• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League vs Union...

League vs Union (or vice versa)

I'll watch both if it's on TV, never been to a live league game through choice as a Southerner who's played Union all my playing life.

I appreciate different aspects of both.
BUT Union is more of a flowing game, to it's benefit, and for me the greater number of phases/options (incl scrums and lineouts) holds the key as it means there are not 13 similar sized blokes running at each other. Union appears to rely more heavily on key skills by certain individuals (eg Jonny W @ 10, Johnno @4, Woody @2) rather than a more jack-of-all-trades, master of none approach that I get from League.

Anyone else notice that a majority of the tries scored from League are just from Leaguies not being able to tackle? Didn't they teach them to tackle to legs, a majority of breaks are from them trying to hug the oppositions shoulders or doing a half hearted dive acting like they are actually tackling so they still get paid yet don't have the slim chance of getting hurt...why do we want thier players for our teams again? [/b]

Very silly statement when one considers that it is the influence of league defence coaches and ex-players that has been responsible for the tightened defences in Union over the past few years. Another point is that if you actually watched League you'd notice that a large number of tries are scored by precision kicks - which is the primary reason that the expertise of Andrew Johns has been sought by the wallabies.
As to why we want their players... well they're not being sought with the same fervour that they once were, but you have to remember that the NRL has 16 teams of full time and well paid professional footballers. The ARU has 4 teams - it's not a complicated equation.

I'm not reading that - so here's my answer. Union. Nuff said. [/b]
Yeah good one mate. If you don't have the capacity to read that, surely you must have got a friend or relative to register here for you?

the beauty of the union game is in the competition. competition for the ball that is. its not just 5 tackles and kick. that ball is always up for grabs. thats what i like about union, but not when george smith jackals the ball from the ABs

Latest posts