• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kookaburra withdraws graphite bat

W

woosaah

Kookaburra withdraws graphite bat

Cricinfo staff

February 16, 2006

Kookaburra's graphite bat

The ICC has announced that Kookaburra, the Australian bat manufacturer, have agreed to the immediate voluntary withdrawal of its graphite reinforced bat from international cricket.

The offer was made after the ICC informed Kookaburra that it had received an opinion from MCC, the guardian of the Laws of Cricket, that the bat contravened Law 6 and, in the MCC's view, was illegal.

With several players in the world - including Ricky Ponting, Justin Langer, Nathan Astle and Sanath Jayasuriya - currently or soon to participate in international cricket matches, Kookaburra has undertaken to re-supply all international cricketers with alternate bats as soon as possible and the ICC has accepted its assurances that this will be done with all possible speed.

[/b]

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content...ory/237489.html
237488.jpg

Looks like Astle and Ponting wont be using their fav bats in the near future. Wonder what bats they use, i hope they all dont end up using beasts.

this had to happen

only days ago i was arguing with mates saying the bats are too good

brett lee was hitting sixes at rediculous lengths

its not the athlete - its the tool

if Brett Lee can legitmately hit furthur than Clive Loyd - I am Don Bradman

Glad they are illegal

Bats should be 100% Willow - and thats that

the bats are VERY good now days, some woods are more dense than others which makes it better for hitting. but yeah i agree.

but if i can hit a six with my slazenger v800 thats a few years old and needs an oil it must be me, not my tool. I am sure they can use their tool to hit further than me.

wait... that sounded gay

ahh well who cares :)

Yah no more metal bats! :bana: :bana: :bana:

It was unfair on everyone else who has a proper bat ie wooden.

I also have a Slazenger V800 thats a few years old. I can still hit the ball a very long way with it and it is still my favourite bat.

Coco

The fact is though it is still under the legal weight limit... it's no stiffy - um, forget it.

Maybe it does give the bat more strength but, hey I think it is just for reinforcement. Brett Lee was already a good batsman before he got his woody graphite - he's just got better now.

Hmm I wonder why. He is a good batsmen and is strong but I think the carbon graphite reinforcement was just pushing at the boundaries.

Coco

i jsut decided to look in this section, i could tell you guys why they recalled them

well here in the states as you all know we play baseball. the reason why when your younger (not in the pro leagues) you are able to use metallic bats is because the speed of the thrown ball is not enough to cause a major impact. but the thing is, is that these bats keep getting lighter, and the lighter they are the faster they can be swung, the faster they can be swung, the faster the batted ball comes off, the speed of the ball plus the speed of the bat will equal more speed of the off coming ball.

so if they made the graphite bats with the speed the cricket ball is being thrown at it could be pretty dangerous..

thats just my guess..

Originally posted by DC13@Feb 21 2006, 12:57 PM
i jsut decided to look in this section, i could tell you guys why they recalled them

well here in the states as you all know we play baseball. the reason why when your younger (not in the pro leagues) you are able to use metallic bats is because the speed of the thrown ball is not enough to cause a major impact. but the thing is, is that these bats keep getting lighter, and the lighter they are the faster they can be swung, the faster they can be swung, the faster the batted ball comes off, the speed of the ball plus the speed of the bat will equal more speed of the off coming ball.

so if they made the graphite bats with the speed the cricket ball is being thrown at it could be pretty dangerous..

thats just my guess..
good guessing DC

kookaburra maintain they werent perofrmance enhancing - prolly not

but what they didnt take into account is that these bats were made thinner, and lighter, then added with graphic cover, for qulaity protection

anything in the world of bats or club made thinner and lighter will need some reinforcement to maintain quality....

that reinforcement, will keep the current weight of the new technology, but keep the quality to that of the old standard

thus a lighter bat can be swung quicker, shots bigger

spot on DC

Yeah...but Gilchrist uses the heaviest bat possible ....... and he's the biggest hitter around so...
huh.gif

meh it should just be kept the way it is IMO

i still have the image of Denis Lillie and his aluminium bat being thrown around because he wasnt allowed to use it

funny :)

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 21 2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah...but Gilchrist uses the heaviest bat possible ....... and he's the biggest hitter around so...
huh.gif
im sure you guys have heard of him, babe ruth in baseball here,back in the day, its said that he used a 40 ounce baseball bat, by far the heaviest ever.. well mass x force = speed or somethin like that :lol: but the key thing to remember is thatif you have a heavy heavy bat, and your very strong you can still swing it quick and the amount of mass the bat has combined wit the speed of the ball, it will go far..

I've had a few swings with those graphite bats - whilst I would love to be able to use them they do give you one hell of an advantage.

Latest posts