good Review Lattimore :p

you forgot too mention you make a good openside flanker :bleh!:

Does anyone knoe what position I am?

I asked before but no one answered..

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 8 2006, 10:33 AM
Good Review Lattimore :p

you forgot too mention you make a good openside flanker :bleh!:
Great, I need one of those...

I'm finally in division 2.

Got my coaches maxed out. It's a shame really. You can afford to have them maxed out, on top of buying some 50grand players.... Money is too easy to come buy.

Best player: Someone Nastase.... He's been playing like a machine at Openside.... As has Mr. Henderson at lock.

My brand new left wing, Someone Aqir or Waqir or someone was my worst buy. 40grand or something but injured for 6 weeks in his first game. Lucky I had good, reliable John Smedley on backup....

Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 8 2006, 08:34 AM
Does anyone knoe what position I am?

I asked before but no one answered..
....bench?..cheerleader?..waterboy?...

Latest posts