• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lancaster = Martin Johnson

Same can be said about Morne Steyn, who was a crash ball like centre when he started playing, and transformed him into the fly half everyone knows now.

Sorry, totally off topic I know but I wouldn't have associated "crash ball" and Morne Steyn in the same sentence, unless Steyn is the one getting crashed. :p One trick pony with the boot I thought.

Sorry, totally off topic I know but I wouldn't have associated "crash ball" and Morne Steyn in the same sentence, unless Steyn is the one getting crashed. :p One trick pony with the boot I thought.

I wonder if he was talking about his brother frans who is a big lad?

I wonder if he was talking about his brother frans who is a big lad?

No I was talking about Morne.

When Morne was U/20 he was a centre/fullback and was used as a crash ball runner and distributor. Then HM told him that he won't grow anymore and he should reconsider switching to fly half as he has the skills to be a good fly half.

But let's not go off topic...

Heyneke isn't afraid of moving players around is he?

Tom Youngs, Morne, Coonie... anyone else?

I think a better comparison would be Lancaster = Eddie O'Sullivan. He seems to be doing enough to keep the fan base happy in the same way. Positive PR and a record which usually reads 4 6 nations w's a home win vs a Sanzar side and losing admirably whenever he goes south. This is a way to waste a fantastic rugby team as any Irish fan knows. Despite being the better coach Eddie will be remembered negatively while Deccie, with the passing of time, will be remembered as the coach who brought us our second Grand Slam. Ultimately trophies are what coaches are judged on when they leave and Lancaster will have to add a few dimensions to his coaching to get some.

Lancaster has done a good job...however it is one or two areas that are causing the restlessness amongst the natives.

1) The inability to take their chances. We are creating them...we just have an apparent fear of actually scoring. A few chances taken turns defeats to wins which in turn pleases fans.
The problem is...this has been a problem for a number of years and doesnt seem to be getting rectified.

2) His reluctance to drop Farrell. Farrell Jr is still not totally over his summer injury and is out of form...yet he still is an automatic choice. Ford or Cipriani should have started. This also means that Farrell could be rested showing god man management. But he hasnt done this.

3) THe balance of the back row. 6 & 7 are a genuine issue to me. Too similar, and dont have enough influence on the game...i would actually direct that at Wood more than Robshaw.

Lancaster has built a very good strong team of grafters. Now he needs to bring in a few game changers like a firing Haskell or Ewers at 6 who can break the line...make bone crunching tackles...like Kaino does...

Then we can start with the backs....

Last edited:
Lancaster has done a good job...however it is one or two areas that are causing the restlessness amongst the natives.

1) The inability to take their chances. We are creating them...we just have an apparent fear of actually scoring. A few chances taken turns defeats to wins which in turn pleases fans.
The problem is...this has been a problem for a number of years and doesnt seem to be getting rectified.

2) His reluctance to drop Farrell. Farrell Jr is still not totally over his summer injury and is out of form...yet he still is an automatic choice. Ford or Cipriani should have started. This also means that Farrell could be rested showing god man management. But he hasnt done this.

3) THe balance of the back row. 6 & 7 are a genuine issue to me. Too similar, and dont have enough influence on the game...i would actually direct that at Wood more than Robshaw.

Lancaster has built a very good strong team of grafters. Now he needs to bring in a few game changers like a firing Haskell or Ewers at 6 who can break the line...make bone crunching tackles...like Kaino does...

Then we can start with the backs....

Agree with this, especially the 6 issue. I imagine our backs would start firing much better if we could reliably get quick recycled ball. Currently our backs always receive ball at a standstill against a defence that has had plenty of time to set itself up again because we can't win the breakdown decisively and our Scrumhalves seem to love ****ing around not picking the damn ball up, instead trying to marshall everyone before the next short burst. Seriously, they should cover this stuff in training so everyone should be prepared BEFORE the scrumhalf gets the ball so all he has to do is reach in and pass.

Latest posts