• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Knee protectors allowed?

Nielsch

Bench Player
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
England
Just wondering whether knee protectors like this are allowed on the pitch. Seem to comply with IRB regulations but just want to be sure before ordering.

03.jpg

IRB regulations state:

[h=3]4.1 ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF CLOTHING[/h](a) A player may wear supports made of elasticated or compressible materials which must be washable.

Any other solutions for knee protection are welcome as well.

The word "knee" isn't mentioned in the entire IRB clothing regulation. http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/060924gfirbregulation12_879.pdf

I did see this near the top:

A player must not wear any item of which any part is thicker than 0.5cm when uncompressed or is denser than 45 kilograms per cubic
metre unless specified within this Regulation 12/Law 4. Where this
overall thickness consists of padded material covered by fabric, 0.5
cm is the maximum measured thickness for the combination of the
uncompressed padding and the fabric. The fabric can contribute up to
a maximum measured thickness of 1 mm on each side of the padding.

You are allowed to strap your knee's so I can't see why knee-pads wouldn't be allowed. But I would make sure they are much softer than shoulder pads just to be safe.

I would definitely wear that if i was playing on the Sarries pitch.

The word "knee" isn't mentioned in the entire IRB clothing regulation. http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/060924gfirbregulation12_879.pdf

I did see this near the top:

You are allowed to strap your knee's so I can't see why knee-pads wouldn't be allowed. But I would make sure they are much softer than shoulder pads just to be safe.

Well the ones pictured are (I think) thicker than 0,5 cm so I will probably have to find something else. Something like this for instance:

MU427.jpg

I just don't see how this is gonna protect my knees from pain when I make hard impact with the pitch.

Me left knee is oversensitive to impact. Everytime I get a (little) knock it hurts like hell. Last night during practice I tackled the opposing center and hit the ground with my knee, after which I needed a couple of minutes to recover. I'm looking for something to absorb impact in order to make my knee hurt less. Any tips?

If it really is that bad, maybe just go with the first knee pad you said. As long as it doesn't make you harder to tackle it should get passed the safety checks. (ie: imagine someone wearing 2 knee pads both re-enforced with a hard material inside, they'd be very difficult to tackle head on).

If it does have an impact, then I'd just go with heavy strapping. Or maybe light strapping with a knee pad over the top.

You could even use illegal padding in training if your teammates are ok with it. Just don't use it in games.

If you're going to wear one buy two , And wear one on each legs. Wearing heavy strapping is painting a big fat bullseye for some of the more morally questionable players on the opposition

Well I went for the second padding type of padding which is helping a bit, not much though. Thinking about getting the first one, at least for practice.

If you're going to wear one buy two , And wear one on each legs. Wearing heavy strapping is painting a big fat bullseye for some of the more morally questionable players on the opposition

True, I already thought of that. The worst pain comes from tackling someone myself though, banging my knees on the pitch in the process.

Same issue

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I have the exactly the same problem with my knee(s). Where did you find this knee protector? I can't find anything like it unless it's for something like volleyball! :lol:

Some advice, which you should feel free to ignore. I went to see a physio about it today actually. She said that although I've likely sprained my medial knee ligament (lightly) - the majority of the pain is coming from the fascia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia). She did some really painful massaging of that area and I already feel a huge improvement.

This doesn't mean it'll get easier on the knocks - but at least you know what might be the cause of the pain! Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I have the exactly the same problem with my knee(s). Where did you find this knee protector? I can't find anything like it unless it's for something like volleyball! :lol:

Some advice, which you should feel free to ignore. I went to see a physio about it today actually. She said that although I've likely sprained my medial knee ligament (lightly) - the majority of the pain is coming from the fascia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia). She did some really painful massaging of that area and I already feel a huge improvement.

This doesn't mean it'll get easier on the knocks - but at least you know what might be the cause of the pain! Good luck!

I used to wear a tubi-grip style knee support following my knee injury, not that it mattered, I made it 1 training session on my return before decided I didn't want to continue playing and retired.

Latest posts