• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League vs Union...

Common... You can't compare the two. They are both great games in their own way.

League is a much tougher game to play though imo.

I think it's as simple as this:

league is for simple people with a short attention span.

Seriously it's just big blokes running into each other.
Strategy revolves around
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Pass out wide
Kick

I know some guys who when they are drunk play this game where they put saucepans on their heads and run into each other and the first one to fall over loses. To me league really isn't much more complicated that this.

Strategy revolves around
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Pass out wide
Kick

I know some guys who when they are drunk play this game where they put saucepans on their heads and run into each other and the first one to fall over loses. To me league really isn't much more complicated that this. [/b]

Thats cuz you played the saucepan game with me to many times in our younger years, and my sizeable difference over you caused you to get knocked out too much and become resentful towards such a clever game... :lol2tn:

Strategy revolves around
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Hit up
Pass out wide
Kick

I know some guys who when they are drunk play this game where they put saucepans on their heads and run into each other and the first one to fall over loses. To me league really isn't much more complicated that this. [/b]

Basically you fall into the category of "I have nothing to add to this debate but boorish child-like insults" - in future leave that for the BANANAS section.

It sounds like the NRL to me alright, but that's a different story altogether......

Despite his crudeness he is essentially correct no? [/b]

Put simply - No.

If you think that's all there is to League, then I would suggest you don't watch it.

<div class='quotemain'> Despite his crudeness he is essentially correct no? [/b]

Put simply - No.

If you think that's all there is to League, then I would suggest you don't watch it.
[/b][/quote]
I stopped watching long ago :) Besides your odd 'nothing else on tv' moment....

I like league because it is much easier to follow and is always full of big hits but i stil like union more mainly because it is more of an international game, only 3 teams are competitive in the international arena in league and even then the kangaroos normally thrash every1 else anyway

League is not my type of game. The players are not making enough physical contact. Union is great. Contact is made and you have to work for the ball

I like both games, but what really gets under my skin about both sports is the amount of penalties and policing around the ruck area. With league in particular, the rules about holding down in the tackle result in ridiculous penalties which makes the game unattractive.

I enjoy both codes but prefer Union, I find union more 3 dimensional, in attempting to speed league up they have stripped out some of the uncertainty

Being Canadian, I've had very little exposure to either codes of rugby and league even less than union. I do find that league is very similar to gridiron over here. The athletes are extremely tough and well-developed, but the mechanics of the game are fairly simple and direct for the players and as such there is no development of the players tactics and essentially their athletic mind. To me, a union player is a much more complete athlete because the mental and physical really need to work together with even genetic freaks such as jonah lomu who you'd think wouldn't really have to worry about tactics and just bash it up. gridiron players don't really have much to understand, just a lot to remember, they're turned into machines and it's the coaches who call the plays. I'd say that league is fairly similar (albeit a step up from gridiron) in that without rucks and mauls and the rest of the good stuff in Union, you can't really create the most creative player.

well actually i think that some of the best playmakers are leaguies because they have far less room to work with.. in league the defensive patterns have a lot more time to set, and you have to really run good lines and put balls in the right place much better in order to break the line.. I think Joey, Thurston, etc are some of the btter playmakers in eitehr code for this reason.. but i dont think their bodies could stand up to union because they wouldnt be able to handle getting polaxed by 110kg blokes regularly, or getting squashed at the bottom of rucks..

Anyone else notice that a majority of the tries scored from League are just from Leaguies not being able to tackle? Didn't they teach them to tackle to legs, a majority of breaks are from them trying to hug the oppositions shoulders or doing a half hearted dive acting like they are actually tackling so they still get paid yet don't have the slim chance of getting hurt...why do we want thier players for our teams again?

Anyone else notice that a majority of the tries scored from League are just from Leaguies not being able to tackle? Didn't they teach them to tackle to legs, a majority of breaks are from them trying to hug the oppositions shoulders or doing a half hearted dive acting like they are actually tackling so they still get paid yet don't have the slim chance of getting hurt...why do we want thier players for our teams again? [/b]

Crock of shite. Again.

<div class='quotemain'> Anyone else notice that a majority of the tries scored from League are just from Leaguies not being able to tackle? Didn't they teach them to tackle to legs, a majority of breaks are from them trying to hug the oppositions shoulders or doing a half hearted dive acting like they are actually tackling so they still get paid yet don't have the slim chance of getting hurt...why do we want thier players for our teams again? [/b]

Crock of shite. Again.
[/b][/quote]
I dunno, I was just watching a game today and that is exactly what happened, there seems to be too much of an emphasis on gang tackling so if one player goes in by themselves they can often be beaten by the offense....

well actually i think that some of the best playmakers are leaguies because they have far less room to work with.. in league the defensive patterns have a lot more time to set, and you have to really run good lines and put balls in the right place much better in order to break the line.. [/b]

i'd say the opposite. In League the defence is 10m further back, so less pressure on the first recievers. Part of the reason why playmakers for League (e.g. Harris and Paul) while undoubtedly great players failed to succeed where out and out finishers like Robinson and Sailor succeeded. for me League is quicker, easier to watch and full of skill. The bash bash boredom can happen, but it can too with union. Union is slower and more static. Players generally have less room, but they have to work harder for posession and i'd say the game is tactically more varied. Once the line is broken, the games can be remarkably similar, and many skills tranfer across both codes. I'm a union fan mostly, but to be honest that's only because of where i could easily follow one teams games live. Both codes are equal as far as i'm concerned.

Latest posts