• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Larkham or Carter?

Who is the better Fly Half

• Larkham

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Carter

Votes: 31 83.8%

• Total voters
DC started off his career fairly good as oppose to Larkham who started his Wallaby journey as a fullback I believe and it wasnt a very good start for Larkham. But once he got confident and comfortable, no All Black or Springbok defence was safe.

Like most, its clearly obvious that DC is the total package but Larkhams attack is just as good as DCs.

I thought everyone called the first five eight, first five eight...

DC, Larkham, Mehrts, King Carlos, Morne Steyn, Wilko, Fox, Lynagh, Naas Botha, Neil Jenkins...theres a few good proven first fives/fly halfs.

Did Carter not start at No. 12? Larkham's first match at fly-half for Australia was acutally quite good.

I thought everyone called the first five eight, first five eight...

Nope. The No. 10 gets called first five-eighth, flyhalf, outside-half, outhalf and stand-off half depending on country.

Larkham in attack, but Carter is the more-rounded player by a long shot.
Both quality players and amongst the best who have ever played.

Did Carter not start at No. 12? Larkham's first match at fly-half for Australia was acutally quite good.

DC might've??...but I know DC had a good start when he came in, mind you he did have a good team to start out with.

About Larkham, I did mention at fullback. One of his first games for the Wallies was at fullback and it wasnt so good.

never like carlos...just saying, would rather have someone less "skilled" but a safer bet like tony brown

never like carlos...just saying, would rather have someone less "skilled" but a safer bet like tony brown
Or Nick Evans.

Carlos is very high risk/high reward - a lot like Quade (or vice versa actually). Both are very streaky/confidence type players.

my first memory of carter was against italy in the 2003 world cup. came of the bench and slotted into 12

DC played his first 14 tests at 12; his first test was in the starting XV against Wales in 2003 (55-3)

His first game off the bench was against Australia in 2003 in Sydney (50-21). He replaced Spencer, but Mauger moved in to 10 and Carter went to 12

He didn't start or even play at 10 until the 2004 match against Italy in Rome. However, he had always played at 10 for Southbridge, Canterbury and the Crusaders, with an occasional game at 15

It wasn't until the 2005 Lions tour that he truly showed his class in the 10 jersey.

Last edited:
Oh God.

Bernie.
I start crying everytime I think about him and those Wallabies.

He's my favourite player ever, he... well I don't know what kind of device he had, but looked he could stop time whenever he wants and quit among the defenders.
For vision he's been probably the best attacking flyhalf ever seen, he put man in the space EVERY time, like he was just looking, thinking, deciding and acting at double tempo than other people around him.

I loved him. I still love him and I still have that video on my mobile...

But to answer to this question you have to use your mind and not your heart, so the possible answer is only one.

NO VOTE for me :D

I think he remains the most feared Aussie player by the New Zealanders!

Last edited:
Oh God.

Bernie.
I start crying everytime I think about him and those Wallabies.

He's my favourite player ever, he... well I don't know what kind of device he had, but looked he could stop time whenever he wants and quit among the defenders.
For vision he's been probably the best attacking flyhalf ever seen, he put man in the space EVERY time, like he was just looking, thinking, deciding and acting at double tempo than other people around him.

I loved him. I still love him and I still have that video on my mobile...

But to answer to this question you have to use your mind and not your heart, so the possible answer is only one.

NO VOTE for me :D

I think he remains the most feared Aussie player by the New Zealanders!
lol homer post. :lol:

I'd have no problems voting for Genia as the best HB ever (providing he keeps it up). Don't see the same for some conceding this with All Black players...

Larkham was, and will always be one of my favorite Australian players...But Carter is one of the greatest players of all time.
Carter is a more complete player and has always had the advntage if sitting behind some of the best forwards in the world for all the time he played....unlike the ride that Larkham had. I loved the way Larkham toyed with the opposition and at times he made the AB's look very ordinary and tht is a mean feat!!!!! However, I would have to go with DC 9 times out of 10 if I had to choose

I'd have no problems voting for Genia as the best HB ever (providing he keeps it up). Don't see the same for some conceding this with All Black players...

For me - it's Gregan. Gregan and Mortlock are the aussie players I most feared. Larkham and George Smith would be next. Genia is certainly fantastic though, having a bit of a form slump atm.

I wouldn't call it a homer post. He's aware that DC is the best, but he won't vote against his man-love... Likewise, if Pocock one day improved to be undoubtedly the best openside ever, still most New Zealanders won't vote against McCaw in a poll as this one.

i think hooper is better than pocock... i think aaron smith is creeping up on genia at rapid speed...

best halfback ever... personally, i will def go for Pichot of ARG, man i loved that guy

Last edited:

Latest posts